Advice for a flat pedal newb

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Just don't get Fooker pedals (or any of the knock off brands)

My mate is getting the OneUps and some of the 80 buck Afton shoes which will be about a 150 package to give the flat thing a go :) I wasn't prepared to pay $108 for the camo Aftons (only ones in 12) and risk them being half a size small.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
@Scotty T One Ups are a decent choice - I use them on both bikes now.

I haven't bought Five Tens since the Adidas takeover, so not sure of quality these days. My 2014 Freeriders are still structurally fine, just the inner sole has worn down so they aren't as comfy. I've got some Freerider Contacts from 2017 which are my main shoe still - even if the laces did rip through the eyelets at the top... If I know they are going to last 3+ years, I don't mind paying $200 for a pair.

moorey

call me Mia
@Scotty T One Ups are a decent choice - I use them on both bikes now.

I haven't bought Five Tens since the Adidas takeover, so not sure of quality these days. My 2014 Freeriders are still structurally fine, just the inner sole has worn down so they aren't as comfy. I've got some Freerider Contacts from 2017 which are my main shoe still - even if the laces did rip through the eyelets at the top... If I know they are going to last 3+ years, I don't mind paying $200 for a pair.
I think Adidas has improved them, tbh. More comfortable, and seeingly more robust, but early days.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Saint are most overrated pedals ever. New model was 100% better than previous ones......but a block of firm tofu would have been.
Nothing wrong with being hardcore and not blaming the pedals.
I'm sticking with the poodle :) They came with my bike and my budget is tight. I have some Wellgos which don't have as good clearance, and some old Easterns which are a really nice concave pedal, still not as good clearance as the Saints. The other issue with those is that I can't get them off the old bike, it has those shitty Truvativ canks with the inserts that stick to the pedal and come out of the crank and I haven't been able to remove the sleeve. I also had some bearing shennanigans with one of them a long time ago and not 100% sure all the balls made it, you'd think I'd learn before blowing my SPD''s apart but no.

Local bolt store for the win. Don't be a Patsy to big bike

Big bike made them special. Big (cheap) bolt won't have these.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You've removed the washers? Makes them ALMOST long enough to grip satisfactorily.
Yeah only two pins had remaining washers which are gone. I think with all pins fitted and no washers they'll better the other pedals I have for performance because of the clearance and bearings. These are the Easterns I have. They'll go with the bike when it goes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Big bike made them special. Big (cheap) bolt won't have these.
You mean these? I doubt there is anything special about those Shimano bolts. Sure I chose not to get the washers, but who wants those anyway? This not very expensive box should last me a life time.

IMG_20200512_122906102~2.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
I rarely slip a foot with 3mm of pin protruding and all my five/tens wear the tread out before the rest of the shoe dies, but I suppose that will be dependent on how much you ride as they seem to deteriorate fast as the shoe gets on with age. I've never paid over $160 for them either as I wait for them to go sale.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
You mean these? I doubt there is anything special about those Shimano bolts. Sure I chose not to get the washers, but who wants those anyway? This not very expensive box should last me a life time.
Nope. I'd need to drill the pedals to fit the larger pins. I got two packs on Catch posted for one dollar more than a single pack from Pushys. Next set of pedals I will make sure they have inexpensive box of bolt style pins. I figure two packs of the Saints will go at least until I'm 50 at which point I expect to be less hardcore and start blaming the pedals.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nope. I'd need to drill the pedals to fit the larger pins. I got two packs on Catch posted for one dollar more than a single pack from Pushys. Next set of pedals I will make sure they have inexpensive box of bolt style pins. I figure two packs of the Saints will go at least until I'm 50 at which point I expect to be less hardcore and start blaming the pedals.
Fair enough. Those nylon pedals that many of us use are only about $35-50...why wait?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I watched the video about the Race Face pedals. The previously mentioned good ones are around $80.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. These were all the rage on here a while ago. I'm running 2 pairs and am happy with them.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...on-evo-electron-evo-flat-pedals/rp-prod122950

These probably come from the same factory.

And these look nasty good.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The Race Face are good, and $80, the knock offs in the video (aka $25-$50 pedals) were not so good. Those $52.99 ones have $30 freight. There are no spares for any of those pedals locally (*excluding box-o-bolts, maybe a third party bearing if they are sealed), only CR/overseas stores sell those brands, not a big deal but the RF ones are fully serviceable, I'd hope the local dealer holds spares but given my current wait for an air conditioner part I have doubts.

I avoid CR unless it's something I can't find elsewhere like last years model for less than half prcice, I'm really against shipping small items thousands of air miles if I can buy them locally.

I bought a Joes tubeless kit off eBay on Monday morning from an Albury bike shop who sells on there, cheaper than Wiggle with post, it arrived yesterday afternoon.

How matchy would the green RF pedals look on the SC tho, hot damn!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've not tried the RF pedals in question. But I have been running the FireEye and Nuke Proof polynyloncarbonate for a long time. The only issue I've come across is that the end caps can come loose, as discussed earlier. I've followed suit and Araldited them in. No problems yet...in all 5 days! I've never needed parts other than the pins and I've never throw a pair out. I know a kid, must weight about 30kg, that cracked one on the local trails.

The Nuke Proof are very popular on here. I'd start a new thread just to prove my point, but we wouldn't want to crowd up the forum!

Buy enough stuff, get free delivery. Postage issue solved.