A science nerd thread.

Beej1

I have heard about the movie, is it a movie that has to be watched in a theatre to appreciate, or will a decent sized plasma be good to watch it?
Tough question I guess - with a little bit of personal preference thrown in. Personally I would recommend seeing it in IMAX at least once while it's showing, as I'll explain below. Pls ignore if you're not really 'into' movies as such as it'll probably all sound like a big wank - in which case the TL:DR; version: I'd def see it in a cinema at least once, otherwise yeah, a good plasma/LCD/DLP Projector with a proper 5.1 or more channel sound system will be better than not seeing it at all. A handicam job would suck though - it deserves 1080p BluRay at the very least.

Why it's awesome in IMAX:
Due to the director being a big fan of the format, it has more footage filmed with IMAX 15/70 cameras than any other movie to date. In case you don't know what that means: IMAX 15/70 film is not your standard 16:9 aspect ratio film, and is significantly bigger per frame which lends itself to better imagery in the same way that a big, printed picture taken with an iPhone looks shit compared to a big, printed picture taken with a DSLR (see picture below ... 10 frames of 35mm 16:9 film can fit into one frame of IMAX 15/70 film). In addition, the IMAX film obviously works better with the enormous IMAX screen size - particularly it's height. But being a regular movie i.e. not an IMAX documentary, there's lots of quiet dialog scenes which don't always work with IMAX cameras being so noisy (they're enormous, require lots of fans to cool and motors to run that huge film around). So Interstellar - along with The Dark Knight & The Dark Knight Rises (two other Christopher Nolan films) - has most of it's dialog scenes shot with regular 35mm 16:9 cameras and a lot of it's action or more dramatic external scenes shot with IMAX 15/70, and the aspect ratio shifts between 16:9 and 15/70 while you're watching. That sounds like it'd be annoying, but it's not. It's like a wow-punch in the face when it shifts to IMAX as you get a mild sensory overload of imagery compared to the dialog scene you were just watching, then you hardly notice it switch back. In Nolan's films it's often accompanied by a change in the musical score at the same time to enhance the effect. I totally thought it would suck balls, but it works. Bear in mind this is only on IMAX screens ... regular 16:9 cinemas it stays the same but the IMAX scenes are obviously cropped top & bottom.

Untitled-2.jpg

So ... essentially the director of the movie intended it to be viewed in IMAX cinemas. The IMAX in Melbourne is significantly huge, and has AWESOME audio as well - which IMO is very important. Obviously, not everyone has access to this (IMAX screens in regular cinemas - common in the US - doesn't count). In which case I always like to see films known for having big action scenes (e.g Avengers) or amazing imagery (e.g Prometheus) at least once in the cinema. Interstellar falls into this category - there are several scenes containing things which just won't translate the scale on a TV, no matter how big a 4K job it is. Most other movies I'm interested in (plain old dramas, comedies etc) ... pfft ... wait for DVD or for someone to torrent a good rip of the DVD.

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Definitely see it at the cinema, dunno if it needs to be imax, I just went to a normal cinemas big screen one and it was great. Only problem was the sub bass at one point seemed to shake a cab enough that it started to rattle the mount.

Bermshot

Banned
Bermshot is most likely still a primate...an often incoherent primate...but a primate nonetheless. Unless I'm in the wrong movie and he's a Replicant.
I talked science, albeit a anti. Nor did I talk Hollywood. The expectation of me "likely" being base and traveling in mean streets of consciousness appeares to be correct, Oh Yeah!

Bermshot

Banned
How does dribbling academia explain this? (And it's but nothing compared.)
image.jpg

Of course that dog Aweiss (? Egyptian "historian") won't go near this.
image.jpg

Is this not science? Nay, do these enigmas not warrant proper scientific investigation? If ye say no, Lo the woman that is denied truth.

Oh shit balls!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Bermshot

Banned
Remember civilisation is only 8000 yrs began (Sumer?,) what we're taught.

No!

We have Gobekli Tepe, confirmed 'at least' 10.000BC......
image.jpg

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
OK lets do this the scientific way:

How does dribbling academia explain this? (And it's but nothing compared.)
View attachment 302317
can you verify what this photo is, aside from a diver looking at some underwater blocks? where are your references? what even is *this*? and what is the 'but nothing'?

be clear, concise, and relevant. We have no idea what you're even talk about, let alone any idea of whether it's a sculpture in your fish bowl or not.

Of course that dog Aweiss (? Egyptian "historian") won't go near this.
View attachment 302318

Is this not science? Nay, do these enigmas not warrant proper scientific investigation? If ye say no, Lo the woman that is denied truth.
well, see above, I won't write it out again. They look like blocks of concrete. prove to us that they are something actually worth investigating.

um, yep. it's a pretty picture. If you made that with shit balls, it's a fucking amazing bit of art. But science? where?

re: civilisation, where do we 'get taught' that civilisation began magically 8000 years ago? what of evidence of agriculture pre-10k years ago (https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/development-of-agriculture/), and ceremonial burials pre-30k years ago (start here, read the references: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mungo_remains)?

what's your measure for 'civilisation'?

Seems like you're pissed at all of science because someone taught you that civilisation began at 8000 years ago, but there are clearly a few other blind prejudices in there!

Do some homework before going and shitting in the sandpit. Or... actually, no. give us the full rant. It'll give me something to giggle at on a Sunday arvo. Might need a few beers first!

Last edited:

Beej1

I can help you out here:
can you verify what this photo is, aside from a diver looking at some underwater blocks? where are your references? what even is *this*? and what is the 'but nothing'?
I was curious myself ... love underwater shit like this. A quick google image search reveals it is indeed an underwater pyramid apparently found only late last year near the Azores. Precisely 5 minutes of googling later and I can only mostly find conspiracy theories about it's existence, which is itself interesting. My guess is it's just bad planning on behalf of the builders.
"Reckon it'll be alright here on this island?"
"Shit yea brah, call in the slaves"

I'm guessing Bermshot is excited about it being ridiculously old or something. Older than folk thought such civs existed. I'm interested enough to read a little more once I finish here. Might be tough to separate the nutter conspiracies from any actual scientific research being done.

EDIT: actually, although the image Bermshot used is being tied to lots of pages about this pyramid story (which, after subsequent minutes seems to be mostly BS and probably just a natural formation), the actual picture of the diver next to that formation is most likely here in Japan:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni_Monument

well, see above, I won't write it out again. They look like blocks of concrete. prove to us that they are something actually worth investigating.
Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_the_Pregnant_Woman

Nothing too exciting. Big fucking stone. The SciFi nerd in me likes that it's called a Monolith. Doubt it'll be full of stars though.

um, yep. it's a pretty picture. If you made that with shit balls, it's a fucking amazing bit of art. But science? where?
Apparently called 'Shi Cheng'. Another underwater city find that's sposed to be like super old. As with the first one ... might do a bit of reading myself. Try and sort the nutter crap out from anything actual scientific folk are doing.

re: civilisation, where do we 'get taught' that civilisation began magically 8000 years ago?
Young Earth creationism has a surprisingly large swathe of misguided folk (mostly Christians & Jews) who genuinely believe Earth, and indeed the Universe, to be roughly this old. They way I understand it, someone literally tried to match everything in the bible to time periods and came up with this magic number (or range). I love their response to dinosaurs - well known to have existed tens of thousands of years prior. I've read a few: "Fossils are hoaxes or secular lies from the devil himself" or... "The fossils were placed by god to test our strength of will" ... or something like that. Oh ... sorry. I lower-cased god. Crap ... did it again.

Last edited:

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
spoiler... I wanted bermshot to get on and let loose the electrons :)

I can help you out here:
...indeed an underwater pyramid apparently found only late last year near the Azores.
"Reckon it'll be alright here on this island?"
"Shit yea brah, call in the slaves"
The azores, a volcanic island chain near the junction of three tectonic plates. I see no reason why things should stay above water permanently. If it is even actually a pyramid...

Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_the_Pregnant_Woman

Nothing too exciting. Big fucking stone. The SciFi nerd in me likes that it's called a Monolith. Doubt it'll be full of stars though.
Ah that. The BFS.

Apparently called 'Shi Cheng'. Another underwater city find that's sposed to be like super old. As with the first one ... might do a bit of reading myself. Try and sort the nutter crap out from anything actual scientific folk are doing.
1300 years old, Han dynasty, flooded by a hydrolectric dam in 1959. nothing to see here unless you're a recreational diver.

Thanks for the tip offs, that was a fun ten minutes of googling!

I love their response to dinosaurs - well known to have existed tens of millions of years prior.
fixed that for you ;)

maybe it was all a big troll, in which case - got me!

Bermshot

Banned
Good on the self investigation nuke.

OK, so like many other things, the history books are not being re-written for what has and is being discovered.

As this Is the case whether you adhere to it or not, you have no choice but to do your own research, as nuke stated, one must cut through the BS, (wikipedia?)
Of course you Must tow the party line as a academic, it is your job. Let's be clear here, self interest is at stake, to present even blatant evidence against the current curriculum will bring ruin. And if you are too persistent, death.

History as we are taught is rife with holes. As one looks into what is unfortunately termed, Forbidden Archeology, examples against "the curriculum" come thick and fast.

nuke is indeed correct that that "pyramid" is off of the coast of Japan.

OK, so the Chinese/Korean exodos began some 2k years ago. Thus we can logically rule them out as the builders. Nature rarely builds in straight lines -I only have to look outside to see that- so perception covers that. One more thing to consider is there was/are a people called the Ainu -fair skinned and some with blond hair and blue eyes- that lived on all four Islands.

Outlay of said monument.
image.jpg

I took this from here:http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Ainu

Some commentators believe that the Ainu derive from an ancient proto-Northern Mongoloid peoples that may have occupied parts of Central and East Asia before the Han expansion (see Jomon people). Various other Mongoloid indigenous peoples, such as the Ryukyuans, are thought to be closely related to them. The Ainu people have a legend that says, "The Ainu lived in this place a hundred thousand years before the Children of the Sun came."

Last edited:

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good on the self investigation nuke.

OK, so like many other things, the history books are not being re-written for what has and is being discovered.

As this Is the case whether you adhere to it or not, you have no choice but to do your own research, as nuke stated, one must cut through the BS, (wikipedia?)
Of course you Must tow the party line as a academic, it is your job. Let's be clear here, self interest is at stake, to present even blatant evidence against the current curriculum will bring ruin. And if you are too persistent, death.
So you discredit Wikipedia on the basis that it's bullshit, yet source drivel from the wiki of a church cult that has taken (then modified) most of their articles from wikipedia in the first place?

Also, are you saying that if a scholar proposes new research that doesn't support the current curriculum, they'll eventually be killed? Is there any evidence of this claim?

I don't know what's funnier...?

Bermshot

Banned
So you discredit Wikipedia on the basis that it's bullshit, yet source drivel from the wiki of a church cult that has taken (then modified) most of their articles from wikipedia in the first place?

Also, are you saying that if a scholar proposes new research that doesn't support the current curriculum, they'll eventually be killed? Is there any evidence of this claim?

I don't know what's funnier...?
What is funny is whilst I try to write, I'm bombed by bigger scumbags than you propose to be.

First, I put up a belief from the Ainu, if you choose to discredit that source fine, the source isn't important, use Wiki if it pleases you. The point was 'Ainu belief,' (do you deny indigenous belief?) or are you still on attack?

2nd: I said a academic that produces evidence -strong- that opposes current curriculum will by necessity find themselves quickly as an outcast. If by their evidence and self belief they attempt to present knowledge outside the "network," and it is too important for the mundane, or if the mundane find out, you will "die."

I will give you nothing on the scientists that have "died" for truth. If you are one, you know what to do.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is funny is whilst I try to write, I'm bombed by bigger scumbags than you propose to be.
Sorry, nothing to do with me - I'm not proposing to be anything. You've labelled me as a scumbag because I pointed out that your argument (Wikipedia being BS), clashes with the fact that the site you referenced copied (mostly) the same Wikipedia article. Not that I try and pass off Wikipedia as a highly credible source - all my assignments ask for peer reviewed work.

First, I put up a belief from the Ainu, if you choose to discredit that source fine, the source isn't important, use Wiki if it pleases you. The point was 'Ainu belief,' (do you deny indigenous belief?) or are you still on attack?
Yes, you put up a belief that they were around 100,000years before children of the sun. I don't deny indigenous belief - I don't think I can? But I don't believe in most indigenous belief - For instance, I don't believe that a great rainbow serpent created all the rivers and valleys in Australia...
I also believe the source is important, but that's another story.

2nd: I said a academic that produces evidence -strong- that opposes current curriculum will by necessity find themselves quickly as an outcast. If by their evidence and self belief they attempt to present knowledge outside the "network," and it is too important for the mundane, or if the mundane find out, you will "die."
Ok so the die reference was just being melodramatic - that's fine by me. I understand now that you are saying that if there is a groundbreaking revelation, it will be hushed up and you'll hear no more about it from academics that are outside the 'network'. A conspiracy, if you will?

I will give you nothing on the scientists that have "died" for truth. If you are one, you know what to do.
I don't really know how to respond to that? I'm not a scientist (yet), but I'll keep my eyes and ears open!

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt

I call troll. Or stoner. Or 15 year old. Or 15 year old stoner troll... But here, have some bait. Scientists spend all their time finding evidence (real, actual evidence as opposed to photoshopped internet pictures) which alters the way we view the world. And then they spend a metric fucktonne of time making sure that the evidence is actual, real evidence. Well, that's how it's supposed to work anyways. I'm trying to finish a PhD right now, and have been involved in publishing a bunch of stuff. Some of it is new, some of it is incremental, all of it changes ever so slightly how our physical world is viewed.

What I really want to know, though - for my future science career - is what is the "network", and how should I spot it? And who are the mundane - are they liberal voters? zombies? And what happens when we "die"? is that the same as actual dying, or is it something special conferred upon nasty, evidence finding scientists by the "network"? Finally, what is the "curriculum" - this seems really important!

Help me out here - I don't necessarily plan a career as a academic, or even an academic - but I've still got science to get published and a thesis to write!