Adding gears to Dirt Jumper? Haro Steel Reserve 1.2

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to add gears to a Dirt Jumper? I was hoping to somehow turn it into a 3x1 or 1x7 or something. There are no mounts on the bike so it would probably be quite difficult.

It is my sons bike. He loves it and does well riding single tracks with it but I think he wishes he had a couple gears. Worst case scenario - he ends up with tree trunks for legs.

The bike is a Haro Steel Reserve 1.2. Specs are linked http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/bikes/freestyle-mtb/steel-reserve-1-2-2015

Thanks everyone.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Doubtful. If it had sliding dropouts, there a a couple of adapters avaliable to add a hanger, but short of breaking out the welder, I think your have to change his name to Thunder Thighs.

moorey

call me Mia
Just thinking...my old rmx had a derailleur that screwed onto the 10mm axle...trying to remember what stopped it from rotating....still got the saint derailleur, if you wanted to try to do something with a threaded axle. Yours for cost of post...but its rapid rise.

moorey

call me Mia
You'll need a 10mm bolt up hub, unless your hub is thru axle, and can take 5-6 gears like my ss hub did.