Alkaline Diet

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
Anyone know anything about this?

It seems to make sense but it also looks a bit like a bit too obvious, if it was authentic, surely everyone would have been onto it years ago?

driftking

Wheel size expert
I love this subject.
The biggest issue with alkaline diets are weeding out the foods, acidic foods like lemons are actually alkaline once reaching the body. This is also the reason milk can be worse for bones not better, when we drink milk or cheese these create an acidic nature in out body, to equalize the oh the body draws out nutrients including calcium from its stores in the bones. This can offset the calcium in the milk. I hate seeing dr say drink more milk, dark greens and other sources of calcium that are alkaline are more ideal. That said a good balance diet won't off set the calcium as long as you have enough alkaline foods in the diet.

It will not change your ph balance permantly or your base line but it helps keep your body in a more stable state through the day with less fluctuation which means less nutrients are lost. Things like cancer are said to develop and thrive in a anaerobic state, an acid environment provides this, one of the suggestions is that by keeping the body at a level state we can significantly reduce or dominate these growths.

You can go over board and develop alkalosis from what I have seen it is best to has a balance of 80:20 if you are trying to come off a more acidic diet and a ratio of 60:40 alkaline:acid is sufficient for maintains the level. That's just from reading.

The hardest part is understanding which food do what.
I also like the ideal at the moment I am developing a diet that using a very good ratio of macros mixed with ideal ratios of mono and poly fats and withing poly a good ratio of omega fats.

My next steep is getting it to a ideal alkaline and acidic ratio.

Don't bother with ionizers thy can actually increase or magnify the metals in the water.

Also the reason people are not onto it is the same reason we have health issues and food producers can get away with pilling crap in our food. Because people don't bother to learn, its not something taught in school. (I think food should be mandatory for every year).
Most people know about basics like salt fat protien and carb. But they don't understand the internal things hence all these fad diets, they play havic on the lack of knowledge) things like ph balance or omega ratios it's just too in depth for most and without diving into it or being suggested it earlier it's not known.

Another issue is ease, from what I have seen most grains and all meats are acidic, grains are hard.

I have only read every on these diets on the Internet so don't take my words as 100% it's just my opinion and understanding from research. :)

On phone so sorry for some spelling issues.

Last edited:

mtb5150

Likes Dirt
THanks for the valuable feedback. I have a list of alkalising foods from the net, so it includes foods which are acidic but have an alkalising effect such as lemons & limes.

Meat, beer & Diet Coke are going to be hardest to weed out,

tommy gun

Likes Dirt
Alka water filter

My wife and daughter are into filtering their drinking water, water intake has has all been filtered and reduced of alkali significantly. They feel there is a benefit from it, general well being (early arthritis, joints, tendons). Check out these guys we purchased a filter from them, http://www.alkaway.com.au/products-alkalisers.html . The site will give you all the health benefits etc, the water filters are costly and annual replacement of the filters aren't cheap.
Hope this helps, Ian

I love this subject.
The biggest issue with alkaline diets are weeding out the foods, acidic foods like lemons are actually alkaline once reaching the body. This is also the reason milk can be worse for bones not better, when we drink milk or cheese these create an acidic nature in out body, to equalize the oh the body draws out nutrients including calcium from its stores in the bones. This can offset the calcium in the milk. I hate seeing dr say drink more milk, dark greens and other sources of calcium that are alkaline are more ideal. That said a good balance diet won't off set the calcium as long as you have enough alkaline foods in the diet.

It will not change your ph balance permantly or your base line but it helps keep your body in a more stable state through the day with less fluctuation which means less nutrients are lost. Things like cancer are said to develop and thrive in a anaerobic state, an acid environment provides this, one of the suggestions is that by keeping the body at a level state we can significantly reduce or dominate these growths.

You can go over board and develop alkalosis from what I have seen it is best to has a balance of 80:20 if you are trying to come off a more acidic diet and a ratio of 60:40 alkaline:acid is sufficient for maintains the level. That's just from reading.

The hardest part is understanding which food do what.
I also like the ideal at the moment I am developing a diet that using a very good ratio of macros mixed with ideal ratios of mono and poly fats and withing poly a good ratio of omega fats.

My next steep is getting it to a ideal alkaline and acidic ratio.

Don't bother with ionizers thy can actually increase or magnify the metals in the water.

Also the reason people are not onto it is the same reason we have health issues and food producers can get away with pilling crap in our food. Because people don't bother to learn, its not something taught in school. (I think food should be mandatory for every year).
Most people know about basics like salt fat protien and carb. But they don't understand the internal things hence all these fad diets, they play havic on the lack of knowledge) things like ph balance or omega ratios it's just too in depth for most and without diving into it or being suggested it earlier it's not known.

Another issue is ease, from what I have seen most grains and all meats are acidic, grains are hard.

I have only read every on these diets on the Internet so don't take my words as 100% it's just my opinion and understanding from research. :)

On phone so sorry for some spelling issues.

cookalkaline

Cannon Fodder
My wife and daughter are into filtering their drinking water, water intake has has all been filtered and reduced of alkali significantly. They feel there is a benefit from it, general well being (early arthritis, joints, tendons). Check out these guys we purchased a filter from them, http://www.alkaway.com.au/products-alkalisers.html . The site will give you all the health benefits etc, the water filters are costly and annual replacement of the filters aren't cheap.
Hope this helps, Ian
There are more benefits to eating alkaline and drinking alkaline water. Eating more alkaline will lead to better health. I was able to reverse bone loss by eating more alkaline. I post alkaline recipes on my blog, cookalkaline.com.

driftking

Wheel size expert
THanks for the valuable feedback. I have a list of alkalising foods from the net, so it includes foods which are acidic but have an alkalising effect such as lemons & limes.

Meat, beer & Diet Coke are going to be hardest to weed out,
I think it's important to remember you can eat some acidic food you don't need to cut out meat all together. What I find harder is to have one serve of meat, ones serve is only 100grams considered a steak is what 300-500grams.
I think the key is with the struggles is to focus on substituting first.
Reduce the diet coke intake (even a normal diet this is bad) cut down over a few weeks.
Beer will be hard but there is nothing wrong having a beer or two a day, remember its all about balance don't be overly scared of acidic foods balance is key.
With meat aim for one that is less acidic I do t think there are any though Ahah.
So for this it comes back to basic health so go for lean grass feed organic meats, they have a healthier fat profile and tend to have better nutition.

If you are interested in diet I would highly suggest you look at dr esselstyn, dr colin campbell and dr dean ornish. Thier diets are very impressive and focus on plant bassed diets with no meat the evidence is very impressive. In lavatory studies they found that meat proteins actually turned on cancer causing cells where plant based proteins did not. Now this diet completely gets rid of c dairy and meat. I am still going to eat both but it is very impressive and great reading.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So eating alkaline food via your stomach which has a pH of 0.5-1.5 makes some biochemical sense? How alkaline do you think it is when mixed with hydrochloric acid?

In addition, the concept of changing pH via diet fails the basic rule of human biology - that being maintenance of homeostasis. If the body cannot maintain it's pH, then cellular damage is the result via apoptosis - the "voluntary" death of cells unable to function in a normal way. That does not happen except in extreme circumstances because the body will not allow it via normal physiological corrections.

In the same way that the concept of antioxidants preventing cellular oxidative stress is rubbish, so is the concept of an altered pH diet. That's not to say you can't improve your health with healthy eating and neither am I saying that "antioxidants" don't have positive effects on the body, but it is not because they are antioxidants. Oxidative stress is what happens when you go into a nuclear reactor without protection.

The question here is what is exactly happening because of the diet changes with an "alkaline diet"? and not why isn't everyone eating an alkaline diet?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Benefits of an alkaline diet are clear cut from reading this thread

You drink less fizzy drinks , less beer, less meat, and generally watch your diet- if you reduced my choices of food to eat by 30% using any dietary rules , I would lose weight.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Benefits of an alkaline diet are clear cut from reading this thread

You drink less fizzy drinks , less beer, less meat, and generally watch your diet- if you reduced my choices of food to eat by 30% using any dietary rules , I would lose weight.
Unfortunately its significantly more in depth than that. If it was that simple there would be no worries changing over.
The problem comes in that fruit veggies and nuts all have different PH balance's eg peanuts are high acidic where almonds are closer (possible alkaline)
It is difficult though because we need to weigh up whats happening individually too though with these foods, I personally like the idea of a plant based diet that is higher in alkaline foods, the problem is we then need to look into the foods as well. For instance brazil nuts are great on the alkaline chart (from memory) but just one nut has the RDI of selenium which can be overdosed on. Almonds and soy products (alkaline and also high in plant based diets as protein replacements have levels of compounds and estrogen that can disrupt our natural levels if eaten in excess so you need to be careful with over doing these things.

OP I would suggest you find a few charts from reputable sources and cross check, I have seen many charts with foods in alkaline and acidic, also there are varying degrees or PH categories, I find these are great as something that is acidic may only be just acidic.

Tommy Gun I would checkout the website or email the company in regards to how it achieves the alkalinity of the water and what effect it has on the metals that remain, I am not 100% sure on the process but From reading myself on the subject as I was considered a neutralizer or a alkaline filter there is evidence that it can amplify the metals within the water.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"only humans need to be told what to eat" Michael Pollan - In Defence of Food

or to put it another way

"You're doing it all wrong"

driftking

Wheel size expert
Ah that explains this thread :flypig:
That is only In regards to he "cancer switch" and is related to a plant based diet and thier protiens reaction compares to meat, while it does relate to a alkaline diet as you will eat more plant protiens it is not to do with alkalinity.
It's not actually related to the idea of alkaline diet but my tangent suggestion for the op To explore dr esselstyn's work.
:)

Last edited: