air pressures in fox ctd rear shock and fork evolution series

redline316

Likes Dirt
Fox recommend double your body weight in the rear and body weight in the front im 86kg which means rear 170 psi front 85 psi when i do this im not using nowhere near all the travel front or rear and sag is about 10%.To get sag at about 20% to 25% in need to run 150 psi rear an 70 psi front i ran these pressures today on a light ride with the wife and kids and thought it felt ok at the recommended pressures fox say to run i thought the bike rode way to firm could there be an issue with the shock or fork or should i run it with the lower pressures that feel ok because the recommended pressures are just a guide thanks in advanced. The suspension is only 5 weeks old.

ChopSticks

Banned
as you said... the guide is only a guide.

set sag with whatever pressure is necessary. its not like the pressures at double whats recommended so you'll be fine. ride abit and let the seal bed in and monitor sag

teK--

Eats Squid
Forget sag %

Set pressures at whatever gives you the desired front/rear chassis balance and firmness/support you need for your style of riding.

Liberty555

Likes Bikes
For what it's worth I have the same fork and shock. With gear I'm about 92kg. I run 80 in the fork and 160 in the shock and get about 20% sag.

But... I have a 5cc spacer in the shock and put an extra 7cc of Float Fluid (12cc total) in the air chamber of the fork. That way I get the mid range control without bottoming out the shock on bigger hits. Makes a big improvement I find.

It took a year to get it how I like it...

Fraggler

Likes Bikes
Forget sag %

Set pressures at whatever gives you the desired front/rear chassis balance and firmness/support you need for your style of riding.
Yeah this is what I did for my Trance SX. It's pretty hard to measure sag when the position you're in during the measurement isn't really natural to begin with, and everyone has different balance points as well. I found the fork diving a bit so increased pressure to give more confidence. No idea what my sag is. The fork doesn't provide a full 160mm travel anyway so measurements were never going to be perfect.

onlock

Likes Bikes
Im the same weight but found using the recommended pressures pretty horrible. Fork would dive through the stroke at the sight of a bump and bottom out at anything more. Iv chosen to forget about sag % and run 130psi in the front and 150 in the rear with some rebound adjustments to suits the trails im riding at the time

teK--

Eats Squid
Yeah this is what I did for my Trance SX. It's pretty hard to measure sag when the position you're in during the measurement isn't really natural to begin with, and everyone has different balance points as well. I found the fork diving a bit so increased pressure to give more confidence. No idea what my sag is. The fork doesn't provide a full 160mm travel anyway so measurements were never going to be perfect.
I've found measuring front sag to be pretty much impossible to get consistent readings.