Advice: 2011 Giant Anthem x2, Giant Trance x2 or Scott Spark 50.

bluesmurf

Likes Bikes
Is it brand new or second hand? Private sale or shop? I wouldn't be too concerned about the difference in the frame, realistically the changes would be basically cosmetic.

Can you post a link to the bike? Me, I would go the 2010 if it was new.

dk13

Likes Bikes
Hey smurf,

It's from a shop, they say it's in new conditions but was used as a demo for 6 months... The biggest difference is the 2010 group set is a 9 speed an in 2010 they have the new 10 speed, not that realli makes much difference, just gives you smoother transitions... But I've been riding my 9 speed for ages and never missed not having 10...

Cheers

Hey mate

I ride a Trance X sl 1 2010. So im obviously biased, but before buying i obviously went through the whole test ride thing. All i can say is:

1. Test ride each bike for at least a 2 hour ride. Dont buy anything based off riding around the bike shop car park. At the end of the day, you will be sure which bike you like.

2. Trance v Anthem climbing ability: Very very similar. I ride with mates who ride Anthems, they dont have any advantage in my view. I beat them, they beat me. Its extremely hard to separate the climbing ability of each bike on that front. Once we hit anything pointing downhill, its the Trance that wins out. Every time. Almost! haha

3. As for pedal bob, you wont be fussed at all. It is not a problem. Have the "soft" setting, and have your hard "pro pedal" setting. Done. You will find that the pro pedal is great for most riding, then on nice downhills you soften it up..

4. Dont worry about 500g weight. Its not even worth mentioning for a weekend rider.

5. 2010 v 2011 model: XT groupset is perfect, in my view. 2010 will have tubeless also, 2011 does not. 2011 has 125mm travel over the 120mm on the 2010. The 2010 is 9 speed, 2011 is 10 speed. 2010 has better brakes.

6. You asked for opinions and mine is that the 2010 X1 is the best buy in your case. Go ride it!!!

dk13

Likes Bikes
Hey mate

I ride a Trance X sl 1 2010. So im obviously biased, but before buying i obviously went through the whole test ride thing. All i can say is:

1. Test ride each bike for at least a 2 hour ride. Dont buy anything based off riding around the bike shop car park. At the end of the day, you will be sure which bike you like.

2. Trance v Anthem climbing ability: Very very similar. I ride with mates who ride Anthems, they dont have any advantage in my view. I beat them, they beat me. Its extremely hard to separate the climbing ability of each bike on that front. Once we hit anything pointing downhill, its the Trance that wins out. Every time. Almost! haha

3. As for pedal bob, you wont be fussed at all. It is not a problem. Have the "soft" setting, and have your hard "pro pedal" setting. Done. You will find that the pro pedal is great for most riding, then on nice downhills you soften it up..

4. Dont worry about 500g weight. Its not even worth mentioning for a weekend rider.

5. 2010 v 2011 model: XT groupset is perfect, in my view. 2010 will have tubeless also, 2011 does not. 2011 has 125mm travel over the 120mm on the 2010. The 2010 is 9 speed, 2011 is 10 speed. 2010 has better brakes.

6. You asked for opinions and mine is that the 2010 X1 is the best buy in your case. Go ride it!!!
Wow.... Awesome feedback... Thanks mate, now the question is will a shop let me take it to the track for 2 hs, just wish I had friends on the same level as me, and not riding $10k Santa curz bikes, so I could give it a good try on one of their bikes...heheheh... But definitely goingt to check that one out...

Cheers.... Dan

Yeah thats the question really. If its a bike shop worth dealing with though, you will surely get a test ride in return for dropping a couple of grand..one thing to watch also, make sure they set the fork and shock pressure for your body weight before heading out. Makes a world of difference when the suspension sag is setup just right. Happy hunting!

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I LOVE my 2011 Trance and agree with pretty much all above.

BTW 2011 Trance comes tubeless as standard. At least mine did anyway.

I actually tried to source a 2010 X1 as I preferred the frame shape & colour but I couldn't find one so grabbed a 2011.

If the deal on the 2010 is good then I'd say go for it. My missus had a 2010 Trance X2 and it's a belter.

dk13

Likes Bikes
True Datz, if the expect me to spend a couple of grand with them they better let me ride it :p and better set the bike to a good ride ...

I also like the frame design of the 2010... ;)

Cheers...

morganb4

Likes Bikes
Theres an awesome looking anthem x1 (2009/2010) on ebay at the moment, nearly bought it myself.
Also a 2010 Trance X1 on bikeexchange which looks really good. Both about 2kish

dk13

Likes Bikes
thanks morgan,

i saw the one on bikeexchange, but its a demo bike, my friend told me to be careful with demos, as they will be pretty beat up, as people will flog them like rental cars... plus guys on the shop will just toss them in the back of the van at the end of the day... if i'm getting a second hand my friend suggested to look for owner's bike not a shop demo as the guy that owns it will look after it better than the shop...

i'm just on my way to the bike shop to have a look at the new ones now... ;)

thanks for the tips... i saw the other trance x1 '10 on bikeexchange but the guys is in victoria... a bit too far from the goldie for me... if he was in sydney would be ok since i'm every other week down there for work...

cheers, anyway...
dan

_mike_

Cannon Fodder
same boat as you a few months back. Wanted a mntn bike for some fun when i aint on the road bike & to ride some of the single tracks over here in perth with a few mates.

Test road some of the giants. Anthem was way to 'racey' (little bit road bike style). Trance x2 was nice but the forks made an annoying 'topping out noise'. Felt just ok to me, but when i test rode the Reign 1 (2011) it screams 'fun'. Main difference you'll notice is the front wheel is further out in front / slacker head, & this makes an excellent wheelie machine :)

This bike nails the single tracks and when you hit a fast downhill section you'll be glad you have that added stability. IMHO you also brake quicker as opposed to 'endo-ing' with a steeper head. I wasnt too into jumps till i got this bike either. With regards to hill climbing your fitness and strength ie the motor means WAYYYY more than a difference of 1 degree in the head angle. IMHO this bike climbs v well. A good mate (we have similar fitness / offroad experience) rides a carbon specialized epic. He is no faster anywhere. My bikes just more stable / comfortable overall

Frame looks better in real life than it does in photos. The bike shop swapped out the heavy nevegals for some 2.1/2.0 UST maxxis + Spent $60 on a stans tubeless conversion kit. Brakes are amazing / SLX gear is quality stuff. Front fork / shock is pumped up a little more than recommended but i still chew through the travel on the rear shock (only gripe overall. that and the aluminium drink holder bolts) Love it overall

Mike

dk13

Likes Bikes
hey guys,

this saturday, i got "lucky" when i arrived at nerang for a ride "specialized" was having a demo day... Well i wouldn't say lucky, because now i don't even want to ride my old bike, i toke a few bikes for a demo on the track, i know specialized are almost double the price as the giants...

i tried the stump juper s-works, top of the line and the epic comp...

both had the brain on it, i was quite impressed with both of them, but believe it or not, i loved the epic more than the stump jumper... maybe because the stump was set to my friends weight and he is about 8kg lighter than me so i felt it was quite soft and big too... i don't know, the impression i had was that i was riding a lot bigger bike even tho we have both M sizes, the epic felt a lot tighter and quicker on turns...

after the ride, i was talking to a local shop owner that sells both giant and specialized, he mentioned that the stomp will have the same ride feel as the trance, and the anthem similar to the epic...

Unfortunately the guy on the shop mentioned that giants don't do demo days and he wouldn't have a bike to let me take it to the track... only around the shop carpark... that sucks because i'd love to be able to try both of the giants like i did with the specialized... because this weekend i definitely for the first time felt how different a bike can feel between models, and it would be pretty disappointing to spend $2+k on a bike to find out later that i like the other model better...

Again, it might be the settings on the suspension of the stump that weren't setup correctly for me, but can anyone that have ridden both do a comparison between the stump and the trance...

cheers,
dan

dk13

Likes Bikes
thanks mike for throwing another bike in my head.... all i needed heheheheh

just kiddin, the Reign never crossed my head as being a 6" suspension, feels it's more a downhill bike than the trance, and after riding the stump jumper from specialized it made me thing about it a bit more, as i mentioned before, i tested the epic and felt a lot more comfortable in it than the stump and the epic is a 4" bike, and the stump is 5"... so 6" on the reign will be a bit too much i think... but yes the frame does look nicer than the trance and the anthem... but unfortunately i can't take all of them to the trail to test them, not even one of them, being that i liked the epic i think i'm still going to stick with my gut feeling and keep looking at the trance or the anthem...

but thanks for your input... if i find the opportunity of riding the reign i'll definitely give it a go...

cheers,
dan

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
if you are now in this area of travel, why not look at the scott genius. The obvious advantage being the forks with adjustable travel activated from the bars - so you come to a hill, flick the lever and the front lowers 30mm.

I've always thought front lockouts are a complete waste of space and time - getting up on the pegs and pumping is something i do without any notice - ie its not terrain specific but the need for some speed suddenly. But i always see a big hill coming, and been able to change your geometry from reign like to anthem like in a second, just seems a common sense response to an obvious problem with the trail bikes.

dk13

Likes Bikes
Hey pharmaboy, yeah the genius looks good but its a bit over my price tag, almost double the price as the giants with similar spec... Unfortunately I can't afford it... But thanks anyway.

Dk

4dri4n

Squid
Mr dk13,
I am on the very similar path as you are, and is wanting to buy a semi decent dually for roughly $2kAUD,
I have done lots of research etc and no doubt about it that Giant is very much value for money, but there are a lot of them out there. Just depends if you want something different and that stands out or a bike that is just the same as all other riders aka Giant riders.

For the style of riding you want to do, go for the Giant Trance X2 which has the extra inch of travel, where the Anthem is also a awesome looking bike but is more for XC racing etc. Ive been looking into the Merida's which I really like also, but a bit more pricey obviously.

Thats my opinion, but if you want a Giant Trance X2 and your willing to come up to the North Side of Brisbane, I know a shop who will sell the Trance X2 VERY cheap compared to all the other giant sellers which are only coming down as low as $2200.
Strahpine Cycles originally do it on sale for $1950, but thats was before for some sale and now currently and sell it for $2050 maybe even $2000 if your have a chat and are super keen.

Hope this helps

Adrian

dk13

Likes Bikes
thanks adrian,

that is as awesome tip, i just came back from the giant shop here and they quoted me $2250 on a trance x2... but 2k might be worth the drive up there...

I don't really mind to have same bike as everyone else, as long as it rides well, and give me confidence to push myself further... than i guess having lots of them it's good means they are good value bikes...

thanks for the tip

dan

4dri4n

Squid
thanks adrian,

that is as awesome tip, i just came back from the giant shop here and they quoted me $2250 on a trance x2... but 2k might be worth the drive up there...

I don't really mind to have same bike as everyone else, as long as it rides well, and give me confidence to push myself further... than i guess having lots of them it's good means they are good value bikes...

thanks for the tip

dan
Yer no worries at all,
Bargain with them and ask them whats the lowest they ll take, go into the store though.
Give us a PM if u need a hand, and speak to Ben which is the guy that gives the decent price.

Yes main thing is whatever you feel best with. In the end the price I got for the trance x2 is way too good valve for money with the specs it has.

trail_monkey

Likes Bikes
I picked up my 2011 Trance X2 for $2200 a few months back. Great spec for the price and I have to say it's a confidence inspiring bike that will get you out of trouble when your skills come up short ;). I'm tackling terrain that I never would have before and the more I ride it the better it gets.

I've gone back to a Nevegal for trail riding on the front after trying an Ignitor and have replaced the rear Nevegal with a Larsen TT. At some point in the future I'll replace the wheelset with XT or Hope hubs and likely Stan's Crest Rims but it's fine out of the box.

+1 Trance X2

Last edited: