Advice: 4X

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
maybe by riding on a 4X track?

what do you mean, to get competitive and find how to enter races or do you want to learn the fundamentals of 4X???

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
I'm not an expert, but you need to work on 'pumping' and jumping and pedaling in the right spots.

get good at bunny hopping and getting your front wheel over things

try to become confident with jumping

get your fitness up and practice getting in the right gear and using the most of your legs

watch a few pumping videos, its much easier monkey see monkey do with this part.

edit: What the hell am I doing in the girls only section?

Last edited:

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Where bouts in brissy are you? There's a fair few bmx clubs that do the 4x thing too. There's a pretty big mtb turn out at pine rivers club on the north side. The bmx track is a great place to get good at starts, build up some power and generally just work on skills.

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Advice 4X

Sorry to post in the girls only sectin but the Advice 4X caught my eye, and after reading this is what NSWMTB is trying to do with its current series.

So, Dual Slalom is a good start, it has the start gate which you learn to handle fairly easy, no need to track stand at first the old DS rules said one foot on the ground at start which I still use. Two riders down a slope no burms just flat track around poles or cones.

You can start in DS and then start practicing 4X, first just roll the 4X track, just to get enough speed to get over the jumps but not to launch off them. You will have lower your seat as much as possible no sitting down in DS or 4X, the seat only gets in the way and if too high propels you over the bars. Move the body weight back behind the seat as much as possible on the up ramp of the jump back is always good, body weight forward of seat is bad.

First, off your bike and prefect the forward roll for when you fall, right handed and left handed, kneel down, and put your palm on the ground with fingers pointing to your knee. Move forward place elbow on ground, now shoulder, tuck head on to back, roll, judo style. Now when you fall you will hopefully not break the wrist or collar bone remember roll.

Once you can get around the track with out falling off, now the burms! Stop looking at the ground in front of the bike and start looking where you will exit the corner, eyes 1 to 2 seconds ahead, what is happening at your front wheel has already happened and you should start going around a burm faster and faster. Remember no jumping yet.

Next the favourite of the BMX the mono. Find a nice BMX rhythm section and start monoing. I have seen top riders try 3 to 4 different ways to take a section of the 4X track mono is a good method and almost as fast as jumping in most cases and does not hurt as much when you fall. If you can use the start gate, mono and ride the flat and burmed corners well you will be a very good rider, the next step is the one that injuries occur a lot, so think hard how bad you want this bit.

Jumping, start with bunny hop over a stick or rope, get used to moving the bike right and left in the air over the object, now a small ramp say 200 to 300 mm high and get used to landing on front wheel, back wheel and both wheels this time keep the bike straight. If you are really sure you want to jump the big ones, remember you will fall and it will hurt, collar bones break real easy, if you have access to a couple of old mattresses you can start jumping. First find a small jump fill the hole with mattresses and roll the jump. Once confident you can roll the jump you can start to jump the gap, once you have cleared the jump with the mattress start to move the mattresses out of the way slowly increasing the gap, keep the bike straight in the air if it is going wrong abandon ship do not stay with the bike they hurt you. I am well past my level of expertise here and will leave to the better jump coaches.

Last edited:

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Logan Village
Probably head out to the track at underwood and just have a roll around a bit and just get used to whats going on. Then start trying to build up speed and tackle the tracks features one by one. The first straight is a good place to start out there, cause not alot can go wrong if you stuff up.

If you want to do some gate starts out over that way, check out either browns plains or wynnum's bmx clubs, i'm not sure what nights they are on, but both clubs have mountain bikers at them.

darsh

Likes Dirt
Also consider Redlands bmx at Capalaba, gate starts and practice wednesday nights, racing Friday nights.
Fast ultra smooth track
Best of luck

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Underwood road, towards the daisy hill end. In i think roachdale south park or something like that. Apparently its pretty rutted out and that from all the rain that's been about.

ryanjeff

Squid
try bmx tracks they are the best place to start and rythem sections and the big tables and burms if you get all that mastered your on your way :D

Sarsha

Flash Point Promotions
Hi Mate,

I run the QLD 4X Series and have a ladies class in it. Not a large amount of ladies come and race but it is a great chance to come a long and just have fun. The girls are all there just for that and are all really really nice and encouraging.

There is a race this Sunday and then another in 2 weeks at the Underwood track. Let me know if you want anymore info but the posters are attached, you can find more info on it in the 4X Section below.

Would be great to see you there, and to be honest the only way to get better is to race and HAVE FUN while doing it. You never know you might win a prize!

Attachments