Active suspension

sut

Squid
Could someone explain what this is? Is a four bar with a horst link an active suspension set-up? help.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
As we read this, Socket is taking a few slow, deep breaths and preparing himself... the crowd goes quiet... and then...

sut

Squid
So is he saying, the guy who wrote 'Path Analysis', that there is basically not much difference between the a mono pivot and a four bar, that it is mostly an advertising ploy? sorry my phsyics abilities have long left the room or never actually got in the door.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'active suspension' is a marketing term. Best way to see how suspension works is to ride it and see how it goes for ya... all the techy stuff will drive you bonkers... just look at Socket....

Rik

logged out
sut said:
So is he saying, the guy who wrote 'Path Analysis', that there is basically not much difference between the a mono pivot and a four bar, that it is mostly an advertising ploy? sorry my phsyics abilities have long left the room or never actually got in the door.
The way I see a non-horst 4 bar (I may be wrong), but it's basically a single pivot, but the linkage tunes the shock to give the characteristics wanted. That and it helps beef up the rear end in terms of lateral strength.
So a 4bar is just like a big single pivot running a moto-type linkage. In my eyes anyway.

S.

ex offender
bazza said:
i reakon he is not replying because he is sick of replying to these threads.
No, I was away camping :)

Active suspension = marketing term. They use it to IMPLY that the suspension will work properly at all times, whether you're pedalling, braking, whatever. 99% of the time it's just BS.