Advice for Bottlerocket build

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
He would like to run a 30.9 dropper in a 30.0 seatpost.
So the seatpost needs to be embiggened slightly.
why not get a 27.2 and drop a shim in...you can get a 27.2 to 30.0 shim, as I used to have one for my tranny
Oh, and Phil....you do build up a nice bike, too nice to ride!

RichJS

Likes Dirt
why not get a 27.2 and drop a shim in
Cause choice and availability for 27.2 is rather limited. Particularly if you want 6" or more drop like all the kids do these days. I think later BR frames came with 30.9 ID on the seat tube anyway. Plenty of material left on the seat tube after reaming to 30.9.

Been meaning to sell my BR for a year or more now. I bought off another rotorburner a few years back, but it's barely been ridden since getting an enduro bike. The BR frame is white with black linkage .. could have saved OP a paintjob!

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Cause choice and availability for 27.2 is rather limited. Particularly if you want 6" or more drop like all the kids do these days. I think later BR frames came with 30.9 ID on the seat tube anyway. Plenty of material left on the seat tube after reaming to 30.9.

Been meaning to sell my BR for a year or more now. I bought off another rotorburner a few years back, but it's barely been ridden since getting an enduro bike. The BR frame is white with black linkage .. could have saved OP a paintjob!
Wow yeah that would have saved me a few hundo and a LOT of time hahah

Was hoping to get a ride in this weekend before reaming but we're fkn locked down again :/ It's back on the list I just need cutting fluid but now I think Bunnings is closed too ughhh this lockdown stuff sucks

RichJS

Likes Dirt
I'm listening...what drop outs and which head tube?
On mine? 135mm dropouts, dunno the ID of the headtube but looks straight - like it'd take 1.5" straight steerer cause the upper headset is rather wide around the tapered fork. Previous seller said it's a 2009, medium. Can't find reliable pics of a 2009 but looks the same as 2008 - the mounts for the shock are solid triangles rather than hollow (hollow meaning 2010+?)

Was hoping to get a ride in this weekend before reaming but we're fkn locked down again :/
That's crappy timing, especially given how nice yours is built up now. I broke my collarbone the day after buying my BR (riding a different bike), spent the next week or two sitting around buying lots of small upgrades for it and dreaming up a wild powdercoat colour scheme which didn't eventuate.

Made it my Tuggeranong Pines bike (before it started to get built up like it is now..) and also had a few handful of rides at Thredbo - but also watched some bogan in a flanno on his bottlerocket sending it there about 5x as hard as me .. I should have been inspired but (shamefully) just made me more motivated to get a new Enduro bike a year or two later. Mostly the parts found their way onto my other bikes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
On mine? 135mm dropouts, dunno the ID of the headtube but looks straight - like it'd take 1.5" straight steerer cause the upper headset is rather wide around the tapered fork. Previous seller said it's a 2009, medium. Can't find reliable pics of a 2009 but looks the same as 2008 - the mounts for the shock are solid triangles rather than hollow (hollow meaning 2010+?)

That's crappy timing, especially given how nice yours is built up now. I broke my collarbone the day after buying my BR (riding a different bike), spent the next week or two sitting around buying lots of small upgrades for it and dreaming up a wild powdercoat colour scheme which didn't eventuate.

Made it my Tuggeranong Pines bike (before it started to get built up like it is now..) and also had a few handful of rides at Thredbo - but also watched some bogan in a flanno on his bottlerocket sending it there about 5x as hard as me .. I should have been inspired but (shamefully) just made me more motivated to get a new Enduro bike a year or two later. Mostly the parts found their way onto my other bikes.
When the time comes pm me a price and I'll have a think. Ideally I want thru axle rear end, but I have long wanted one of these or a double.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just weighed it: 15.6kg ...will gain a little weight with the dropper but still not terrible. Will upgrade the NX stuff at some point so that'll knock a bit of weight off.
Was that with or without the pedals?

I had nx 7speed on my polygon and didn't experience any of the issues others have raised. I found it to be really good.

Last edited:

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Was that with or without the pedals?

I had nx 7speed on my polygon and didn't experience any of the issues others have raised. I found it to be really good.
With DMR pedals and full 3M wrap. Yeah I kind of agree, so far so good with the NX for a few rides, feels decent - just will probably upgrade later, because, you know, bikes are fun to buy shit for hahaha

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Well done!

Bike looks sick.

When are you getting a chain guide?
Thanks mate! I actually have a Kamizaze 6-pack chainguide that I got from Moorey but I had second thoughts about it when I installed bc there is no cog on it - the chain sits right on the plastic guide and it seemed super noisy. I'll probably re-visit the chainguide (when I change the chain as it's too short now) and maybe see if I can frankenstein the cog off another guide to fit so that it's not crazy loud.