Aireal hubs anyone know much about them?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
So I was on eBay last night (after a couple of drinks) and bought some Aireal hubs knowing nothing about them (you should have to take a breathalyzer before biding on eBay). I have had a quick Google and not found much so I thought I would ask the brains trust pics below.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Solid, well made reliable Aussie built hubs.

Looks like they're the most recent build, which is good. They went through a change of owners, I think early 2000s and some changes were made to known issues in the rear hubs.

The fronts are pretty straight forward, a mate is still running one of my old ones, which was the original company.

My nephew is still running one of the newer rear hubs right now and haven't had any issues with it at all in over 10 years of use. Easy to service and they've had one change of bearings (standard bearings) in that time and still rolling strong and smooth to this day.

You might have some issues getting spare parts, but hopefully you won't need them for many years!

From memory the company that last made them is still going, but just not making them for sale any longer. They were based in New South Wales somewhere and find memory called Macquarie Engineering or something similar. Mick and Robbie, I think, possibly father and daughter were running the place.

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Flash backs

Well if you can get the internals to work they should be a solid hub. Depending on which version they are I was the anodiser of these back in the mid 2000's, which took place in Queanbeyan.

Should be able to get them up and running if you can spec the bearings and either machine up an internal component or source some but that could prove difficult to come by.

Good luck.

John U

MTB Precision
So I was on eBay last night (after a couple of drinks) and bought some Aireal hubs knowing nothing about them (you should have to take a breathalyzer before biding on eBay). I have had a quick Google and not found much so I thought I would ask the brains trust pics below.

Looks like hub shells only. You'll need a few more bits and pieces before you can use them. Australian made goodness though. Good luck with the hunt for parts.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Looks like hub shells only. You'll need a few more bits and pieces before you can use them. Australian made goodness though. Good luck with the hunt for parts.
Yeah I figured for $12 it was worth it to try and get them going. Once I get them I want to measure them up to see if other brand internals may work. I've never worked on hubs so looking forward to some learning

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Yeah I figured for $12 it was worth it to try and get them going. Once I get them I want to measure them up to see if other brand internals may work. I've never worked on hubs so looking forward to some learning

I thought you were talking about complete hubs! I'd be calling Mick on the card above for sure! He did supply me a few bits and pieces after they stopped making them, do you could get luck there. If not he was very helpful, so I'm sure he'd give you some advice.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I've got a whole used front hub assembly minus the shell that you are welcome to. It's for 20mm.
I'm located in Brisbane. Swing me a pm if you're interested.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I've got a whole used front hub assembly minus the shell that you are welcome to. It's for 20mm.
I'm located in Brisbane. Swing me a pm if you're interested.
That would be awesome thanks I've send you a message

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Going to give macquary engerneering a call today and see if they have any spares for the hubs. Thanks for the 20mm internals Frenchman they got here yesterday. Unfortunately it looks like they are a different model to yours as none of the parts quite fit. Will keep the thread updated

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Wkkie it looks like the pic you posted with their contact info my have changed would you be able to send me the mobile number of the business card?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I’ve been meaning to post some photos of my FUBAR Aireal hub for a while now:

Aside from the well known end cap explosion, check out the stretched spoke holes & total destruction of the hub shell itself.

Yes, an early model. But it’s obvious that the alloy they used was crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Ahh that looks exactly like the shells I have maybe not worth building up, they might make nice decorations for the Christmas tree though, soooo shiny and gold