Advice for a flat pedal newb

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I just ride in vans too, I'll have to keep an eye out for any of those Moorey bargains, keen to see the difference.

moorey

call me Mia
I’m sure there’s decent vans designed for riding flats. I haven’t used any. Soles were thin, and the tread was hard and slippery.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Even in good shoes there can be a big difference in grip. My ye Olde fiveten karvers are without equal, spectacular grip regardless of conditions or pedals. I bought some northwave tribe shoes late last year which are great as long as it's dry but grip drops substantially in the wet.

The karvers are well past due for the bin but in the absence of anything better I'll keep repairing them. They're more silicone than shoe now

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I reckon you'll feel another big improvement with some MTB shoes, the soles of Volleys are pretty flexible. And you'll get the benefit of some toe protection which Volleys don't have
Au contraire, these are good for toe protection. Just weigh a ton being steel rather than plastic/composite protection.

They're way stiffer than all my skate shoes but more flexi than my spd shoes.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Thanks @moorey for the recommend, they look like good value and I'd seen them on mtbd but was unsure. Those Vans are my current skate shoes so got an excuse to get some good ones for biking. Are they narrow at all? I have very wide feet.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks @moorey for the recommend, they look like good value and I'd seen them on mtbd but was unsure. Those Vans are my current skate shoes so got an excuse to get some good ones for biking. Are they narrow at all? I have very wide feet.
Mine aren’t. Just remember the 1/2 sizes give mote width, not length. These fit true to size, unlike unpredictable Five10’s

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Fark. Just looked at my bike for no particular reason. Each face of the pedal has 7 instead of 9 pins. 8 pins missing, the outside ones. I must be one of the ones who rode such shit flats when younger that my Saints feel ok missing all those pins!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Fark. Just looked at my bike for no particular reason. Each face of the pedal has 7 instead of 9 pins. 8 pins missing, the outside ones. I must be one of the ones who rode such shit flats when younger that my Saints feel ok missing all those pins!
Nothing wrong with being hardcore and not blaming the pedals.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Are these a generous or tight fit? There's not much of anything in my size under $180.
I'd call them a regular fit. Not overly wide in the toe box, but enough wiggle room for my feet. I went with 10.5 which is .5 more than I thought I'd need, so perhaps they're a bit short in length.

sbm

Likes Bikes
I’m sure there’s decent vans designed for riding flats. I haven’t used any. Soles were thin, and the tread was hard and slippery.
They did recently come out with a new bike specific sole for their BMX pros. It's pretty hard to find though and probably still super soft by MTB shoe standards. They have "Pro BMX" in the model name.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Au contraire, these are good for toe protection. Just weigh a ton being steel rather than plastic/composite protection.

They're way stiffer than all my skate shoes but more flexi than my spd shoes.
OK I didn't know there was such a thing as steel cap Volleys !

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I wear them. Easily the most uncomfortable things to break in. Was ready to just chop my feet off. Our safety guy is not a fan but he's a fucking dweeb.