Advice on an xc/enduro bike!

kellvanex

Likes Bikes
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a bike that can easily handle xc type riding, not too intense, but enough to pedal me up the hills relatively easily, but can also handle enduro type riding. I'm looking for ideas at the moment, and would like to know everyone's opinions on the matter. Price is an issue, and wouldn't be looking for anything over 2000. No carbon, don't need it.
First-hand also.
I'm aware it's kind of difficult to find a bike in the price range, but any help or advice would be helpful.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hi guys, i'm looking to buy a bike that can easily handle xc type riding, not too intense, but enough to pedal me up the hills relatively easily, but can also handle enduro type riding. I'm looking for ideas at the moment, and would like to know everyone's opinions on the matter. Price is an issue, and wouldn't be looking for anything over 2000. No carbon, don't need it.
First-hand also.
I'm aware it's kind of difficult to find a bike in the price range, but any help or advice would be helpful.
wouldnt imagine there would be anything worth while with full suspension new for under 2 grand. I would look second hand for FS with that cash. You might be able to pick up a 29er hard tail for 2 grand - try BH bikes.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
100mm/4" travel is all you need for the type of riding you're indicating - things like the Merida 99, Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic, etc. Although the marketing departments generally try to sell that style as a "race" bike, as usual it's mostly hyperbole, and the truth is that they are truly awesome, well-sorted XC enduro bikes.

Generally speaking though, you won't find any new dual suspension bikes worth considering (mainly due to poorly designed suspension systems) much below $2000 RRP, but if you hunt around you should be able to find things cheaper.

Last edited:

markusm

Likes Bikes
100mm/4" travel is all you need for the type of riding you're indicating - things like the Merida 99, Giant Anthem, Specialized Epic, etc. Although the marketing departments generally try to sell that style as a "race" bike, as usual it's mostly hyperbole, and the truth is that they are truly awesome, well-sorted XC enduro bikes.

Generally speaking though, you won't find any new dual suspension bikes worth considering (mainly due to poorly designed suspension systems) much below $2000 RRP, but if you hunt around you should be able to find things cheaper.
That's what I reckon too. My first bike had 160mm of travel, I hated it not long after getting it.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
2013 Giant Trance X2 29er for $1600-1700, 2012 Trance X1 26er for $2000, both on bikeexchange.com.au. Best bang for buck XC/trail bike around, perfect entry level bike

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
when you say enduro... what do you mean?
I was wondering that too...but given the OP is in Adelaide...I'd be thinking double track. The Adelaide Hills are chock full of it. Plus there's some big enduro style events throughout the cooler months - the upcoming Dirty Weekend comes to mind big time

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Haven't ridden one, but wouldn't an anthem 29er of some variety fit the bill? Dunno if they come under two grand though

frensham

Likes Dirt
when you say enduro... what do you mean?
My question too. Enduro meaning MARATHON as in 100 km races or Enduro as in GRAVITY racing on XC trails?

For marathon racing your money should buy you a decent hard tail 29er which will fit the bill nicely. For gravity racing you will need a dually - end of year specials should see your money buy you a basic setup.

lachlanjw

Likes Dirt
save up and spend more or find something 2nd hand

save up and spend more... I've bought a few bikes and wasted money on cheaper bikes. My advice is if your starting out why not find something 2nd hand that is quality. For $2000 you could get a reasonably new (1 or 2 years old) bike that's well spec'd. 2012 or 2011 stumpy would be my choice but plenty others out there. Do your research, know what your looking for and you should be able to snap up a 2nd gem.

or

If you want to buy new I would save up the bit more and buy something of higher quality. You can find giant duals such as anthems, trances and reigns all around the 2k mark. Reign 2 is 2k on for the riders I think and the reign 1 was 2.5k both on sale.

Me I'm saving for the Spesh stumpy evo :) After riding one It's defiantly worth the 3k. Best geo I've found for a bike that is killa at pretty much all of it. Super fun and flicky

Old C

Likes Bikes
The question, what do you mean by enduro?

I would suggest that you are mistaken about your need for carbon...everybody needs carbon. Secondly, stop being precious about buying second hand, you are turning your back on the best bargains unless you work for a bike shop.

So, enduro for $2k, go second hand, probably hard tail with 29 inch wheels, as this is a great way to be fast up and down hills, and if you are younger than me, you can handle the kick in the arse. Also, being carbon, the arse kicking is not as bad. The only people that are fast up hill on something like a stumpy or trance are very fit and weigh about 65kg.

Also, in contrast, consider that 26 inch at the mo, is not very popular, if you can handle little wheels, these are a better bang for buck, I love my 29er, but my 26er is way cool also.

lachlanjw

Likes Dirt
I think Old C is talking about xc racing lol... Enduro is yet to be defined in general. Best type of enduro racing (in my opinion) are the ones where only the DH technical sections are timed and you are given a time limit to get back to the top ready for the next stage. Person who wins is the person who is quickest on all the DH sections. I would much prefer a stumpy or remedy or something with a bit of travel. A 29 inch carbon would be too harsh and slow. If you are riding xc then heck, buy a xc 29er hardtail.

(26 inch arn't popular)???? Is that some kind of joke Old C??

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
"Enduro" is a pretty loose-fitting term. Remeber it's derived from "endurance", which implies several hours on the thing, regardless of other details. When you narrow it down to XC Enduro, you'll find that courses are not overly technical in general. Therefore 4" of travel would be ample.

ktmray77

Likes Bikes
Don't know if it means much but my LBS got me on a nice 2013 Giant XTC 29er Composite 2 hardtail with SLX brakes
for just under $2k and I'm very very happy with this bike. I would suggest talking to your LBS have a ride of a couple
of different frames, styles etc and see what floats your boat.