Age is no boundary!

Bazzil ballbag

Likes Dirt
I'm 34 and just started dirt jumping/street riding 2 years ago. I've been riding since I was 18 but I've now got Chronic fatigue syndrome so a little bit of jumping (1 hr max) is all I can manage. The only people I seem to bump into at the jumps/park etc are teenage boys or even younger!!

sketchylanding

Likes Bikes
I'm 44 and just started racing downhill this year. Loving it. We ride in a mixed crew on weekends with 20 somethings right through to the crusty-olds like me. Age means nothing!

But one thing I really enjoy is being able to ride with my 8 yr old son. Its a special thing being able to share a sport with your kids. I intend to still be riding long after the point he has to wait for me (which at the rate he is going wont be that far off)

Old golfers don't die..they just go riding

After 20 years playing top level golf, then 2 kids, bike riding has become my new best friend.

Riding keeps me energised, motivated and wanting more. Longer the better. Around the Bay, Woodend 100km, Anaconda Enduro Series etc. All part of my 'Get Fit Before I'm Forty' campaign. I'll celebrate by completing the Otway Odyssey (I hope) next year.

Cooch

Likes Dirt
After 20 years playing top level golf, then 2 kids, bike riding has become my new best friend.

Riding keeps me energised, motivated and wanting more. Longer the better. Around the Bay, Woodend 100km, Anaconda Enduro Series etc. All part of my 'Get Fit Before I'm Forty' campaign. I'll celebrate by completing the Otway Odyssey (I hope) next year.
What took you so long!!! A mate of ours just recently sold his golf clubs to buy a dirt jump bike :D

If riding keeps you energised, motivated and wanting more, are you saying that golf makes you fat, lazy and wanting less...? Just asking, cause I see all these fat bald guys driving around golf courses on the weekend - really pushing their weak hearts to the max :D

Riding is the new golf!

Golf is great..but only when you win, hit a great shot or shoot a good round.

Riding the other hand, makes me feel great the moment I warm up. I'm too young to play golf. The avergae age at my club (kingston Heath) was 60+.

Now, just let me ride my bike. I see more, meet more great people and it gets the heart pumping like I'm a kid again.

According to the LBS, riding is the new golf and I'd agree. I'd blow $4k+ a year playing golf. That's equal to a new bike every year. And unless you compete, riding is free. Fantastic.

brettly

Likes Dirt
A bunch of mates are late 30's and we ride a few times a week. Friday arvo ride is normally followed by beers at my joint. We mostly do XC and tech single. We love it and manage to pull another friend into it every now and then. Keeps us fit and is better for the body than the sports we used to play. Much better on the joints. Gets us out together and the wives don't mind so much as they kind of like a cyclists body.

There are about 10 of us now who had bought new MTB's in the last 2 years. As kids we had BMX's (late 70's and early 80's). Most of us were born around 1970. We mostly bought hard tails and are now converting to duellies.

One of the good things about hitting a sport like this when your older is that you can afford to buy almost whatever you like, so long as you can justify it to yourself. I find bike shops often have young dudes saying stuff like "Hmm well these ones are expensive, and may be more than you need." And you think, "Dude I just spent 40 hours a week earning a fair bit more than the average newspaper delivery kid, It's my hobby and I don't GAF, so I'll take it, and I'll also have that and that and that".

Hey I have noticed that cruising the streets from place to place that the 40+ women walking their dogs etc will often have a bit of perv at my legs. I was a bit surprised at first but now I make sure they get a good look. Now if only their daughters could show a bit more body off in return! It's funny eh, younger ones stick their tits pout as you ride by, where as if you were driving they would be head down looking away. lol

I've also met a few late-30 MTB locals in the area (really experienced/skilled riders) and they come over and get on the piss on Fridays too, we learn heaps from them.

We tend to take it much easier on the riskier stuff than than we would of 20 years ago. The frontal lobe (which helps a person to consider the outcomes of actions - prior to doing it) is not full developed int he male till the early to mid twenties, this is a contributing factor to why teen boys do some silly things. In the female it develops much earlier. Thats why girls seem a bit more sensible at those ages. It's not all about hormones and all that shit.

We also know that our bones are getting more brittle and it takes longer to heal when your older. Additionally, we have most likely had and seen a variety of juries and can remember that 'It farkin hurts!' (at least until it goes numb, we get an anesthetic, or we pass out. It helps us stay alive.
Amen to that read..at almost 39 myself, couldnt agree more..

Volatile

Likes Bikes
I skipped through to the last page... I'm 37 donchaknow, and I need a nap ;(

Any guys in the Toongabbie area willing to accept a new rider to the flock?

davo231481

Likes Bikes
i hit 46 last bday and the biggest difference between now and 16 is im now aware how much its gonna hurt and how long the hurt will last. Been riding mtb about 10 mths now and love it. watch fuel and nat geo when im kickingback with a beer at night.going to watch world cup in august.

HamaNinjA

Likes Bikes

I am 40 this year, still feel 17- but like you guys said don't heal as quick as then,

See you at the WC in Aug.

LBJ:D

crash bandicoot

Likes Dirt
Took up mtbing 3 years ago when I was 45 after 20 years of letting myself go.
Way, way, way too much fun, should have started sooner.
To celebrate my 48th birthday a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would treat myself to a big crash at Sparrow Hill.
Managed to avoid damaging the bike by landing underneath it, unfortunately skin is a lot softer than alloy, and I lost plenty.:)

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
im a ripe old 21 (22 this year :p) but my mum has just bought her first mtb (along with her partner) at the (almost) adolescent age of 52.. after supporting my riding for the last 9-10 years. so happy for her can't wait to smash out stromlo xc with her once the bug gets lodged deep under her skin

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Funny that this got bumped back up at the moment....Reidy, you near a computer in your hospital bed?:p