Aldi bike stuff

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the reply - I figured it was to good to be true and that price was reflective of quality.

Its nice to know they are effective and efficent if you have the discipline to use them properly. I have 3 young children and besides the whole 'winter complaint' I am struggling to time manage over about 5 hours riding time a week. So I figure I can maximise these hours by doing some (3) high intensity sessions on a trainer (I have gone sourced some sufferfest videos) and with a longer ride on the trails once a week. I have been looking at the jet black fluid Z1 and a few others around the $300 mark. I have been told today that there is a Japenese brand that starts with M (minatiou I think) that make some pretty good basic ones, if I want to test the concept out before I commit. So I have some google research to do....

I only own one roadie and want the ability to not have a spare wheel or change a tyre, will I really need a specific trainer tyre?
I have a rim drive trainer and it is the good without costing $600+. Also zero tire wear and much much less noise. But jeessuuss it is boring! When I was a roadie the max I could do was about 1:30hrs and that is whilst watching a DVD or TV. A mate used to do 4+ hours in his bathroom with the heater light on to get ready for the Hawaiian Ironman.
What is your intention with the trainer? To get fitter and/or do intervals? If so then I would invest in a good one.
If your intention is to spend time on your bike, don't bother and just be happy with your 5 hours a week which is still quite a bit! I used mine when it was wet or cold just to ride, and that lasted for about a month before the mind numbing boringness of it gave me the perfect excuse not to use it anymore. If you want to get stronger, investing in some weights might be a better idea.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Thanks for the reply - I figured it was to good to be true and that price was reflective of quality.

Its nice to know they are effective and efficent if you have the discipline to use them properly. I have 3 young children and besides the whole 'winter complaint' I am struggling to time manage over about 5 hours riding time a week. So I figure I can maximise these hours by doing some (3) high intensity sessions on a trainer (I have gone sourced some sufferfest videos) and with a longer ride on the trails once a week. I have been looking at the jet black fluid Z1 and a few others around the $300 mark. I have been told today that there is a Japenese brand that starts with M (minatiou I think) that make some pretty good basic ones, if I want to test the concept out before I commit. So I have some google research to do....

I only own one roadie and want the ability to not have a spare wheel or change a tyre, will I really need a specific trainer tyre?
Minoura is the brand you are thinking of.
I had a minoura rim drive about 12 years ago and it was utter shite. It wasn't the rim drive as such, but the minoura resistance unit was really inconsistent. They may well have improved over the years though.
I now have a Blackburn magnetic unit, big, heavy and utterly reliable.
You certainly don't need a spare wheel or tyre, just a solidly constructed training tyre, and be prepared to change it a bit more often.
The kurt Kinetics are definitely top dogs at the moment, but you don't need the fancy one that moves with the bike (Rock and Roll?)

And if you get a bike computer with a rear wheel magnetic you can do some reasonable accurate power-based training.
Happy to help you with some workouts when you get sorted.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Minoura is the brand you are thinking of.
I had a minoura rim drive about 12 years ago and it was utter shite. It wasn't the rim drive as such, but the minoura resistance unit was really inconsistent. They may well have improved over the years though.
I now have a Blackburn magnetic unit, big, heavy and utterly reliable.
You certainly don't need a spare wheel or tyre, just a solidly constructed training tyre, and be prepared to change it a bit more often.
The kurt Kinetics are definitely top dogs at the moment, but you don't need the fancy one that moves with the bike (Rock and Roll?)

And if you get a bike computer with a rear wheel magnetic you can do some reasonable accurate power-based training.
Happy to help you with some workouts when you get sorted.
That's it. Mine is old, but not 12 years old. I like it because it doesn't stuff my tire up. Haven't tried my MTB on it though.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Thule rack but it doesn't fit my bike nicely.

This will I think because it just has one arm for hanging the bike off.

She'll be right as long as I don't put any degreaser on the bike!

eh for $40 I'll just buy one

nzdans

Likes Dirt
I have a pretty serious Aldi addiction...

Nonetheless bike wise I only bought the floor pump today, a good looking backup for 15 slides..

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought the pump too, but I am not sure about the accuracy of the gauge. I pumped my tyres up to 20psi and I reckon they were at around 35 actual.
Might need to do some cross checking.

ChopSticks

Banned
guys! how big is the actual pump? is it small (will I need to break my back pending over to reach it?) or is it actually a full size floor pump?

not too concerned about accuracy.... as I just bought a digital pressure gauge... so just need a means of pumping up the tyres quickly then deflating to require pressures

Last edited:

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's kinda just floor pump sized. Seemed pretty comfortable to me when I was bent over pumping away........

Newie

Likes Dirt
A few weeks ago I purchased some aldi riding shorts and they are great.

Good fit, light, comes with removable inner seat padding, adjustable pads and more.
I bought 2 for those lazy wash days.

This week going to maybe pickup some aldi painers racks for the bike.

Some stuff is great value, other stuff avoid.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
A few weeks ago I purchased some aldi riding shorts and they are great.

Good fit, light, comes with removable inner seat padding, adjustable pads and more.
I bought 2 for those lazy wash days.

This week going to maybe pickup some aldi painers racks for the bike.

Some stuff is great value, other stuff avoid.
I prefer my Aldi shorts to my fox ones. Although the chamois in last year's liner is more comfortable than the new one. Also got a cycling jacket this year.

stirk

Burner
I prefer my Aldi shorts to my fox ones. Although the chamois in last year's liner is more comfortable than the new one. Also got a cycling jacket this year.
Shorts? I only saw knicks a month ago when they were selling the bike stand. My Endura shorts of only 1 year and 1500 km's of riding ended up having no endurance and ripped badly after getting caught on the saddle moving about, the fabric had deteriorated so much it was easy to tear. Are the shorts on the special this month? I don't see them on the website...