Aldi 29er

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Reading the amb review it’s sounds like the medium is on the small side.. Trying to justify one for the wife who is 158cm..
Probably fine for someone 158, just drop the stem below the spacers so the front doesn't drift around. Seat height will be no worries. If your wife wants to rip trails then it might be a little long. Maybe.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably fine for someone 158, just drop the stem below the spacers so the front doesn't drift around. Seat height will be no worries. If your wife wants to rip trails then it might be a little long. Maybe.
Cheers, the oldest boy is keen on it as well and he is just short of 170cm so someone will ride it.

From the pics can we tell whether it’s a straight steerer fork?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Square taper cranks would stop me recommending it to anyone. I lived through that era and never again.
That and the quick release wheels stopped me. But for its intended audience it would be great.

It’s on sale next Saturday btw.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
i love square taper, never a squeaky bb in sight, bb lasts 30,000km;s
That's the old BB, good old fashioned bearings you could clean and relube. Seriously was a downgrade changing to the 300 new standards.
Square tapered cranks never gave me more than a year before they would start to chew out.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Picked up one this morning. In my numpty opinion, I'm pretty happy. The finish in mat black looks great, and the welds look better than the photos. I'll make this my street bike, and swap the tyres over to something more suitable.
Write up a review :)

RangaWal

Likes Bikes
Write up a review :)
I could, I'm just a newb to the MTB world!
As far as I can tell, it works fine after a 26km ride today on bitumen/concrete. I did notice a vibration type feel at high speeds in top gear (for me, ~35-40 km/h I'd say) in the crank, not sure if it's bearings, but when I slowed down the feeling disappeared.

The front suspension locks out well, and I didn't feel a great need to adjust it, so will leave it as is for now. The brakes might need adjusting, particularly the front. Nowhere near as touchy as my Giant Trance. Perhaps the Trance needs adjusting?

All in all, quite happy with it, and much more efficient riding a hardtail on the hard stuff the a dual suspension job. Just need to work out which tyres to swap to. Thinking of something in the Schwalbe Marathon range. I understand the 29er is the same as 700C, but need to work out what width I can use.

Has anyone modified the Aldi 29er in anyway? I’ve got one sitting in the shed and I’m keen to see what you’ve done!

tobbogonist

a registered member
Man I hope they have those little tool kits again, I learnt how bikes work with the last one. Turned me into the sharehouse bike mechanic until someone stole it.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Well this bike has done the young fella pretty well, but he's starting to do jumps / ride a lot harder so I'm looking at new wheels and fork as they are getting smashed. For what it's worth the wheels have held true, but the cheap hubs are not loving the abuse, and as you can imagine the cheap Suntour forks are not loving it.

Looking at the headtube it looks like press fit but I'm really not sure how I can tell (it looks like there is an insert top and bottom of the headtube). Ideally I'd like a tapered fork in there (for options) and whilst the headtube is wider at the base (52mm outside diameter) than the headtube on my cross bike it's not as wide as the the two more modern MTB's in the stable over 57mm at the base, again outside diameter. What am I going to need to do to find out?

Once I figure that out it'll be new wheels time. Obviously the rear wheel will be QR, but I'm assuming if I can get a better fork I can put a thru axle in there?

Anyone had a crack at this or can point me in the right direction. I can service forks/shocks/drivetrain etc but never had an opportunity to mess with a headset for some reason.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Well this bike has done the young fella pretty well, but he's starting to do jumps / ride a lot harder so I'm looking at new wheels and fork as they are getting smashed. For what it's worth the wheels have held true, but the cheap hubs are not loving the abuse, and as you can imagine the cheap Suntour forks are not loving it.

Looking at the headtube it looks like press fit but I'm really not sure how I can tell (it looks like there is an insert top and bottom of the headtube). Ideally I'd like a tapered fork in there (for options) and whilst the headtube is wider at the base (52mm outside diameter) than the headtube on my cross bike it's not as wide as the the two more modern MTB's in the stable over 57mm at the base, again outside diameter. What am I going to need to do to find out?

Once I figure that out it'll be new wheels time. Obviously the rear wheel will be QR, but I'm assuming if I can get a better fork I can put a thru axle in there?

Anyone had a crack at this or can point me in the right direction. I can service forks/shocks/drivetrain etc but never had an opportunity to mess with a headset for some reason.
the easy answer is... new bike time.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt

I have looked at this, and a tapered fork can’t be fitted. The head set cups in the frame are too shallow by about 5mm to fit the lower race required for a tapered fork in a straight head tube. I was gutted as my son was so keen to upgrade the fork.
Cane Creek sell a headset specially designed for tapered forks in straight head tubes. However it needs a depth of 15mm in the lower race to fit correctly the Aldi head tube only has a depth of 10mm which all a standard lower race.