ALDI - 36pc Bike Tool Kit (Im not even joking)

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
Ok so ALDI (the shopping centre that makes u feel like ur back in Germany) has a 36pc Bike Tool Kit coming out this thurs 7th October and is selling for $50. I was just seein if you guys think its good value for money as I am considering getting some tools to enhance my current arsenal consisting of a mere 15m wrench and 10 hexies :eek: so Im looking for a modest tool kit for my road and mtb riding needs.

W40_crane_bike_tools_PD_pgs1-723.jpg

Kit Includes:

* 1 x freewheel remover
* 1 x chain rivet extractor
* 1 x headset spanner
* 2 x wrenches (30/32mm and 36/40mm)
* 1 x multi-size spoke wrench
* 1 x chain whip
* 1 x tyre pressure strap
* 2 x cone wrenches (13 x 15mm and 14 x 16mm)
* 1 x open-end wrench (8/10mm)
* 3 x socket wrenches (8/9/10mm)
* 1 x cross head screwdriver
* 1 x flat head screwdriver
* 1 x crank arm remover
* 6 x hexagonal wrenches (2/2.5/3/4/5/6mm)
* 1 x hexagonal wrench (8mm)
* 1 x Tyre lever
* 3 x Adjustable wrench
* 1 x adjustable lock ring spanner
* 2 x pedal wrench (15 x 16mm and 15 x 17mm)
* 2 x patch kit including: glue, grinder, valve and rubber

Check out the link here: http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_15490.htm

One thing is for sure, I'll be lining up 1st thing thurs morn with all the grannies outside ALDI at 8am to get my $17 cycling jersey!! GO TEAM ALDI ahah (Im so lame - gotta h8 being a tight arse).

So what ya reckon? 50 bucks spent wisely or should I spend a tad more and get something else?

Last edited:

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Going to my local aldi tomorrow
I need new tools for my shed/bedroom

and one for my car

thats farking perfect
Great find.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cheap tools

cheap tools are usually not worth any money,

Do you have external BB? no tool for that and old style crank puller (in kit)will be of no use.
Buy a few bits as you need them.

Start with a phillips s/driver and a GOOD set of allen keys ,those in the kit will be like plastic and may also ruin the heads on your bolts too, making parts imposible to remove.
cassette worn out? buy a chain whip & locknut tool, etc.

take your time to work out what you need and even try cashies for some used non bike specific stuff (good brands will last a lifetime).

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Some of those tools like like identical copies of the 'Super B'-brand ones. I'd say that's a good find but things like the crank removal tool and the adjustable wrench don't last long I'm afraid.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
Oh is it? Yeah fair call I guess.

But for $50, thats not bad! And I didnt say anything about actually using the tools (did I?), its just for the street cred baby!! jokes:D (or garage cred)

I remember a while back Wiggle stocked a full LifeLine (their cheapo brand) Bike Tool Kit much like this one, but it was for around $70. It had good reviews and seemed to include all the necessary items. A lot of tools are priced at $50 for a single piece, so to get a kit (however dodge it may be) isnt too bad for this price.

Just think of it this way, if all the tools snap in half and break, you still have a $50 tool box!!! <--- bargain

But seriosuly steve, you're right - i may go in and check it out properly before handing over my cash too easily.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
The problem with cheap tools is that you will damage whatever you're trying to tighten-loosen and then be left in big trouble when thing sdon't work out. Better off buying quality fist off. For example I recently had to remove a bottom bracket. A decent tool would have had it off without any cursing. As it was, I ended up damaging the BB and resorted to a stilson and a not too pretty BB. Alas now need to buy a new BB..... As the old adage goes - -"what you pay for is what you get".....

smokeybear

Likes Bikes
I'd give it a go, all the tools I've bought from Aldi have stood the test of time.

If one item dies replace it with an expensive one.

T-Rex

Template denier
That's not bad for the money, but I have seen similar kits for the same sort of $$ on Torpedo7 and Ebay, so it's not really a revelation. The good thing about these kits is you get a lot of the tools you need for a low price, and you just replace the frequently used ones with quality items as and when required. I wish I had brought a kit when I started out, instead of buying tools individually. I spent heaps more than I needed to, and still don't own a set of cone spanners.

As an alternative to the Aldi kit, check this one out on Ebay. Twice the price, but a heaps better kit - ball ended allen keys, separate spoke keys, chain wear guage, separate cone spanners, proper chain whip and cassette tool, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Complete-BIK...ccessories&hash=item255dcb0e7c#ht_9045wt_1139

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You do get what you pay for, but having been privvy to some of the bike stuff that goes into aldi, the chances are some of this may just be ok.
Good starting kit, don't work too hard on it and replace the vital pieces as the need arises.
I'm going to go inspect on the 7th.
Thanks for the thread.

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As mentioned this seems to be exactly the same as the 36pc Super B kit :

I have the Super B kit, bought ages ago. Some of the tools are great (Pedal remover, little wrench and spoke key are still in my tool kit), the rest are pretty terrible, chain removal tool broke very quickly, cotterless crank tool broke, allen keys rounded...

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"Yeah lets go spend thousands of $$$ on a good bike then buy cheap tools to fix it."

Seriously man expensive tools are expensive for a reason, they're good quality.
If you spend the coin on good gear and look after them you'll wear out before they do, it's just like a decent bike if you look after it it'll last.

frensham

Likes Dirt
a good start

I purchased a kit just like this quite a few years ago. I still have and use many of the tools. For example, the pedal spanner, the chain whip, the chain breaker, the sockets, the head set spanners (for older bikes) and the crank removal tool. I could go on. The kit is worth it for the old fashioned headset spanners alone - if you have a need for them. As has been said before - as the regularly used tools wear out, replace them with Park or Pedros tools.

Rider_of_Fast

Likes Bikes
^ Haha @ birth control underwear - you should contact the Crane Sports marketing team as this sort of publicity could do wonders for not only their sales but also for diversifying their marketshare - watch out Ansell, here comes Aldi's nut busting jocks.

Shesh, having just read through the thread entirely again, opinons seem pretty divided.

I was initially of the opinion that - a tool's a tool and not much else - ie. they're all the same with some being more expensive due to brand name. Clearly not, as companies seem to have found ways of skimping out on quality here too.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Had very mixed results with aldi tools. Bought a $9 angle grinder, which had as much longevity as a disposable razor. Their drill press is sweet, works really nicely at significantly lower cost than opposition. Table saw was good apart from one part of the guide which sucked, still we managed to cut skirting boards for the entire house on it so it worked rather well. Metal cut off saw is great for coarse work, but for exact cuts is a bit variable. So aldi isn't quite get what you pay for, more like buying a lottery ticket-some stuff works beautifully, other stuff is terrible. Although I would avoid those bike shorts if I were you, I can't see a way for it to end well.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i splurged on the parktoo ak37 kit. was a bit under 400au deliverd i think. broke the little screw driver and got it replaced free. everything else is tip top. better to buy good qual bits as you need em.