Air can volume spacers

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just after some experienced tinkers advice with volume spacer air can`s . Id assume that placing spacers in all air shocks/ cans would have the same effect . So by adding spacers , Does the shock becomes more progressive and less linear ? , dose the mid stroke improve ? , or is there just more HSC ? . Anyway anyone thats spaced out an air can Id love to hear form you .

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Short answer is that the reduced air volume in the can as a result of the spacer means,
1: the opening stroke can be more supple, because you can run lower pressures without bottoming out.
2: the mid stroke is more supportive as it's more progressive.
3: you bottom out less as it ramps up towards the end of the stroke / travel.

I don't think you can drastically reduce the air pressure but it should sit up higher in its mid stroke which makes pedalling more efficient. YMMV. :^)

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok , Im running the new Fox float X 2 . Its great , really plush no hash bottom out and i have the thing tuned well , but , I would like the mid stroke to be a little firmer .

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I found more support mid stroke when i added the bands on my monarch, but it took me awhile (4 hrs sessioning the same trail) to settle on the number of bands (4)and the psi. The bike is much more responsive for it, i still use full travel (big hits though) but nowhere near as much as before.

There is a balance though, too many bands and it felt like crap haha, it was nore akin to a pogo stick than a bike.

Get testing and find your balance mate