Adjustable Seat Posts

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
and all that guff about losing your flow by having tosit on it to make it go down....try getting off the bike, undoing the seatclamp, putting the seat down to the right level, doing up the quick release and setting off again.;)
My original hesitation over the issue of needing to sit when I should be ready to attack never involved stopping and lowering the seat.
Normally I would just get off the back of the seat and bomb away. Sure, having the seat out the way is the better option, but never had too many dramas getting off the back.

Seriously, does anyone really need to stop and lower their seat??

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No one needs to stop and lower their seat, until they realise that they should have stopped to lower their seat on a steep section of trail....:eek: , and by that time, they cant stop !!!

petertronica

Likes Dirt
+1 for the kindshock i950r.

18 months old, still going strong.

Buddy of mine has the specialized command post, not been mentioned yet but I think it's a really nice piece of kit, and would probably go for that next time cos of the 3 position ability.

mumbleman

Likes Dirt
I got the gravity dropper turbo as well with remote.
Whatever you get they are great.
Makes my bike a whole different bike going down hill. (for the better)
I decided on the gravity dropper, due to it being all mechanical so I can fix it myself.
However if you decide to change cable (standatd gear cable) dont overtighten the grub screws you will split the lever and need a new one. But it wasn't expensive, and only took about a week to come from US.
Go for it

Capt.Gumby

Likes Dirt
I have the X Fusion Hilo and has worked a treat so far. A mate has recently purchase the Kind Shock and also looks like a great bit of kit and has worked flawlessly.

I must say, as most others have, that an adjustable post is almost an essential purchase as it really does transform your ride for the better.

aanon

Likes Dirt
Well, it seems anyone who has one of these posts likes them heaps, and until you have used one you really cant imagine how they transform your bike.
But what about reliability/maintanance issues?
My Gravity dropper turbo started to grind and not return and generally feel pretty crap, probably due to a fair bit of mud riding and creek crossings.
I decided to strip it down completely, clean it and regrease it. Now it feels better than new, it is super simple internally and a breeze to work on.
I reckon this is worth consideration when buying one, ease of maintanance and simplicity.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Well, it seems anyone who has one of these posts likes them heaps, and until you have used one you really cant imagine how they transform your bike.
We just had a club weekend away at buller and the main topic of discussion for two days was how freaking great adjustable seatposts were.......

diskoe75

Likes Bikes
ks 900...

+1 for the KS 900...........I've had mine for over 6 months now and works just as well as the day I first put it on my Reign, zero play........simply sweet!
Awsome piece of kit which makes riding the single track even more enjoyable! ;)

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was going to buy a Specialized Command Post because I like the idea of the multiple positions from a 1" drop to full drop. The Gravity Dropper Turbo seems to do the same thing but has a fixed cable, whereas the SPC has a top mounted cable that moves when the post is dropped.

Does the cable routing on the Gravity Dropper cause any problems? And, does the compressed cable when the post is dropped on most other models get in the way at all?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haven't tried specifically, but pretty sure my Joplin 4 will stop anywhere in it's travel on the way down.
Don't notice the cable at any time.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well whaddya know, i thought those adjustable seat posts were a bit of a crock before i read this ;)
Just like people hate 29ers, even though they have never ridden one* !!!!!

Its something you never thought you would use/need, until you actually use one, in the right situation.

(Just using 29ers as a example.)

*I have not ridden one, but I dont write them off.......

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently bought a KS i900 for my 29er, absolutely love it. The lever being part of the lock on grip is great but the performance is fantastic. All the others I have used have had significant play in them and didn't function as well.

I'll be getting another one in a smaller size for my other bikes, the versatility more than makes up for the weight penalty.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Just like people hate 29ers, even though they have never ridden one* !!!!!

yep that was me until last weekend when i rode one to try out a new section of trail and you know i quite liked it........wouldnt buy one tho but they certainly do roll with a sense of purpose

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, RRP on the Specialized Command Post is $500, while the US listed price is $225. It looks like I might go for the Gravity Dropper.

hungrytiger

Likes Dirt
Just got a reverb packaged with my new bike and the bike shop fitted it for me prior to collection. However, I noticed this evening that alot of people are saying that they got a bleed kit with the post, which I dont seem to have. Is this a US only thing, or have other people here got the bleed kit with it too? I'll give the shop a call on monday, but just thought I'd check here first.