Advice for converting Sun Duroc 35 wheels to tubeless?

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Hi, I’ll soon be getting a bike with Sun Duroc 35 tubeless compatible rims and want to convert straight to tubeless,

Inner bead width is specified as being 31mm so am I correct in assuming that I’ll need 31mm wide tape as a minimum?

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'd aim for 35mm or so. Exterior masking tape from bunnings has worked for many people, myself included on my new bike. Pretty sure it comes at 35 or 36mm and worked well

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I grabbed some duroc 35 wheels from cycling deal and can confirm they come with tubeless tape installed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They should be taped already with Stans tape. Mount up a tyre, add some sealant, inflate, & you're good to go.

Edit: Ahh, check the bike comes with tubeless valves. If not, you'll need to get some.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Cheers guys,
Details on the bike manufawebsire says they’re tubeless ready but don’t come with tape or valves. Sounds like Sun Ringle don’t provide the tape for OEM wheelsets unfortunately.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers guys,
Details on the bike manufawebsire says they’re tubeless ready but don’t come with tape or valves. Sounds like Sun Ringle don’t provide the tape for OEM wheelsets unfortunately.
Ahh, bummer. No tape ≠ "Tubeless ready", that's some false advertising there if so. :rolleyes:

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
Actually, what the manufacturer says is thee wheels are tubeless compatible and the tyres are tubeless ready. An error in my paraphrasing there.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Actually, what the manufacturer says is thee wheels are tubeless compatible and the tyres are tubeless ready. An error in my paraphrasing there.
Where did you get them? If from cycling deal, like Drizzle says, tape is installed.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
If it isn't dont stress too much, installing tape is just a matter of getting a few mm's wider than the internal rim width and running it around the centre until both ends of the tape meet. If you need to buy valves, most LBS will sell them and get some sealant while you're there. Make sure its tubeless sealant and not "slime" Really any tubeless sealant will do.

This is the how to video that I've followed every time i've had to set up tubeless.

The main issue is getting the air to make the bead sit. I bought a pump with a air reservoir from cyclingdeal that has made that job super easy. Otherwise you may find that you need an air compressor or very good floor pump technique.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I grabbed some duroc 35 wheels from cycling deal and can confirm they come with tubeless tape installed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Great for the price! Loving mine
Hey guys, just wondering how you have found the Duroc 35 wheelset?

Any dramas? I've been trying to find some recent reviews on them but there isn't much info around...

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Hey guys, just wondering how you have found the Duroc 35 wheelset?

Any dramas? I've been trying to find some recent reviews on them but there isn't much info around...

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
They're great. Were really easy to set up tubeless. Stayed up for 24hr before I added sealant. Hubs are nice. Freeing up more as I ride them more. happy to recommend them.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I have found some like Stans really difficult , Moorey finds them easy however.
The main thing is to have the rim inner very clean if in doubt use alcohol and drink it to calm the nerves and then just put the tape on slowly ,meticulously only slightly stretching as you go round may be twice if there is room.
Put tyre mostly on.
Then make a hole just big enough for the valve and tighten but not overtighten at this point I always use silicon as well and let it dry.