Advice wanted! Mountain biking in Australian Alps?

Me and my husband are coming to Australia next year from the Uk for a wedding, and want to make it into a holiday for some mountain biking.

Was wanting some advice about good destinations? The wedding is in Sydney, so have been looking at the Austalian Alps area but not sure where is best? We are cross country riders so looking for that kind of thing. The wedding is the 17th March, so would go either a week or two before or after that. Advice on that also appreciated! What would weather be like?

Lastly, is there any budget accommodation in that area? Won't be able to bring our camping stuff on flight, but perhaps cabins in a campsite or hut or something along those lines?

Appreciate any advice from local mountain bikers! Thanks.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Australia has Alps? Ummm...we have some Hills, some are biggish. Well for hills that is.

Sydney is well located. There is plenty of local riding. You also have easy access (if you have a car or similar) to Thredbo and the related area (I think that is what our marketing liars call the Alps). You could also venture north to Ourimbah and Awaba. Both have quality club trails and are easy to find. You could always hire a guide as well. I know a guy ;)

There are a few "where should I go for a road trip?" threads in the travel section that have some good location tips. Just remember it's a BIG place and most places are really spread out...

And ride in late March. I hate the heat and humidity of summer and the further you can get from it the better.

Canb, Jindy, Thredbo, Tathra, Bermagui, Mogo. Oops I just realised it's already happened. Can't delete post.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies. Have looked up all the suggestions, thanks. Most of the suggestions are man made trails, are there any areas of natural mountain biking trails? Enough stuff for a weeks trip? Doesn't have to be super close to Sydney. Up to a day's drive away?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thanks guys for the replies. Have looked up all the suggestions, thanks. Most of the suggestions are man made trails, are there any areas of natural mountain biking trails? Enough stuff for a weeks trip? Doesn't have to be super close to Sydney. Up to a day's drive away?
Not a great deal of backcountry stuff here, and a lot of stuff is off limits. Probably your best bet is parts of the Bicentennial trail along the great dividing range. Not much done in the way of maintenance, was originally stock routes for driving cattle on horse back. Some sections have huts to help with multi day trips, but be warned, some areas are pretty remote, with 3 fiths of bugger all in the way of either cell coverage or civilization. Also a lot of it is on private land, and access needs to be pre arranged.

http://www.bicentennialnationaltrail.com.au/

#frickenawesomefunthough #ditchthenuptulsandjustride

#hashtag

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Also, if you're on facebook, search bikepacking Australia. That group may have more info on backcountry rides.

#hashtag

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In case anyone else is searching for bikepacking experiences in Australia. Mundabiddi Trail in WA. The trail is very well set up....the huts are really well designed and some incorporate an area to work on preventative bike maintenance. You can access the trail head from Perth Airport in a cab for about $50.00. The furthest distance you would need to cover in a day is about 40kms....in saying this the terrain can be quite challenging in places...especially after a few consecutive days of rain. Some of the sections in the Great Southern area are pretty amazing to experience.

Last edited: