Adelaide

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Other options if you want to avoid the commute up and down the hill is suburbs at the bottom of the hill. Lynton, Clapham, Pasadena, Panorama, St Mary’s. If you like historic over priced houses and the council telling you what you can and can’t do with your home there is Colonel Light Gardens.

Live in Pasadena and used to work in Hindmarsh about 8 years ago. About 30 mins drive. 5 mins left or right from the front door I have Shepherds Hill or Lynton trails which connect up to all the other trails mentioned (Craigburn, Sturt Gorge, Belair NP) beach is 20 mins drive, shops all close by. Night life would be the big let down but have several pubs along Unley road and various cafes restraunts around as well on Goodwood Rd and King William Rd. Have young kids so I don’t get out much at night these days!

No toll roads, no yearly car inspections, CTP is part of the rego fee so easy to reg the car. Public transport to and from city is good other suburbs is hit n miss.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Might be considering a move back to SA depending on a few things. Currently daydreaming and trying to compare Canberra against Adelaide in terms of lifestyle:

Canberra = no traffic, lots of bush and trails, mediocre restaurants, no night life, not as many bogans, good MTB culture, good beer, average wine
Adelaide = bad traffic for its size, lots of trails nearby (not as much bush though), fantastic food, good beer, great wine, reasonable night life (sport, music, festivals), more meth heads, overrun with roadies

But given all else was equal, how do Adelaide's trails compare to living next to Stromlo, having Majura 25 mins away and Kowen 40 mins away? I think I mentioned earlier in this thread I was never into MTB when I lived in Adelaide so not sure if those options that are with 30 mins compare to what we've got in Canberra?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Check out Trailforks
Yeah, have done! :) I guess I'm asking about ride experiences rather than just number of trails - its mentioned in this thread there are plenty of great trails, but are we talking better than Canberra overall?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Depends what sort of trails you're seeking I suppose
Majura has my favourite types of trails - flowy bits mixed in with rock gardens and root sections twisting through pine forest. Also out the back of Stromlo, lots of rocky sections between fast flowy sections. Not that into high speed groomed stuff with big doubles and table tops.

Anyway, checking out some videos now to try and get a feel for it while I mull over this job offer....

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
the biggest boon for riding in Adelaide and Canberra compared to the likes of Sydney is the humidity, I lived in Canberra for 38 years and riding in the dry heat is still doable, riding in hot humid conditions sucks dick!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
the biggest boon for riding in Adelaide and Canberra compared to the likes of Sydney is the humidity, I lived in Canberra for 38 years and riding in the dry heat is still doable, riding in hot humid conditions sucks dick!
Adelaide is not humid at all, can 100% count the humid days every year on one hand, its just hot and dry during summer... unless a cool change is coming in, then the humidity threatens.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Adelaide is not humid at all, can 100% count the humid days every year on one hand, its just hot and dry during summer... unless a cool change is coming in, then the humidity threatens.
Yep, give me dry heat like Adelaide or Canberra any day..I now live in Newcastle, don't need to go for a swim, the water will come to you:mad: