advice on new/second hand bikes

zzzz

Squid
Hi,

New to the forum but not MTB's.
I used to own a specialized FSR all tricked up and enjoyed riding it a lot.

I haven't been riding for a few years now, but would like to get back into it.
Only want to spend around $1500-2000 to get into a duallie of some sort.
I am happy to upgrade it at a later date to make it better, but can only afford that sort of bike to begin with.

I think it has to be a duallie as I just love the versatility and want to spend some time on steep firetrails and bumpy sections.

Also going to commute on it, but it is only a short ride and I like the extra difficulty of commuting on a duallie - just makes you fitter :D

What is around on the second hand market for that sort of money?

For brand new I like the look of the Specialized big hit for AUS$1999 or so.

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?san=03BigHit&bl=mountain&my=2003

Forks are not the best.
Rear shock is questionable as well.

Any advice would be great :)

thanks in advance.

S.

ex offender
When buying second hand - make sure you're not buying stolen goods. Inspect the frame, ask questions about components that don't have a label on them (eg "What bottom bracket has this got?") and if they don't know anything about it then either a) they don't know enough about their bike to have much idea what condition it's in (don't buy) or b) it's not their bike!

On the second hand market, you might find something like a Norco VPS somethingorother (I sold my VPS Atomik for $1100, it was less than a year old and in very good condition - rrp was $2500), and I know a guy who just bought a VPS Drop for about $1600 or so. Realistically I don't think it's worth buying a new duallie in that price range, you're better off to buy used and get better specs straightaway. The frames that come on sub-$2000 duallies don't tend to be very strong, so upgrading all the components probably won't help you that much.

I'd look around for a used BigHit Comp, VPS Atomik, or Giant AC 2/3.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey!

Welcome to the forums :)

I'd personally be looking for something second hand. Something for $2k second hand could buy you something nice. There are some absolute bargains out there! Happy hunting :)

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Also, try to find out as much about the person who owned the bike before you as possible.

Was the person a pro rider? Was it used in competitions a lot?
Was the person a serious freerider? This is probably even worse - especially with the "drop to flat" phenomenon...

Best person to buy off is a poser. Do not hate the "poser". They are the absolute best for getting the best bikes in the best shape.

But how do you know they're a poser?

Bikes with hardly any scratches are a good clue... Ask what their favorite trail is, possibly?

The weaker the rider, the better the bike.

Adi

It's my birthday!
:lol: you beat me to it :lol:

Also test ride the frame, and definately double and triple check for any sorts of cracks.

C ya!

Likes Bikes
lotsa scratches from DH shuttles on the fork lowers but the rest is all good.
fave trail: mt crosby DH

Az

Likes Dirt
If you decide to go new, i can recomend the Big hit. Compared to any thing else for the same price it rocks!
8" hayes
Husslefelt - cranks, BB, stem
mmmm single pivot simplicity!!!

the forks works suprising well!

And the biggest bonus is that specialized have a 5 year frame warrnty!
Ive got one so if you have Q's just ask
Im really happy with mine, and to think i
was going to back to a hardtail!! (my car died at the same time as my old bike)

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
i've got a bighit to.it is a bang up bike i must say.nothing but good times and sick trail have happend to this bike.

but if you are wanting to ride this thing to work id think agian it is as heavey as a brick shit house.ok if it's all DH to work and then your old woman picks you up at the end of the day .go for it. but if it's going to be doing more commuting then dh.ing. id look for something that will be a little more rider friendly whne you get to and from work.

yes the forks work well so dose the rear shox.heavey would be the only gripe about this bike..

phsyco Miko

Likes Dirt
Az said:
And the biggest bonus is that specialized have a 5 year frame warrnty!

just double check on the warranty my gaint frame cracked after 1 month and i was told no warranty the pricks told me the giant dh comp should be ridden on road and no gutter jumping :(

zzzz

Squid
thanks for all the advice :)

The bighit doesn't quite look the goods to me after assessing everything.
Not to dismiss the guys comments that have them already. Might go and have a ride of one and then see what I think but at the moment it may be out...

What about giant AC3? Brand new they are $2300 I think. And then there are their XC ones which look like a very similar frame just 4" or so of travel instead of 5" +
Sorry if I am off on the model names, not 100% on all of them yet.

It looks like a second hand duallie may be the best bet so I will keep my eyes open.

cheers

z

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I reckon if you can get aroudn 2k you can't go wrong with either the Big hit or check out the fluid 3. both are great bikes which you can't go wrong with. I would stay away from giants.. I have heard of too many cracking but, there is also alot more giants aroudn than other bikes. If you can't get that, get a Norco shore hardtail. At the price range you are looking at, components ain't goign to be the best but they will more than surfice :)