Advice please.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
So, I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

Have a 2014 Specialized Hardrock Disc 29er (picked up dirt cheap) with Reba forks and a couple of other nice bits. I also have an XT drivetrain on the way for it so it should be a decent thing.

Now I'm asking myself if it's worth it, or do I put all the standard bits back on it, flog it off, flog the forks and drivetrain off and get something a little higher end (say second hand, 1000 or so) and start from there? There's a Specialized Epic 26" on fleabay at the moment that's caught my eye and something that isn't a hardtail would be nice, I must be getting old.

Main uses are as a commuter so will be on the train a bit and also to hit some XC up every now and then.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Really is down to what you want to use your bike for and how much you want to spend.
A dually is nice on trails, any kind of trails. On the other hand, a 29er hard tail will roll nicer on the commutes.
You could continue to ride the Hardrock, keep your upgrade bits aside and save money until you can afford to buy a reasonable priced dually. Take your time and upgrade that while still having your hardtail.
This would be best of both worlds, but may take some time to get there.

There are some stonking deals in the trading section on here if you keep your eye out. Chances are you will get a better spec'd and cared for rig from a fellow burner than on flea bay.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I did almost make the same gag myself. If you want I can grind off the dropouts and weld on an extended so you can fit you girls wheels on? But it is always time for an upgrade! Go dual and be more comfortable.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Damn. I'd have to stick with normal person wheels then.

Tell you what though, if I were to go a new old bike a nomad would be up the top of the want list.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Damn. I'd have to stick with normal person wheels then.

Tell you what though, if I were to go a new old bike a nomad would be up the top of the want list.
As you can see this is only going to appreciate in value. It's a good time to buy in on the ground floor. Then hang it on the wall for 15-20 years and watch your net worth grow!

What are normal person wheels?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
26" are normal person size, hell my 29ers are almost as tall as me!
I hate that it's getting increasingly harder to buy a new normal persons bike. I'm not against big wheels for big people. Saw a kid with a 650b on the lifts the other day, for his size it seemed a bit ridiculous.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
There's a medium trance on the fb bike page for 600, seems like a good low cost option.

Has Sram x9, although I have an XT groupset on the way so...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's a medium trance on the fb bike page for 600, seems like a good low cost option.

Has Sram x9, although I have an XT groupset on the way so...
Tell him his dreaming. Then when you buy it, sell the parts you don't want and prepare for happiness.

And much expense. Time to make a move...

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anthem is pegged as an XC race /marathon / light trial bike
Trance is pegged as a trail / enduro (the down one, not the long one)

So depends what you want to do - do you want to race (and be competitive) or are you here for a good time, not a fast time?

(You still got your R26? Great cars, when they're running. Had a Clio Sport, never should have sold that...)

Last edited:

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Anthem is pegged as an XC race /marathon / light trial bike
Trance is pegged as a trail / enduro (the down one, not the long one)

So depends what you want to do - do you want to race (and be competitive) or are you here for a good time, not a fast time?

(You still got your R26? Great cars, when they're running. Had a Clio Sport, never should have sold that...)
Always after a good time, not looking to get into racing (well not at the minute, running fills my competitive needs). But still I like things that are a little harder, lighter and racey. Hence the R26, yes I do have it still and it is a brilliant bit of kit.

Bought it off someone into MTB strangely enough.

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
eBay offer accepted on this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321556268888?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Decent rig hopefully, well it'll be better than the Hardrock that's for sure! Googling tells me it's an 09 and the pics tell me it's an X1, so this is what it actually is http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/anthem.x.1/2333/32052/#features

$750 for what was near enough to 4k (if you ever paid RRP) seems like a decent enough deal, this will be my "everything" bike, from commuting to hitting the trails.

Did I do good?