Advice on Cutting Seat tube

kand

Likes Dirt
The pipe cutter idea works ace on bars, steerers and seat posts, not sure you'd have the same success with a frame though. Might be ok if you're cutting below the clamp slit, but that'll cause you all sorts of issues if it needs to cut over it.

If you use a hacksaw, make sure you have a fine tooth count, it'll take longer but you'll cut smoother. And also be careful not to cut into your hose clamp guide, if anything cut slightly above it and file it down.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

more good advice.....you guys will make a mechanic out of me yet

kand

Likes Dirt
Dont want to be rude but how long is the slit ?.
You may need to follow Mooreys advice and drill a hole further down and cut to it so you can clamp the post.
I only need to cut off 12mm. ie, I'll be cutting thru the slit. The hole is about another 15mm further down.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My dropper post is too long. I need to cut the seat tube by about 12mm so I will have the correct leg length from pedal to saddle.
Needing advice on how to make sure a get a straight cut on the same angle as the seat post is.....aka: what could I use as a guide? I'm hoping to do it with a pipe cutter....OR I'd rather go to a local machine shop at Thornleigh, Sydney as I'm pretty hopelss with tools plus a good quality pipe cutter will set me back $75
thanks

View attachment 357539
its last resort cutting the frame, it'll mean the clamp is closer to the weld, will void warranty if you still have one as well. cut the dropper, there's material there above the weld for a reason, high stress area imo.