Affordable Cairns bike/gear hire.

moorey

call me Mia
Hey jerks.
So, I'm languishing in cairns this week without a bike. That's ok, wasn't planning to ride (catching up with Inlaws), but the wife tells me last night she had tried to buy a riding package for the son and I to do a few runs down Smithfield. Firstly, the wife said that whoever she had approached wouldn't let my son hire anything other than a HT, due to his age (he's 10, but a competent rider and DH racer), secondly, the price was phenomenal (something around $400 each).
Any locals or regulars got a heads up on something more do-able?
Cheers.

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Another option for shuttles but no bike hire is Graig at Tropic Rides:
http://www.tropicrides.com/

Craig is a good bloke with shit loads of local knowledge, give him a call and he may even be able to set up a bike
What ever you do, if you can possibly manage it, get yourself up to Atherton, its only 75 minutes up the road.
If you do make it up the Atherton I can pretty much guarantee you a couple of bikes as I know a bloke who just bought out a fleet of hire bikes including decent Duallies based in Atherton.
PM me and I will sort his phone number for you.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I did a tour with these guys a few years back
http://cairnsmountainbiketours.com
They do hire as well, at much less than what your Mrs was quoted.
The operator is a cairns local and DH racer, and operates on Cairns time, which I wasn't expecting.

Al..
Cheers. I think it's them she approached. They sound Bonza, but 1/2
day DH bike/gear alone is $185 each...not that they were prepared to hire him a duallie.

moorey

call me Mia
Another option for shuttles but no bike hire is Graig at Tropic Rides:
http://www.tropicrides.com/

Craig is a good bloke with shit loads of local knowledge, give him a call and he may even be able to set up a bike
What ever you do, if you can possibly manage it, get yourself up to Atherton, its only 75 minutes up the road.
If you do make it up the Atherton I can pretty much guarantee you a couple of bikes as I know a bloke who just bought out a fleet of hire bikes including decent Duallies based in Atherton.
PM me and I will sort his phone number for you.
Cheers man, will have to be next time for that. Tomorrow is the only day the MIL hasn't booked activities. I hadn't been expecting to get any riding in, otherwise would have looked into it earlier.

I used Cairns Mountain Bike Tours for a half day hire when I was up there a month ago. Pretty sure it cost me $95 half day for a dualie norco (not DH bike). Was worth it man, awesome riding.

beejay

Likes Dirt
I did a tour with these guys a few years back
http://cairnsmountainbiketours.com
They do hire as well, at much less than what your Mrs was quoted.
The operator is a cairns local and DH racer, and operates on Cairns time, which I wasn't expecting.

Al..
^^^These guys are the best option up here but still a bit pricey.

A little bit cheeky but you could always try Bicycle Centre Cairns (Giant), or Discovery Cycles (Trek), or Pump 'N' Pedals (Specialized) for a Demo Bike, They're usually pretty chilled up here when it comes to taking one out for the day for a spin.

Cheka

Likes Bikes
^^^These guys are the best option up here but still a bit pricey.

A little bit cheeky but you could always try Bicycle Centre Cairns (Giant), or Discovery Cycles (Trek), or Pump 'N' Pedals (Specialized) for a Demo Bike, They're usually pretty chilled up here when it comes to taking one out for the day for a spin.
Give Trina a try at www.probikerental.com.au

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Moorey, PM me and you can borrow my Norco Six. It's set up with flats, I can even put 26 wheels back on it for you...I'm 10 minutes ride from the Smithy Trail Head. Got a spare camelback and helmet too...just not lending you any Knicks...:whistle:
I'm at work during the Day, but Mrs should be home.
Oh, one word of warning, Brakes are yanky style...allen keys in the shed if you want to swap.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey, PM me and you can borrow my Norco Six. It's set up with flats, I can even put 26 wheels back on it for you...I'm 10 minutes ride from the Smithy Trail Head. Got a spare camelback and helmet too...just not lending you any Knicks...:whistle:
I'm at work during the Day, but Mrs should be home.
Oh, one word of warning, Brakes are yanky style...allen keys in the shed if you want to swap.
Replied. Awesome offer mate, really appreciate it, but have left my run too late now, and was planning a roll with my boy. Thanks for all the offers and suggestions I've had guys. I'll get all my poo in one sock for next time I'm in town, and will try to catch up with a few of you locals. :hug: