A Long Pole

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would ask them to provide some advice about the allowable movement in the glue joint, is it supposed to be zero or can it move +/- a fraction of a mm with the expansion and contraction of the aluminium due to temperature. Once you've got a firm answer, survey the frame with a feeler gauge and publish the information online. It would be pretty simple to photograph the feeler gauge in the slot and then write the measurement on the frame with a Sharpie (not at election time though, Sharpies cause fake votes).
Check it every month or so and publish the results online. That way it's completely transparent but if Leo wants to send it back to you he needs to 110% aware that if the joint starts to open up again the results will be widely published.

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
I would ask them to provide some advice about the allowable movement in the glue joint, is it supposed to be zero or can it move +/- a fraction of a mm with the expansion and contraction of the aluminium due to temperature. Once you've got a firm answer, survey the frame with a feeler gauge and publish the information online. It would be pretty simple to photograph the feeler gauge in the slot and then write the measurement on the frame with a Sharpie (not at election time though, Sharpies cause fake votes).
Check it every month or so and publish the results online. That way it's completely transparent but if Leo wants to send it back to you he needs to 110% aware that if the joint starts to open up again the results will be widely published.
Haha I started to type a similar post last night but thought again after a recent comment somewhere about armchair experts with no expertise,
Is there a detectable gap at the bond line? If there isn't then mark your measurement points on the frame and get a small steel rule with 0.5mm graduations and place that across the joint lining up on the same edge each time and photograph it regularly(being mindful of parallax error)
That would probably look even better in pics :)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Worth pointing out to Leo if you didn't already that the price will be fairly high if he fucks up his decision re your frame. Seeing as how yours would be one of the first warranty knock backs under his new world order and you're one of "those people" who are fairly vocal across social media, if it fails then their already precarious position will only get worse. If he acknowledges that fact then he must be confident in your frame still being ok
This is a great approach, hold him accountable.

Also, considering the recent bad publicity and changes made, he could have created wonderful PR by offering to replace the frames for free or minimal cost. Seems the titles may change, but the end result is still him being so headstrong that the company fails

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Only been 1x or those that I know of. 5x frames were deemed failed on the same day mine was inspected.
Guess I need good health cover and a lawyer if they are still around. Would be a hard sell or I run it into the ground literally
Just make sure u read the fine print of the health cover... if they ever get a wind that your frame is not "ride worthy", they may refuse your claim.

Sorry to hear all of this @Wake Jake. I wasn't impressed with Pole when my evolink didn't arrive. I'm further less impressed now.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I have it from Leo and their CS that frame has passed their 'testing regime'. He has never stated an actual tolerance for the lip.
Thanks komdotcam I am going to do exactly this. I have obtained a feeler gauge for use. I can only assume mine would have to damn close to it. So I will use what it is currently there to measure off. Measure and photograph after each ride and log it all.
The frame is still at Pole it turns out waiting on updated sleeves be made to go through links that will apparently stop the knocking noise I had.

Now I'm torn on which avenue to go down now that this thing is super nice in the flesh.
IMG_20201113_165715_copy_1600x1200.jpg

Jpez

Down on the left!
I have it from Leo and their CS that frame has passed their 'testing regime'. He has never stated an actual tolerance for the lip.
Thanks komdotcam I am going to do exactly this. I have obtained a feeler gauge for use. I can only assume mine would have to damn close to it. So I will use what it is currently there to measure off. Measure and photograph after each ride and log it all.
The frame is still at Pole it turns out waiting on updated sleeves be made to go through links that will apparently stop the knocking noise I had.

Now I'm torn on which avenue to go down now that this thing is super nice in the flesh.
View attachment 369249
Won’t you always have the ‘Is today the day my bike explodes?” thoughts running through your head? I know I would. That’d ruin the ride pretty quick for me so I know which avenue I’d be going down.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do you know a clyde who can do some hill climbs on bitumen to get the torsional loads up on it? Should be relatively risk free and the twisting should open it up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What a fucktastic fiasco! I hope this all turns out for the best. I know I'd be requesting a refund rather than a return.

moorey

call me Mia

View attachment 369249
Keen to hear your verdict. They already had my attention, then listened to the Downtime podcast.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Won’t you always have the ‘Is today the day my bike explodes?” thoughts running through your head? I know I would. That’d ruin the ride pretty quick for me so I know which avenue I’d be going down.
Yeah I would't be able to get that out of my head. Ask for a refund, not worth eating rocks if your bike splits in half. I think the days of trusting Pole and their engineering are long gone.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Yeah I would't be able to get that out of my head. Ask for a refund, not worth eating rocks if your bike splits in half. I think the days of trusting Pole and their engineering are long gone.
Problem is they have deemed the frame A-OK so refund in their eyes is not valid. Going to FCA would not really result in much success I feel. They can only encourage Pole to follow consumer law if there's a case there. It would be a he said she said case. Finnish culture is that no one likes to make a fuss or upset others.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Problem is they have deemed the frame A-OK so refund in their eyes is not valid. Going to FCA would not really result in much success I feel. They can only encourage Pole to follow consumer law if there's a case there. It would be a he said she said case. Finnish culture is that no one likes to make a fuss or upset others.
Lucky you're not Finnish...I'd give it a try. Something like "don't send it yet...I'm reaching out to the FCA." Though that might result in a "ooooops already sent it."

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

View attachment 369249
Love that colour. Hope it’s made of sturdier stuff than the pole. My experience with Hunt wheels has been good so I wouldn’t hesitate to have Privateer on my list if I was looking for a new frame