Advice for Bottlerocket build

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon that is the remnants of the stripped threads from the BB cup. It's pretty soft as you mentioned earlier, and in that pic it looks like the start of the BB threads are covered by powder coating which is pretty tough stuff. You'd think being a form of plastic, that it wouldn't be able to fark up metal threads but it would be more due to the powder coating forcing some misalignment as the cup feeds into the shell thread.

A BB facing tool is used after the thread chasing tool, and leaves the edges of the BB shell machined flat. Just searched the tools up and golly they aren't cheap ! The shop I worked in had a Campagnolo set, the Park version of the combined tool is almost $1000 on Wiggle right now. Paying $50 for the job would be worth it.

Tapping + Facing tool

phillynight

Likes Dirt
I reckon that is the remnants of the stripped threads from the BB cup. It's pretty soft as you mentioned earlier, and in that pic it looks like the start of the BB threads are covered by powder coating which is pretty tough stuff. You'd think being a form of plastic, that it wouldn't be able to fark up metal threads but it would be more due to the powder coating forcing some misalignment as the cup feeds into the shell thread.

A BB facing tool is used after the thread chasing tool, and leaves the edges of the BB shell machined flat. Just searched the tools up and golly they aren't cheap ! The shop I worked in had a Campagnolo set, the Park version of the combined tool is almost $1000 on Wiggle right now. Paying $50 for the job would be worth it.

Tapping + Facing tool
It seems like you've worked at a shop? Looking at what I've got - how bad do you think it is? I am waiting for Astroboy to get back in touch with me, but in the meantime I am just trying to figure out how 'scared' I should be that I really messed it up

creaky

XMAS Plumper
It seems like you've worked at a shop? Looking at what I've got - how bad do you think it is? I am waiting for Astroboy to get back in touch with me, but in the meantime I am just trying to figure out how 'scared' I should be that I really messed it up
You've got heaps of good thread left dude, I wouldn't be worried. Even if the damaged section of thread can't be chased it could be ground off and you'd still have enough thread left to tighten the BB just fine.

phillynight

Likes Dirt
You've got heaps of good thread left dude, I wouldn't be worried. Even if the damaged section of thread can't be chased it could be ground off and you'd still have enough thread left to tighten the BB just fine.
Thanks yeah that's a big relief! Just dropped it off with Astroboy so hopefully the next update here will be a fully assembled beast.

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You've got heaps of good thread left dude, I wouldn't be worried.
Yep, the cup will be fine and the steel thread in the frame looks fine too. A gentle lesson in mechanical fuckery that will help you develop good instincts for when things are not quite right. Or you'll really screw it up next time :D

Bungers

Squid
Might be able to use a thread file to clean up the threads. One like this. They come in all different thread types.

They work well. The amount of threads I've had to clean up over the years. These have been a godsend.

Sent from a bar somewhere

Last edited: