Advice for Bottlerocket build

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure that model Marz is 20mm axle, pretty sure bolt through that's why I asked. Unless you really want to use that frame it will be cheaper buying a complete bike in the long run.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ the pic he posted looks like the V1, 49mm. The v2 has a bit of a visual tweak according to google images.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Insertion on that headset ain’t working.
the headtube looks like the same as on my Vagrant..1.5 straight
the collars top and bottom are only external for extra strength to stop the ally from stretching, straight through machining
you could run an EX for tapered or ZS for 1 1/8

moorey

call me Mia
the headtube looks like the same as on my Vagrant..1.5 straight
the collars top and bottom are only external for extra strength to stop the ally from stretching, straight through machining
you could run an EX for tapered or ZS for 1 1/8
View attachment 368824
Good to hear. Didn’t want to lead OP astray. Mine ran a 1.5” fork in 1.5 49mm headtube. Never touched it in the 3 years I owned it.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Yes, it's def a v1 Bottlerocket but I don't see 06 on the chart you posted so I am assuming it will be the same as the 2010 at 49.6mm top/bottom I guess, especially since the seller included a straight steerer Hope headset.

@Flow-Rider wow yeah I didn't really think about that. So yeah this is getting a bit complicated... so on my fork "shopping list" I'll need to find a:
  • 26" or 27.5" fork
  • 120-160mm travel
  • Dropout that can use my Norco hub axle that was meant for 9mm dropouts OR I buy a new front hub to suit fork
  • 1 1/8" steerer (straight or tapered but will then need possible headset conversion)
I am going to start hunting today but I feel like that really limits options, especially around the $500-600 mark hmm

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes, it's def a v1 Bottlerocket but I don't see 06 on the chart you posted so I am assuming it will be the same as the 2010 at 49.6mm top/bottom I guess, especially since the seller included a straight steerer Hope headset.

@Flow-Rider wow yeah I didn't really think about that. So yeah this is getting a bit complicated... so on my fork "shopping list" I'll need to find a:

26" or 27.5" fork
120-160mm travel
Dropout that can use my Norco hub axle that was meant for 9mm dropouts
1 1/8" steerer (straight or tapered but will then need possible headset conversion)

I am going to start hunting today but I feel like that really limits options, especially around the $500-600 mark hmm
You can get another front wheel or change the hub over, most high-travel forks will be 15 or 20mm axles. The 'Hope Hub' (come in gold colour too) is pretty good for being compatible across a few sizes with different adaptors but just be weary that forks come in Boost and Non-Boost axle width too, Boost has a wider hub than the other.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
You will only need to change the bottom section of the headset regardless of what forks you run, top section is already 1 1/8..if you run straight steerer you won't need to touch it.
most modern forks will run a 15mm TA, which means a hub change at the least..A cheaper option is hunt around for the forks you want (new or period correct ) and then try to find a 2nd hand wheel complete to suit..
The Manitou Mattoc Expert used to have internal spacers that came with the fork which you could 26" wheel with 170mm max travel or convert to 27.5" with 160mm max travel

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If...if you can find a fork with quick release axle to suit your project, don't do it. You'll end up with nothing but regret and sadness.

Now on to the good bits...if 160mm isn't deemed too much travel for the frame, this is probably your best bang for buck as a brand new fork and a solid benchmark to assess any used fork prices against. Plenty of guys on here have them and I believe there has been a lot of positive reviews. There is a catch...how do you feel about white?

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/manitou-mattoc-expert-mountain-bike-fork-27.5-160m/OT-FK-MT-02

Mullets are really cool right now, so you could bang a suitable 27.5 wheel on or (as I would probably do) opt for a 26 inch wheel with suitable hub. I do happen to have an unused 26 inch rims mounted to a 100x15mm hub I would love to sell, so pm me if you'd like to talk wheel (though note that post from NSW to Vic will probably kill the money savings, if it ever arrives!). Otherwise somewhere like chain reaction should have piles of good wheel options.

And jus in case the 27.5 fork is too much for your brain to comprehend (some people struggle) there is a 26 inch version.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
@pink poodle awesome thanks for the info. I am going to go with the 27.5 Manitou that you linked to. I am going to stick with the wheels I have for now and just re-lace the current front wheel to a 36h 15mm straight through hub like this one:
https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-mt-3300-20-x-110-36-hole-black-hub That should work right?

In the future when I have more cash for another set of wheels I think I'll go 27.5 front 26 rear, at least getting the 27.5 fork will give me the option if I like it.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If I'm looking at the right fork, a 20x110 hub won't go into a 15x100 fork.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Are you sure you can reuse the spokes? If the hub is a different size to the one you already have then you will need new spokes as well.
Yep I thought of that too, I'm just going to get Abbotsford Cycles (shop near me) to build the wheel with new spokes. It would be cheaper to re-use the spokes but if I have to buy them it's not a deal breaker.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yep I thought of that too, I'm just going to get Abbotsford Cycles (shop near me) to build the wheel with new spokes. It would be cheaper to re-use the spokes but if I have to buy them it's not a deal breaker.
Honestly if your trying to save some money buy a pre built 27.5 front wheel. Once you buy the hub, spokes, nipples and labour to build you will be way above a pre built wheel cost. You can then sell the 26 inch wheel to offset some of the cost.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle awesome thanks for the info. I am going to go with the 27.5 Manitou that you linked to. I am going to stick with the wheels I have for now and just re-lace the current front wheel to a 36h 15mm straight through hub like this one:
https://www.modernbike.com/origin8-mt-3300-20-x-110-36-hole-black-hub That should work right?

In the future when I have more cash for another set of wheels I think I'll go 27.5 front 26 rear, at least getting the 27.5 fork will give me the option if I like it.

Well....don't waste your money now. Just think about it, that hub of an unknown brand that may or may not be worthy of your money vs a hub just is worthy of your money...if you are planing to replace the whole lot in a whenever that is, why send some cash down the shitter now?

A hub like this is adaptable to all your current standards.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/hope-pro-4-mtb-front-hub-20mm-axle/rp-prod145293

I know you are thinking "nah man the budget can't cover that...you're full of more shit than a portable at a week long lentil convention..." But it's true. Ease back on the "now" factor and you'll see the truth.

Something like this is the O now and into the future for a small increase in the proce of your hub...

Or

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/spank-spoon-32-front-wheel/rp-prod193755

You lent regret the small extra up front fee after 12-18 months on the tra.
Don't be afraid to dream big...real big.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Well....don't waste your money now. Just think about it, that hub of an unknown brand that may or may not be worthy of your money vs a hub just is worthy of your money...if you are planing to replace the whole lot in a whenever that is, why send some cash down the shitter now?

A hub like this is adaptable to all your current standards.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/hope-pro-4-mtb-front-hub-20mm-axle/rp-prod145293

I know you are thinking "nah man the budget can't cover that...you're full of more shit than a portable at a week long lentil convention..." But it's true. Ease back on the "now" factor and you'll see the truth.

Something like this is the O now and into the future for a small increase in the proce of your hub...

Or

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/au/en/spank-spoon-32-front-wheel/rp-prod193755

You lent regret the small extra up front fee after 12-18 months on the tra.
Don't be afraid to dream big...real big.
You're right mate. I was thinking about this more last night and it just doesn't make sense to try to keep the gold 26" wheels I have from the Norco. I really did want gold rims but yeah there are far too many headaches because I also don't know if the rear axle situation is compatible anyways. Mountain bike stuff just has so many sizes and specs it's not super easy to mix-n-match stuff across frames like it used to be with BMX stuff. I don't mind spending the money, just was trying to keep a budget so I don't end up with the misses killing me hahah

So if I went with one of the 27.5 fronts you have there are there any specs I should be looking at when trying to find a 26" rear?