Adjustable Seat Posts

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Can do most sat/sun morning are good just let me know.
I will probably be out on saturday morning with shovel and shears, i'm heading out about 9am, will probably see you down there mate, also thinking of just plain riding on sunday morning, i just need to do some tidying up on saturday morning!

cressa

Likes Dirt

BM Epic

Eats Squid
embarrassing question.
Would I be NOT suitable for any of the seatposts in this thread if i weigh 95 kg ?
Not embarrasing at all, no sensible question should be embarrasing, i dont think 95 kg is that bad, i'm hauling 88kg's with no dramas at all,so i think you should be ok!

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you fat bastard. Actually that makes 2 of us and my joplin 4 carries that weight fine. Not everyone around here is 60kg dripping wet...

Last edited:

Nikolai

Likes Bikes
I just bought one of those cheapo Route7 ones from Torpedo. I figured as a way to test the concept out I'd rather spend fewer $$$ initially then upgrade if necessary, though I realize I may get less use out of it before it bites the dust. That said, I've hear enough stories of Joplins going sloppy after 6 months, I reckon if I can get that far I'll be laughing. I've only tested it up and down the street, but this weekend I'll give it a proper try. Until then, my first impressions are:
1) It seems well-made. The seat clamp is a single bolt thing that is easy yet sturdy. The main body feels like any other seat post, and there doesn't seem to be any play at this stage in the mech.
2) It's a bit stiff going down, taking a bit of effort to first get it moving. I reckon that will become easier over time.
3) It comes up easily enough, without any need to pull on it.
4) There's no play in it yet, though again, this will probably become a factor over time.
5) It's a bit of a pig, but then they all are.
I'll post a follow-up once I've actually used the damn thing.

Damienp

Likes Dirt
After a rocky start i am really starting to love my Reverb. It's just so freakin handy to be able to drop the saddle at any point in the ride. It's been totally reliable at this point as well. That said i think it is 2012 stock so some of the bugs that have plagued earlier models have been worked out.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I have done this with an old inner tube to my Joplin 4 - not sure if it will help with longevity but it cant hurt in keeping the crap off.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I have done this with an old inner tube to my Joplin 4 - not sure if it will help with longevity but it cant hurt in keeping the crap off.
This works very well. People (including my Bro) in the UK have been doing this since adjustable seatposts came out as the conditions there are very muddy, especially during the winter.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I just bought one of those cheapo Route7 ones from Torpedo. [snip]...
my first impressions are:
1) It seems well-made. The seat clamp is a single bolt thing that is easy yet sturdy. The main body feels like any other seat post, and there doesn't seem to be any play at this stage in the mech.
2) It's a bit stiff going down, taking a bit of effort to first get it moving. I reckon that will become easier over time.
3) It comes up easily enough, without any need to pull on it.
4) There's no play in it yet, though again, this will probably become a factor over time.
5) It's a bit of a pig, but then they all are.
I'll post a follow-up once I've actually used the damn thing.
I've also had one of these for a couple of months now (got it for $119) and I agree with those points. Still no play what so ever and 3" is fine for me (173cm/5'8"). Its taken me a while to gets used to it (to remember to use it) but now I'm using it on most rides. Today at Stromlo I found it so useful on the steeper/rockier sections. It makes so much difference to be able to get low (attack position) on the fast technical sections - the bike feels so much better. I'd really like a remote lever but there is no way I'd pay the $300+ for the decent models, so it was either no dropper or this - very happy with it so far.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, I picked up a Joplin almost new, with a velcro cover on it. Recently it required stripping down (turned out to be only cable related) and it was absolutely spotless inside. No trace of any contamination of any kind.

niki125

Likes Dirt
Got a new bike the other day and I'm going to be fitting up an adjustable post almost straight away. I'm thinking of going for the KS 950 because of the 125mm travel and good rep. Just can't decide weather to go for the lever or bar remote... Probably leaning more toward the lever due to not liking bar clutter and extra cables. Opinions?

Just on a curiosity note. What's the advantage of the hydraulic remote on the reverb? I see a cable as being a much more reliable option, what's so good about having a full hydro line?