Aireal chainguide vs. mrp system 1/2

Aireal DS Chainguide vs MRP system 1

• Total voters

tu plang

knob
sorry to be a bum and start the millionth thread on chain devices, aireal in particular :oops: but there was nothin that i found helpful for my decision. i was looking for some opinions. if i could get an mrp system 1 for a lil more then an aireal would it be worth it? im looking into a chain guide after a series of events that followed losing the chain and ended in a busted
r/deraileur and hanger (dont ask, cos i dont know :shock: )
so aireal vs mrp system 1
i would like to support the local industry as lupine said, but mrps seem a very popular choice.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Only 2 things I personally don't like about aireal. No iscg atm and the hard roller which is noisy! The advantages of he aireal though I find is that in the circumstance that your chain does come off(which it shouldn't but...) i is a more open design so it is alot easier to put he chain back on. With MRP if it comes off you are quiet often in a spot of bother cause i will be stuck between the plates and he chainring. Neither should happen but chainguides ain't indestructable like every other component on your bike so bolts etc will break. Both perform equally well imho, just comes down to personal choice.

S.

ex offender
Re: mrp

mongoose said:
Mrp - no others even come close IMO
No offence, but obviously you haven't tried all of em then... Evils are at least as good (plus the lexan bashuard, no bendage there). The Aireals are damn good guides, if they're set up right (which is VERY quick and easy to do) you can't go wrong.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm using an aireal and it's been rock solid since i got it.
it's been on 3 bikes, and worked perfectly on all of them.
problems...
the mounting plate is very thick and strong (so it doesn't ever bend or get wrecked) and this can throw the chain line off on some bikes a little.
for some dual frames, you'll need a dremel and a drill to fit it properly (but no more so than other designs).
the roller can be a little noisy, especialy if you can't get a perfect chain line, but can easily be fixed with a handfull of "o"rings.
all in all an excellent guide, and aireal give first class service for any after sales problems. if you get an aireal, you won't be disapointed.
oh, and i know some people will dissagree, but don't be talked into an MRP, original or copy, just for wank factor. look and see which desgn you prefer, and decide from there.

tu plang

knob
thanks guys, i am really liking the look of the aireal there is a serious amount of metal in the roller arm particularly :D
and its australian so u know if it screws up theres some1 u can talk to who is on the same continent.

pieno

Likes Dirt
I got an MRP guide and its really good. Chain has never come off and I dont think it ever will

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
I've had an aireal and it shits me bad!!! i would never buy another aireal product again...
Mine derails, makes sketchy sounds, and is a PITA to adjust...

I'm replacing mine with an evil 10mm+ bashring
!!!!!

Wogga

Likes Dirt
chain guide

i have a aireal industries chain guide and nothing has gone wrong with it at all, it has worked perfictly on every run

Tomac Boy

Mountain Bikes Direct
Mrps are a flawless design, and if setup correctly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose a chain. They can bend if you smash it into hard objects, but it is a world cup quality race guide, not a 10kg bash plate.

Aireals and Blackspire are very well made, and are super stong. They will work well, and i think we all should support aireal, however i don't like the little design flaw that they have. They don't have any plate or guide on the lower inside part of the guide, this makes chain derailment possible in some (may not affect all - due to chainlines and linkage type) situations.

Evil i do not have any experiance with, but i have alot of confidence in the company and know their products will perform very well. These guides are the ONLY choice if you ever get the hankering to grind rails like Chase....

My two cents...

Jordy

RYD4LF
1stly... i have not actually used either of these chain guides except for some carpark rides

MRP are the smoothest chainguide ive ever seen and ive never seen a derailment around the OZ series and NSW series... they also look sweet

Aireal on the other hand.... there noisy, sure they look strong but my mate who is on the aireal/liquid team was riding at ourimbah and hit a tree only as round as an average wrist and he bent the bashring,spindle from his liquid cranks and the chainguide !!his chain de-rails very often and has cost him a few races...sure it would be keeping money in this country if you pay aireal the money but then they need to pay the people that work in tawain to build liquid frames so it isn't really keeping it in this country for long

Also there may be a new aireal guide coming out made to fit there new DH bike (normal one didn't fit)

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well i ahve an airel guide, i lost my bottom roller and still dont have a new 1, the chains nver come of soi cant complain about it at all.
Daver i think u might need to have a look at th setup of ur guide. :?

S.

ex offender
Tomac Boy said:
Mrps are a flawless design, and if setup correctly, it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose a chain. They can bend if you smash it into hard objects, but it is a world cup quality race guide, not a 10kg bash plate.

Aireals and Blackspire are very well made, and are super stong. They will work well, and i think we all should support aireal, however i don't like the little design flaw that they have. They don't have any plate or guide on the lower inside part of the guide, this makes chain derailment possible in some (may not affect all - due to chainlines and linkage type) situations.

Evil i do not have any experiance with, but i have alot of confidence in the company and know their products will perform very well. These guides are the ONLY choice if you ever get the hankering to grind rails like Chase....

My two cents...
Actually, if Aireals are set up properly (rotated forward far enough) and you're using the right one for your ring size, it's also impossible to lose a chain. The only way they can drop the chain is if you're using a ring that is too small for the guide, which allows slack between the roller and the chainring (or they're not set up properly, which most people don't seem to realise means rotating it forwards a fair way). I've had mine for over a year now, dropped the chain about 5 times in total, EACH TIME was my fault because I had the inner plate set too far from the chainring.

2fast4u: Dude, if someone bends the ENTIRE chainguide and a cromo spider, do you really think that means the chainguide is weak? No, it means that whatever hit it, hit it pretty bloody hard and/or at a weird angle... anything that's hitting hard enough to do all that, would have done it to pretty much any guide.

bazza

look at me
i wouldnt expect a chaing guide to do that though, only problem i have with the aerials apart from it performing awesomley are the god damn grub screws!!! i hate them, they are soo easy to strip! but then again almost all grub screws are! and dont give me use the right allen key stuff, they still bend and warp and crack and in between runs when somethings happened to it and your trying to fix it it can also be a bit hectic trying to fix it!

neko

Likes Dirt
MRP's cost nearly twice as much as an Aerial. Plus the Aerial is Australian made. There shouldn't be any choice!

If the roller is too noisy, get an MRP roller. Then you get the best of both worlds.

S.

ex offender
bazza said:
i wouldnt expect a chaing guide to do that though, only problem i have with the aerials apart from it performing awesomley are the god damn grub screws!!! i hate them, they are soo easy to strip! but then again almost all grub screws are! and dont give me use the right allen key stuff, they still bend and warp and crack and in between runs when somethings happened to it and your trying to fix it it can also be a bit hectic trying to fix it!
They should be done up snugly, not tight.. they hold next to no load. If you're stripping them out, something's wrong.

ahahahaa "don't give me the use the right allen key stuff", well what ARE you using then? ;)

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Aireal guides really do not compare to MRPs, but value wise i'd run an Aireal.... When the e-13s arrive they will rule...

Ty

Eats Squid
Daver said:
Aireal guides really do not compare to MRPs, but value wise i'd run an Aireal.... When the e-13s arrive they will rule...
e.thirteens are here dude, i've had mine for like 6 months, norco australia brought in about 10 of each model, my LBS still has a SRS in it's display case.