Age is no boundary!

scblack

Leucocholic
I'm 35 and haven't ridden since 2005 when I troweled my bike and myself at Thredbo.
Ah get back on the bike. :cool:

I axed myself (5-10mins unconscious) big time the week before the 2005 National at Lithgow when I messed up the Generation Gap.

Crashes and injuries happen, get on with it.

ozelise

Likes Dirt
47, and ride with a diverse group - from 16-50. Mention the word geriatric and it's just an incentive for me to kick your ass (even more than usual).

madflap

Likes Dirt
all downhill after 40

39 and loving downhill, I ride with a group in Cairns and if you look at the stories page on www.cairnsmtb.com you will see just how much fun DH in Cairns is. Presumably the same everywhere. We have a strong vet and master class and some quite quick oldies. We do more runs than some of the young guys.

Cooch

Likes Dirt
:p Great post

I'm one of Smokedham's crew - recently turned 36 and still riding strong! Started riding seriously with my first roadie when I was 13, unfortunately giving up bmx [wish I stuck with it].

When you say people just don't get it, they sure don't!! Try and tell people you've been riding for 23 years. Most of that time was road racing and triathlon (up until 26), so only dirt and mtb for the past 10 years.

I love it soooooo much! I must spend the equivalent on bike bits each year that Paris Hilton spends on G-strings, cocktail dresses and handbags! :D But at least it's not booze, smokes and drugs!!

How's this - just recently Smokedham and Yertle (36 year olg "girl") got me seriously into dirt jumping. I'm so hooked! So hooked in fact, that I had to get a DJ bike! Yee ha!

Love the life!!

Jewels

Cannon Fodder
:p Great post

I'm one of Smokedham's crew - recently turned 36 and still riding strong! Started riding seriously with my first roadie when I was 13, unfortunately giving up bmx [wish I stuck with it].

When you say people just don't get it, they sure don't!! Try and tell people you've been riding for 23 years. Most of that time was road racing and triathlon (up until 26), so only dirt and mtb for the past 10 years.

I love it soooooo much! I must spend the equivalent on bike bits each year that Paris Hilton spends on G-strings, cocktail dresses and handbags! :D But at least it's not booze, smokes and drugs!!

How's this - just recently Smokedham and Yertle (36 year olg "girl") got me seriously into dirt jumping. I'm so hooked! So hooked in fact, that I had to get a DJ bike! Yee ha!

Love the life!!

Hahaha

well Im Yertle the 36 year old girl :rolleyes:(actually Im only 35 Cooch!!!) and I am stoked to be cruisin with the likes of Cooch (who is rockin those rollers those days) and Mr Smoked Ham himself!!!

And to top it all off I am normally trying my bloody hardest to keep up with the aptly named QUICKSILVER who just happens to be my DAD! :confused:

Not a bad little posy!!!

Age is nothing

Just ride

panda1971

Banned
hey smokedham, 36 living in brissy, ride single track and xc, looking to get into dirt jump and dh again just joined the facebook site too

Cippa

Likes Dirt
Female 15yrs old from Melbourne here! love mixing it with the boys even though it takes me a long time to try new things, the boys just DO IT and i think it over in my mind 100 times before i dare to! Good sport just to chill with mates even if you go along and sit back and watch the action!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
29 and I'm wondering where the hell my twenties went to. Can't quite compare with my Grandad who's 70 and has just recently traded in his old full-susser for one of those 20" fold-up bikes.

dirtdigler2

Likes Bikes
age no barrier

The best rider out of our group is 52 he comes from a MX background so is skilled up , he out climbs and out hucks all of us he is amazing , on a tight single track we cannot catch him , four kids under the belt and untill this year he was pretty much fearless untill he had a full knee recon. after blowing his A.C. on a jump I still won't do .
That has slowed him about 5-10% he is an inspiration and I think he will be out riding us for decades to come , his dad still rides at 80 !! builds his own bikes and can mono for over a kilometer. Is it genetic or is it coming from a generation that did stuff outside all day untill dark instead of the X-BOX TV generation of today, which ever the reason I am always following behind on the trail only to find him already at the rest stop waiting with a "what took you so long grin on his face"
BUGGER!!

Cooch

Likes Dirt
The best rider out of our group is 52 he comes from a MX background so is skilled up , he out climbs and out hucks all of us he is amazing , on a tight single track we cannot catch him , four kids under the belt and untill this year he was pretty much fearless untill he had a full knee recon. after blowing his A.C. on a jump I still won't do .
That has slowed him about 5-10% he is an inspiration and I think he will be out riding us for decades to come , his dad still rides at 80 !! builds his own bikes and can mono for over a kilometer. Is it genetic or is it coming from a generation that did stuff outside all day untill dark instead of the X-BOX TV generation of today, which ever the reason I am always following behind on the trail only to find him already at the rest stop waiting with a "what took you so long grin on his face"
BUGGER!!
That's an awesome tale! Does this guy have a "trail name"?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Old Farts annonymus,with some lost girl from the girl power group next door thrown in.

spongebob

Likes Dirt
"Someone told me it's all downhill from 40 - I said HOORAY no more uphill" - have just got this running , will be under construction for a while- heaps of photos/video/general BS to go up
www.downhill40.com

Cooch

Likes Dirt
"Someone told me it's all downhill from 40 - I said HOORAY no more uphill" - have just got this running , will be under construction for a while- heaps of photos/video/general BS to go up
www.downhill40.com

Awesome website man! I especially like the bit about: pissed off mtb's weren't invented in the 70's! ha ha ha

Also liked this pic!

chadly1084

Likes Bikes
An older guy actually got me into mountain biking, he's about 50 (but doesn't like to tell everyone his age) and just lives for it. He organises many rides i go on and has has brought many people together of different ages so now there is a small family of people we ride with. He and another guy have taken the time to show me many different tracks to ride and how to ride them which i am grateful for. He's not the fastest down (only cause he doesn't like to pedal on the flat sections) but he can handle anything a downhill track will throw at him.

Older Guys rock so don't knock em.

Vinelink

Likes Dirt
Yeap, yet another old guy here, good to see a few older guys stating their views on Farkin, nice website, and how true, MTB bikes like now were not around in the 70's, good call.

We have approx 5 guys 40+ in our group, every weekend we get out into either Nerang, Daisy Hill, or the Gap, then every 2nd weekend we take our sons, usually aorund 8-9 yrs olds.

We are riding some nice bikes, Norco Atomik, Santa Cruz Heckler, Ironhorse Sachem 6 and a 6 point 4 just to name a few, then the kids are on Giants M150 hardtails with front shocks.

All padded up, but shit we have fun, kids too. Will post some photos soon.

Anyone up for a ride, usually Saturday around 7.00am start @ Daisy Hill cnr Ford and Avalon rd start end.