Advice for a flat pedal newb

RealizE

Likes Bikes
I'm in exactly the same position as OP. After busting up my wrist trying to bounce on the back wheel clipped in, I switched to flats for the first time in 15 years. For the first few days I could hardly get along the bike path as I was constantly stepping off the pedals. After a couple of days that settled down and they just feel normal to me now. I am just using some sloppy old skate shoes, but they are super grippy with my Straitline pedals, but far too soft.

As the others have said, expect lots of blood. These days, all I have to do is think about my bike and I've somehow got blood on my legs. My first flat-pedal bunny hop attempt required 8 steri-strips to hold my shin together, so look forward to that! This is probably one for the fuckwit's thread, but after slicing up my shin, I proceeded to point out the sharp pedal pins to my curious neighbour and promptly sliced open my index finger right where I grab the brakes. Great.

slowmick

38-39"
Any tips where they can be bought from?
Sorry - I bought mine from the local BMX shop about 15 years ago. Lizard skins seem to have gone out of favor since then. Your local BMX shop will have a range to choose from.
I bought mine after I punched a hole in my shin with a pedal. I tried on knee shin combo guards but the fresh scar was lower on my leg than the guard coverage. I have a pair of knee guards and a pair of shin guards. Try them on if you can. If they are too tight around the calf you won't want to wear them. You want then to come down behind the tongue of your shoe. Ideally they should wrap all the way around your leg. If you go for soccer style ones you will inevitably cop a pedal to the back of the calf.

if you're an XL these might work - https://www.luxbmx.com/colony-ultra-shin-pads

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maybe you need to put on 20kg, it seems to be keeping my feet on the pedals pretty well. I'm/was a restarting beginner after a 25 year break. Didn't trust my skills to use my old SPD's so I was riding in trainers, on some cheap plastic flats. I got around ok but when I switched to OneUp composite pedals and Giro Riddance shoes it was a world of difference - I found it hard to move my feet around without lifting them off the pedals, they were like magnets. I was a bit worried the pins would shred my shins and wound them in a bit, gradually it dawned on me that they would be more likely to slip so I wound them back out. Touch wood I've only had one minor pedal bite.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Maybe you need to put on 20kg, it seems to be keeping my feet on the pedals pretty well. I'm/was a restarting beginner after a 25 year break. Didn't trust my skills to use my old SPD's so I was riding in trainers, on some cheap plastic flats. I got around ok but when I switched to OneUp composite pedals and Giro Riddance shoes it was a world of difference - I found it hard to move my feet around without lifting them off the pedals, they were like magnets. I was a bit worried the pins would shred my shins and wound them in a bit, gradually it dawned on me that they would be more likely to slip so I wound them back out. Touch wood I've only had one minor pedal bite.
I'm a bit the same. Always switched between flats and clipless back when I was racing, depending on the course and conditions. Flats were always cheapies with no grip combined with joggers.

Now I've moved onto my first set of flats with pins (still cheapies via eBay) combined with cheap Volleys and I honestly feel like I'm glued to them.

Perhaps starting with a shitty combo is the secret?

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm a bit the same. Always switched between flats and clipless back when I was racing, depending on the course and conditions. Flats were always cheapies with no grip combined with joggers.

Now I've moved onto my first set of flats with pins (still cheapies via eBay) combined with cheap Volleys and I honestly feel like I'm glued to them.

Get something stiffer than volleys.
It’ll be a revelation.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Sorry - I bought mine from the local BMX shop about 15 years ago. Lizard skins seem to have gone out of favor since then. Your local BMX shop will have a range to choose from.
I bought mine after I punched a hole in my shin with a pedal. I tried on knee shin combo guards but the fresh scar was lower on my leg than the guard coverage. I have a pair of knee guards and a pair of shin guards. Try them on if you can. If they are too tight around the calf you won't want to wear them. You want then to come down behind the tongue of your shoe. Ideally they should wrap all the way around your leg. If you go for soccer style ones you will inevitably cop a pedal to the back of the calf.

if you're an XL these might work - https://www.luxbmx.com/colony-ultra-shin-pads
I got the biggest(??) size in 661 shin guards I could find, but the velcro is a bit of a stretch to get them secure. once on they stayed on.
CRC has them for about $44 at the mo.
Splashed out on some poc VPD 2.0 shin guards later on, super comfortable. I used to see a few people at Buller with the POC knee/shin combo. not sure if they make them any more though :(
The Lux pads in mick's link look like Der Sheisse :)

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Get something stiffer than volleys.
It’ll be a revelation.
I'm running the steel cap work shoe version which might be a bit stiffer than a standard volley.

But if there's anything stiffer you can recommend in the Volleys price range that suits my tight arse sensibilities, I'm open to suggestions!

Jpez

Down on the left!
I'm running the steel cap work shoe version which might be a bit stiffer than a standard volley.

But if there's anything stiffer you can recommend in the Volleys price range that suits my tight arse sensibilities, I'm open to suggestions!

Can’t help with choices in your budget range but a good pair of shoes is something I don’t skimp on.
I used to think basic 5Ten free riders were the shizzle. Until I broke a toe smashing it into Mother Earth.
I then bought some Freerider pros because they have a protected toe cap and a stiffer sole.
That’s when I realised just how flexi the original Freeriders were. A bit of flex is good. Allows you to cup the pedal on jumps and bunny hops etc but too much flex is bad and gives you less control, makes going over the rough stuff more tiring among other things. But if your Volleys are working for you all good.

I’ve since found my ultimate flat pedal shoe. NorthWave Clans. Tough strong shoe and oodles of grip

CRC often have previous year models of decent brands for really cheap.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Can’t help with choices in your budget range but a good pair of shoes is something I don’t skimp on.
I used to think basic 5Ten free riders were the shizzle. Until I broke a toe smashing it into Mother Earth.
I then bought some Freerider pros because they have a protected toe cap and a stiffer sole.
That’s when I realised just how flexi the original Freeriders were. A bit of flex is good. Allows you to cup the pedal on jumps and bunny hops etc but too much flex is bad and gives you less control, makes going over the rough stuff more tiring among other things. But if your Volleys are working for you all good.

I’ve since found my ultimate flat pedal shoe. NorthWave Clans. Tough strong shoe and oodles of grip

CRC often have previous year models of decent brands for really cheap.
Cheers. I'm all about the toe protection now but the steel caps weigh a slightly ridiculous amount so will keep an eye on CRC.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Stiffer isn't always better either. I personally prefer more flexibility in my souls. For me stiffer souls feel wooden on the pedal, leaving me with less sensitivity.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheap Volleys and I honestly feel like I'm glued to them.

I reckon you'll feel another big improvement with some MTB shoes, the soles of Volleys are pretty flexible. And you'll get the benefit of some toe protection which Volleys don't have

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
I’ve invested in the Lizard Skin shin guards. Don’t need/ want the bulk of integrated knee guards and there’s not much out there besides. Just gotta wait on international postage so they’re probably 2 to 20 weeks away.

have done a few more rides on the Leatt shoes and I’m changing my opinion of the grip they offer. There’s oodles of lateral grip but they’re easy to remove by pulling up, which I guess is the whole point of good flats.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Today was my third go on flats after years on SPD. Getting the feel again, was fun, they make you use the launch on jumps more, did some really floaty ones with smooth landings.

Out of all the pins on my pedals the back two on one side of the right pedal had shortening washers which I removed. I slipped a cm or two once on the whole ride today.

In the past I did all my flat pedal riding in Vans and they work for me but I'd like to try some of the stiffer shoes that grip like the Vans.