Aldi 29er

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably a lost cause :(
But if you want to keep it going I have had a good run out of a very cheap Shimano MT400 rear rim/hub. About $100 give or take from the LBS.
I wouldn't bother with the fork.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Awesome thanks guys. I would have totally overlooked the depth part of the headtube! I'll change the wheels and service forks. He'll grow 2in in no time anyway and I can bodge it into a pub bike.

damo666

Likes Dirt
So dragging this thread up again, I recently bought one of these to use as an......err.....commuter (OK, it’s an ebike!!).

Very impressed for the price, it has a nice long top tube, good drivetrain & brakes,and feels much better to ride than many others that are twice the price. I’ll certainly be recommending them to anyone looking for a starter bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calvin27

Eats Squid
So dragging this thread up again, I recently bought one of these to use as an......err.....commuter (OK, it’s an ebike!!).
I am surprised I haven't seen more aldi ebike conversions. I would have one too if I managed to get my hands on a bike!

ausdb

Being who he is
I have looked at this, and a tapered fork can’t be fitted. The head set cups in the frame are too shallow by about 5mm to fit the lower race required for a tapered fork in a straight head tube. I was gutted as my son was so keen to upgrade the fork.
Cane Creek sell a headset specially designed for tapered forks in straight head tubes. However it needs a depth of 15mm in the lower race to fit correctly the Aldi head tube only has a depth of 10mm which all a standard lower race.
Thread dig time!
I'm thinking about putting s better fork on my wife's Aldi special. I've found a Brand X headset at CRC that looks like the lower cup has a shorter insertion depth. I'm waiting for an answer to a question to confirm it.
There's also a few on Aliexpress that look similar. I know the CC and Nukeproofs have the longer insertion for stability but I was thinking of using s bit of retaining compound if I get one and give it a go.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thread dig time!
I'm thinking about putting s better fork on my wife's Aldi special. I've found a Brand X headset at CRC that looks like the lower cup has a shorter insertion depth. I'm waiting for an answer to a question to confirm it.
There's also a few on Aliexpress that look similar. I know the CC and Nukeproofs have the longer insertion for stability but I was thinking of using s bit of retaining compound if I get one and give it a go.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32807233858.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dfjIFU8

ausdb

Being who he is
I was at Aldi today and the kids grabbed a "magazine" to read, first thing they say is hey dad it's got mountain bikes in it! The 2021 version of the 29er is out again on the 6th November. Covid has even hit Aldi, it's gone back to 9 speed (unspecified) from Deore 10 last year and mechanical brakes not hydros but only $20 more than last year. It's still probably made by polygon but they've got their own website this year.

ausdb

Being who he is
I'll link to this in the fuckwits as that is where it really belongs but thought I should also post here for continuity. The ZTTO headset arrived before Christmas and I finally decided to have a go at putting these on the wifes Aldi special.

Probably should have taken more notice of the flared out ends of the headtube and the taper on the steerer and heeded someones previous advice. As Oh dear thats not going to work...... :rolleyes: To make matters worse the integrated headset was full of loose bearings and I'm not sure if I dropped any in the dark. Oh well at least one of the bearings from the new headset should work when I put it together for the time being.

So now I need to think of a plan B or C all of which are dependent on finding someone with a decent bearing press I can use.

Plan B Chuck up a WTB for a Fox 32 straight steerer CSU with munted stanchions that I cancannibalise for crown and steerer.
Or
Plan C I hate throwing sh!t out and had this lying in the shed from some old forks a mate gave me.;)

They were a clamped steerer so the steerer came out pretty easily, now to find a chunk of aluminium and machine up a reducer like the ND tuned one.

Off to the fwits for the next update .

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Headtube is definitely integrated, not 44mm press-in cups?

Edit: Oh, it's probably 34mm in which case, yes, only 1-1/8.

Last edited: