Age is no boundary!

Kano

Likes Dirt
I'm 34 and have been riding for years and still dh-ing

Race the Mont 24 hr in a team of 4, one of the team members was 62, he rode like a demon and left us for dead. What a legend, even at 3am in the morning he was more keen to ride than guys half his age.

I commute 60kms a day on my Gary Fisher rigid 29er, then off-road on trails each Sunday, mostly national parks, on my Santa Cruz Chamelon. I'm 59 - no need to stop- ride for ever!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I commute 60kms a day on my Gary Fisher rigid 29er, then off-road on trails each Sunday, mostly national parks, on my Santa Cruz Chamelon. I'm 59 - no need to stop- ride for ever!
Top stuff. I think you take out the highly respected and esteemed title of most mature farkiner.

Good on you mate, hope you keep 'em cranking for years to come.

Great thread.

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow some very aspiring comments in this thread.Geeez just over a month ago now,was riding with some new found riders, this time they had there father out,im guessing 50's.

Doing everything that we were doing(dh/fr) and he even hit up some 5ft drops and some decent gaps,it was wicked to watch.

schwing

Likes Dirt
OLD farks unite- Is this a call for a new section>? but lets not be ageist-

It's good that some of the younger guys who may not have a good older role model at home may find them on the trails, or here on Farkin.

40 years old and love riding -

Like a gnarly trail ride , an fire trail epic , or road blast, or the odd enduro event ( they're all a bit odd) , or bi annual weekend tour.

Probably too many bikes- bit working on a cull, and it's fun swapping bikes around and changing their nature/ feel

Ride time has been gutted a bit with reno's and sprogling number #1
But slowly the light at the end of the tunnel in showing, sure enough it will be time to saddle up agian.

still surf when I get the chance, but living near Hornsby has cut the 1-2 hr escapes.

Heckler , Handjob, Soma smoothie and Rivendell Atlantis ( wedding present to me!)

Last edited:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Hey man, is it true you can legally ride Nat Parks in NSW?? I'm from QLD and thinking about a MTB trip down your way....

scblack

Leucocholic
Hey man, is it true you can legally ride Nat Parks in NSW?? I'm from QLD and thinking about a MTB trip down your way....
Generally NO, Royal National Park has set up some trails.

Standard rule is National Parks are off-limits.

tallongdownhill

Likes Dirt
im 32 and people say im nuts for doin downhill but hey you only live once.:) but the good thing is my 9 year old son is doin it now with me so who says i don't spend time with my boy

Last edited:

old4dy

Likes Dirt
To all those oldies great thread, at first i thought it would get locked up, because it had been covered before.

Thank you mods for not doing so, the oldies really need to get their point across without some 14yo giving them a bagging.

To those oldies with kids growing up, be patient things will only get better as the kids get older.

Its great to be able to share some more time with your kids in this busy day and age, i tend to revel in the fact, that i can ride with my sons 4 of them most weekends, i may be a noob to mountain biking but getting out with them has made my relationship with them a lot stronger, as i tend to listen a bit more intently to whatever hints they have to offer, the only trouble is i still cant catch the youngest, i may never will but i try.

Until i crashed and broke a collarbone, racing is the done thing up here in the mountains dont wnt to be wrapped up in cotton wool like a lot of my peers.
The racing is alot of fun who can honestly say they have raced DH against a heap of 12-13 year olds and still not caught them.

The bug has set in big time now, have gone one step further and turned into track fairy carving runs for everyone to have fun with.

Im hoping my actions will rub off on others, more oldies to race against instead of the kids, im still holding my breath.

Any oldies wanting to race this weekend Central Tablelands Mountain Bike Club have a short course DownHill on this Sunday the 16th.Very user friendly courses 3 tracks at the moment no 4 is carved but not tweeked.

So oldies come along if you can.

Cheers:p:p:p:p

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I'll even shout a beer to anyone over 50 who kicks Old4dys butt just to shut him up:D:D:D

Seriously if 2 or more over 50s turn up I'll run an separate Old farts category.

dweeze

Squid
41 next week and not riding as much as I'd like in last 2 years due to work and building house. Still get major rush out of pinning DH but keep air time to a minimum while out of practice. Have ridden with crew from 10 to 75 y.o. Physical age is irrelevant. Mental attitude is where it's at - stay young in your mind.

Totally agree having MTB in 70's / 80's would have been cool but we did have BMX and lawyers weren't nearly as active so we got away with heaps you couldn't do now. :cool:

Forgot to add: best thing about being an older rider is finally having some money to buy a decent ride and gear. Always scratched around for cheap crap as a kid.

Last edited:

demodv8

Likes Dirt
Hey whats the big deal I'm 50 just sold my Demo8 and bought a demo7 heaps better to pedal my legs aint what they use to be. Use to race dirt bikes didnt take long to get the hang of it. So many places to ride and so close to home . rather go down hill than up . people think I'm mad I think it's the best thing Iv'e ever done

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
rather go down hill than up . people think I'm mad I think it's the best thing Iv'e ever done
I hear ya Demodv8....:D

Whilest visiting Brisvegas the funniest thing I have seen was after a ride, a group of "older riders" a little older than me, were sitting around an eski drinking beer, totally knacker after riding all day, but the look on their face said it all. Happy as a pig in sh!t.

dhd

Downhill Direct
I'm sure there is an element of "the older you get the more you appreciate it" involved as well!
I'm 43 and as into this bike thing as I've ever been. Can't see myself stopping any time soon either!

Stubags

Likes Bikes
Man this thread is like a tonic!

I'm 42 and ride alot of XC and a bit of Downhill. Much more scared of getting injured these days (takes alot longer to get over it!) but I still go big. I rekon I'm fitter now than I was at 20.

Badams

Likes Dirt
young gun lol

im 14 been ridin xc since i was 7 dj's since i was 8 and dh to present and all of the above ever since i live for riding. ive had a few good crashes, out for like 20 mins, concussion, broken bones, muscles so fuxxed i needed plastic surgery to repair the bastards and i ill be ridin till the day i die which could very well be soon lol

Pitto

Likes Dirt
if your calling over 30 old, im in by a couple of years.

been riding a few years now with some brissy crew of similar age and ability. and i cant imagine not getting out and riding.