Advice for Bottlerocket build

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
there is a great but very unreasonable 2nd hand market for "retro" 26" parts at the moment, offload what you want to upgrade for an exorbitant price on FB or Scumtree and you should have enough to buy what ever you need in modern specs

phillynight

Likes Dirt
And maybe a coveted spot in the douche thread.
hahah nah I'm never going to gouge fellow bikers if I sell stuff, might even hang on to the norco and gold 26's to ride street stuff and grocery getter if I have enough parts leftover. Thanks to all of ya for the build advice, I am going to start ordering parts today and will doco the build here if ya wanna see how it goes!

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, build is moving along and need some advice on the cranks/BB... I looked up the 2006 Bottlerocket and the specs I found say:

Crankarms Truvativ Hussefelt 170mm
Bottom Bracket Truvativ GigaPipe Team

Will this set up work okay for me?

Truvativ E400 1-fach MTB Square Crank - 38 Teeth - 170mm - New

Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL ISIS Bike/Cycle Bottom Bracket - 118x68/68E/73mm

Which leaves me also in search of a chain guide which I believe the specs are ISCG OLD... this could be a little more difficult to find :/

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't waste your money on they crank!

Also that crank won't fit the bottom bracket you linked to. They have different axles.

Pretty sure any standard 68/73mm bottom bracket and crank will fit. 175mm arms are petty darn long!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Assuming a standard threaded 68/73mm bottom bracket shell, just grab a cheap black set of Shimano lower end cranks and a Shimano external bottom bracket.

Will this be run as a 1x? If so, separate purchase of a narrow wide chainring and/or a chainguide would be a good idea.

Probably the best option is to post a WTB thread on Rotorburn.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Awesome thanks! Yeah I only need a 1x.. I'll post up a WTB and maybe I can get lucky with picking up a few parts to get the build up and running and then upgrade as I go once it's rolling :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Actually noticed that when I saw the photos next to each other. Can you recommend a good set up for me?
Buy a new Shimano zee. Or the inexpensive generic Race face knock off I have in the garage.

Work out what iscg you need and get the relevant mounting guide.

Narrow/Wide ring is kind of irrelevant if you are using a guide. Don't rely on the clutch + nw ring if you plan to ride the bike like it is designed.

MARKL

Eats Squid
2 out of three aint bad....air, stanchions perfect...

What have you got against a 1.5 steerer?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
2 out of three aint bad....air, stanchions perfect...

What have you got against a 1.5 steerer?
Nothing against a 1.5 steerer except that I o
Already have a set with a 1.5 steerer and a frame to put them on. Getting a 1.5 straight head tube these days is hard work.

What colour lowers?

phillynight

Likes Dirt
Quick update, just waiting on a few last bits and the frame to get back from the powdercoater (sorry to the ppl who said leave it blue - I just thought it looked like Ikea colours and then I couldn't get it out of my head so it's gone all gloss white with a black suspension link) but once I get it back I should have this hog slapped together and can't wait to rip it and also figure out what needs to change in the setup, so far I've got:

Fox 36 Kash 27.5 160mm boost TA-QR fork - new
Fox Float Kash DPX2 140mm rear - new
Enduro new bearing kit for all frame pivots from Shockcraft NZ - new
Hope/FSR headset - kinda newish
DMR Defy 35mm x 35mm stem - new
Renthal black 35mm fat bar lite 760mm wide 20mm rise (on the way) - new
ODI Ruffian lockons - new
SRAM G2 RS front/rear - new bike take-off
Hayes 203mm for rear with adapter - used and Disco 203mm for front - new
(Saint v1 rear hub/203mm OS CL disk/cassette/9speed derailleur and shifter) - decided not to use bc of compatibility headaches
SRAM NX 1x11 drivetrain (on the way) - new bike take-off
Jagwire 1x Pro cable - new
Kamikaze ISDG03 guide - new
Polygon/Samox 170mm cranks and BB - newish bike take-off
DMR v12 magnesium black pedals - new
Zee 34t ring - used
Truvative 27.2 shimmed 30.0 post - new
Transition seat - newish bike take-off
Polygon post clamp - newish bike take-off
Nukeproof boost 27.5" front wheel - new
Stans Notubes 3.30 hd 12->10mm axle kit HG-hub Flow 26" rear wheel - used
Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.4f / 2.35r tubeless - new
Transition decal set metallic gold - new
Frame clear wrap for rubby spots - new

Kind of a weird mix of parts maybe but was trying to save money where I can upgrade later on when I get a good feel for the bike and what geometry/parts need to be upgraded or changed. Thanks so much to all the people who gave me advice on what fits what and some who sold me a few bits to get this thing together

Attachments