Advice for Bottlerocket build

xero

Supersports
I was under the impression those poly bushes were the latest and greatest in bushing tech?
They are... but my concern was more about fitment taking into account existing frame hardware, hence i was thinking standard DU option.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Well, next challenge is the bottom bracket threads... they need to be refreshed or cut as the used bottom bracket I tried to install today just doesn't want to work even with the threads cleaned as best I can. I am way too nervous about messing up the threads and thinking there might be a bit of powdercoat in them that needs to be cut out(?) Probably a good idea to buy a fresh BB after I do that. Guess it's either back to the LBS or shop for more tools lol

Attachments

phillynight

Likes Dirt
You sure you’re screwing in the right direction?
Yep positive... and on the BB it shows the side + direction so I'm 1000% sure. It starts to thread in a bit and then just stops being able to turn by hand and I am not sure I should "force" it with a longer wrench, etc..

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep positive... and on the BB it shows the side + direction so I'm 1000% sure. It starts to thread in a bit and then just stops being able to turn by hand and I am not sure I should "force" it with a longer wrench, etc..
There is often some distortion of the BB shell from welding, and the tightness doesn't always completely disappear with running the BB taps through. If you can turn it easily with a spanner then go head. If it starts to take some force then I'd be getting the threads chased. The tool is a bit exxy to buy for home use.
Edit - should get the powder coat faced off the edges of the BB shell while it's in the shop. Not all shops will have the tools to do both

phillynight

Likes Dirt
There is often some distortion of the BB shell from welding, and the tightness doesn't always completely disappear with running the BB taps through. If you can turn it easily with a spanner then go head. If it starts to take some force then I'd be getting the threads chased. The tool is a bit exxy to buy for home use.
Edit - should get the powder coat faced off the edges of the BB shell while it's in the shop. Not all shops will have the tools to do both
So I tried again yesterday and it threaded in okay at the start. I screwed it in a bit, then out, then back in, etc... to make sure it wasn't going to get stuck. It got to a point about 1/2 way and it got tougher so I then started using the tool - it got a bit tougher but then all of the sudden no movement. I got a bit freaked out and tried to back out the BB but it was way hard all of the sudden so I used a hairdryer to warm up the alum and finally backed it all the way out. It ended up eating 2-3 threads off the BB (not the shell of the frame at least). I think I def need the threads re-cut or chased or whatever it may be called. When it 'ate' the threads off the BB the material seems to have like 'stuck' into the BB shell threads. The threads are all there in the shell and there's no stripping of them, but now there is a little bit of extra material stuck to them. I'll add some pics so you can see what I mean. So I'll def pickup a new BB obv as this one is toast now.

I think I need to find a really good bike workshop in Melb to chase/cut/face etc.. anyone know a really good shop? Would a normal bike shop like Summit Cycles be able to do this work or do I need to find like a frame-builder type shop?

Attachments

Last edited:

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Summit should be able to help, otherwise Astroboy should be able to sort you pretty quickly.
Cool I will check in with them and hopefully they can get me sorted with nice, clean threads. It's a pretty horrible feeling when you're turning a wrench on a part as delicate as the bb and all of the sudden it just stops and jams :/

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Yeah nah ! cross threaded or badly in need of chasin and facin
It doesn't look or feel like it's cross-threaded so I am hoping a chasin n facin as you said. Hard to get a good photo of it, but it looks like just junk material in between a few threads. Hoping a cutting tool will just clear that junk out, straighten up and clean the threads.

Attachments