Advice sought - swap my 26 for a 29?

tunsis

Likes Bikes
Seeking a bit of advice...

I have a 2008 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper. This one:

http://www.specialized.com/ie/gb/bikes/archive/2008/s-worksmountain/s-worksstumpjumperfsr#specs

I've not been riding it properly for a few years (moved countries, just been on road bikes) but my partner now wants to get into riding trails so in addition to getting her a bike, I've been looking at sorting my neglected Stumpy a bit... convert it to 1x10, service the shocks, put in a dropper post etc.

But I'm also quite interested in getting into XC riding.... I did the Epic last year and was somewhat blown away by the 29'er brigade just floating past. XC seems more my riding style / ability than full on gnarly downhill descents like say, bombing down the Powerful Owl trail etc.

So I'm wondering if I should keep the Stumpy... spec it up a bit and bash round on that, and build a dedicated HT XC machine? The Stumpy is certainly more bike than I am rider. Or maybe throw the towel in and sell the Stumpy (not sure what it would be worth) and pick up a 2nd hand Specialized Enduro 29'er or similar that kinda does it all? I'm 6 foot 2, am I going to gain much with a 29'er?

Advice appreciated!

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I think a 29er will suit you down to the ground. I'm also 6'2" and 26" wheels look dumb on an XL frame (in much the same way as 29" wheels look dumb on a S frame). By "look" I also mean perform and handle, so it's not just a fashionista thing. If you want to hedge your bets and futureproof your ride (as much as you can these days) also consider 27.5 / 650b.
If you'd prefer to develop your jumping and hucking skills, stick with 26".

moman

Likes Dirt
I'm also tall at 6'4. Riding a 29er was a revelation. Definitely wouldn't go back to 26 but haven't tried 27.5.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
If you are happy to ride a Specialized, which we have established you are....and you want to do more XC then a new 29er stumpy or enduro would be worth considering. They are fairly well priced and get good riding reviews.

stirk

Burner
Go have a look at 29'ers and try a few rides.

Ignore the fanatics banging on about wheel size I think they all have pros and con's it about how it feels for you.

Just remember you can blow 29'ers away if your fitter than the riders on em.

But keep the stumpy. n+1

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Seeking a bit of advice...

So I'm wondering if I should keep the Stumpy... spec it up a bit and bash round on that, and build a dedicated HT XC machine?
Yes. N+1 is always the answer. Tyre size is merely a choice...not an answer.

Winno

Likes Dirt
You just gotta taste the pies to know what flavour you like.

Me?
Sticking with a very well set up 26er hardtail.
My mate found his 29 too big for the tight trails we ride.
He's much happier on his newer 27.5.

I still smoke him up AND down every trail - me on a ht and he on a 4" dually.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you like Spec (no reason not to really) go talk to the friendly folk at Epic in Milton or Graceville Cycles - both have demo bikes available.
It is also coming into demo season - Giant and Specialized have run extensive demo programs in the past, and FTR have also run them. These typically run in the next month or two. Definitely worth a look if you can hold out, as you might be surprised. I was, bought a bike I wasn't even looking at to start with, and am loving it...

Al..

stirk

Burner
Get a 27.5 and put a big high volume tyre on and it will measure closer to 28 inches.
When someone asks you what your riding tell them it's a 28'er and watch the look of confusion come over their face as they are trying to work out what you said!

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
I'm not going to say if you should buy a 29er or not as I'm still on 26" wheels and lose nothing to my riding mates on 29ers but that's on trails that are tight and twisty so......

Sounds like you are more into the XC side of things and i question why you would want a Specialized Enduro? If you want to stay with Specialized, I'd look at the Camber or Stumpjumper. Both are highly capable Trail bikes and I don't think you would ever feel under biked especially on the new Stumpy.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Personally, I find the long travel 26 + hard tail 29 combo fits like a glove. I just take the bike that suits my mood on the day.

If you want a 'one bike for all occaisions' deal, then I reckon you can't go past the camber 29. It's capable, comfortable and doesn't really feel out of place anywhere, mine was awesome. But I'm faster on my hardtail and have more fun on my all mountain bike so the camber just ended up not being used...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

tunsis

Likes Bikes
thanks all for the comments, appreciated.

(got dragged away for work so couldn't quite pay attention to thread)

I'll go test ride some FS 29'ers and see what the are like, but think am leaning towards keeping a sorted Stumpy and build up a HT 29'er cheaply.

One size never really does fit all :)

Old C

Likes Bikes
I have the pleasure of a 29er trail bike (rocky mountain Instinct) and a very racy XC 29er (spesh Epic) they are both great bikes for different reasons. If you want a fun bike, keep the stumpy; if you want to do XC races, get a HT or Epic or something similar. I think that ideally n+1, you are never going to get the kind of coin for the stumpy that you think that it is worth...so keep riding it, and get another bike for racing!