Adjustable Seat Posts

betelnut

Likes Dirt
Just got a reverb packaged with my new bike and the bike shop fitted it for me prior to collection. However, I noticed this evening that alot of people are saying that they got a bleed kit with the post, which I dont seem to have. Is this a US only thing, or have other people here got the bleed kit with it too? I'll give the shop a call on monday, but just thought I'd check here first.
If you buy the Reverb aftermarket (ie- as a stand alone product) then you get the bleed kit and oil with it. I imorted mine and got the post and bleed kit.

Not sure what you get if the post comes with a bike, but I would have thought they also gave you the bleed kit..

hypo

Likes Dirt
any one tried one of these yet ? I like how the cable stays in a fixed position when the post is either up or down so there is no loose cable to get hooked up in the rear suspension

http://www.blacx.eu/

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I got the specialized command post and it is the best thing i have had on a bike period, was going to on-sell the post when i bought my bike, but after riding it for a couple of days i could not beleive how good it was, i have had the thing for nearly 10 months and love it to death, i estimate i would use it at least 40 times on a ride, it comes naturally to use it now, you get used to using your weight to drop the post that it happens instinctively, haven't had to service it, it hasn't played up, but i did modify the lever and cable, by putting on an xtr cable, and xtr v-brake 45 degree elbow, much better than the original!..I think these things have revolutionised all mountain riding!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got the specialized command post and it is the best thing i have had on a bike period, was going to on-sell the post when i bought my bike, but after riding it for a couple of days i could not beleive how good it was, i have had the thing for nearly 10 months and love it to death, i estimate i would use it at least 40 times on a ride, it comes naturally to use it now, you get used to using your weight to drop the post that it happens instinctively, haven't had to service it, it hasn't played up, but i did modify the lever and cable, by putting on an xtr cable, and xtr v-brake 45 degree elbow, much better than the original!..I think these things have revolutionised all mountain riding!
Your recommendation is one of the reasons I'm after a Command Post. If they bought the new Blacklite version into Australia that would be even better. For a decent price, even better again.:)

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Your recommendation is one of the reasons I'm after a Command Post. If they bought the new Blacklite version into Australia that would be even better. For a decent price, even better again.:)
BLACX Welcome to Barspin Imports our new distributor for AUSTRALIA!

BM Epic

Eats Squid
The Blacx fixed middle position has too much drop for me. I like the 25-40mm drop as the middle position from what I've tried moving my regular seat post around.
Yeah the 3 positions on the command post make heaps of sense, top for pedalling, next down for technical riding, then the big drop for pure downhill!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Okay I'm going to give the RS Reverb and the Specialized Command Post Blacklite a go. One for the Firebird and one for the Mach 5.

Smythie

Likes Bikes
I'm still getting used to my Joplin. I'm far from raving about it though. Not because of quality, it seems great but I can never get the drop in a correct position for tech single track. Full extend for climbing is great and push it all the way down for really steep stuff (which there is none of in Brisbane) is useful but random positions in between doesn't work for me. Before I had the post I was very used to riding and leaning on my seat through corners and using the seat to weight and balance the bike. Now every time the position feels a bit different and I rekon i'm slower on the fun stuff now. The only advantage so far is having the post up at a better height for climbing (boring).
The specialized post sounds perfect with the 1" drop from the top. I'd be trying one of them if I could.

P.

Last edited:

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I have a X fusion Hilo, which I fitted with the bar remote. So far so good - stable little slop, goes up and down in the mud. I like it. It is a good feature to have. I did have to check the pressure in the post which was not hard. I will say be careful how much cable slack you have. If, like me, you don't want to unfasten the cable to remove the seatpost from the frame, you need to have enough cable stretch to pull the post out. Also, cable rub. The cable will go up and down so use appropriate protection. Something to be aware of.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If anyone wants to get rid of a post, let me know! I'm after something in 31.6 with 4" worth of bounce. RRP has scared me away from everything one the net.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a lever Joplin3 locally. Not quite the amount of drop I would have liked, but still better than the Thomson. Brand new, and it already has slop - yuck. Pulled it apart, pulled out the brass key, looked at it, put it back in and tightened it, no improvement (not surprisingly). Put it back together with the intention to ride, but it was too dark. Will give it a thorough thrashing tomorrow. It's a beautifully machined bit of kit.... just poorly designed. If only I had a CNC machine and some bar stock....

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Found a lever Joplin3 locally. Not quite the amount of drop I would have liked, but still better than the Thomson. Brand new, and it already has slop - yuck.
I bought a Joplin 4 recently. In regards to the amount of drop, I never use it all, as most tracks you will still want to pedal between technical bits and when it's all the way down it feels like a BMX.
I only use about half the travel. Feels ok to still pedal while the seat is nicely out of the way.

My Joplin has some lateral movement, but it isn't noticeable at all while riding.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Joplin has some lateral movement, but it isn't noticeable at all while riding.
Yeah I've found the same from my limited runs around Coot-tha today. But really, there's no denying that the Joplin3 at least is an inredibly poorly designed product. Slop straight out of the box, play straight out of the box, so much flex that the staunchion opens up the dust seal and lets crap into the internals.... it's unbelievable. I'm glad I payed nowhere near RRP for this thing - it works like it's supposed to, but for $400 from a brick and mortar store, I can't help but feel that a lot of riders will have been awfully disappointed.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I picked up my Joplin 4 for $100 from a mate who rode with it once and didn't like the concept.

I'm certainly not complaining. ;)