All mountain/ Enduro riding around Melbourne

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
As far as I know heaps of people ride it regularly and I've seen trail maintenance done there recently. I think there was contention with the old bottom section, where kids were building jumps and getting offside with the local pony club...
What's the best way back to the top if shuttle isn't an option?

slowmick

38-39"
My guess would be basin olinda road but it is a long ride. be careful riding the track too - i have seen people (including young families) using it was a short cut to the top of the hill. I was surprised how exposed the entry and exit points are along the fire roads for an unsactioned trail. It would be close to 10 years since I've ridden it.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
What's the best way back to the top if shuttle isn't an option?
I usually ride up the 4wd/walking track that zig zags its way up from the bottom. It's a beast of a climb, especially when you do it more than once... I wouldn't bother shuttling it anyway - it's such a long way to the top along the tourist road.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Out of all these places you have listed, what would you say is the best for technical riding and steep? Don't mind a few rocks and roots on the trail and braking hard haha
Hmm You Yangs is probably the most tech, but it's not exactly steep. They've done well with what elevation they have to work with though.
Steepest I've ridden is LaLa out at Warburton but that's currently out of action...

Kinglake might be a good shot... not incredibly steep, but you can get some decent speed if you lay off the brakes, and there's regular shuttles.
Top end is more flow and jumps, mid section opens up to rocky fire road cross overs and the end is off camber, rocky, etc.

I had a look just before Christmas and it was all just depressingly overgrown, not ridden for months, neglected and basically dead. RIP awesome Warby trails :(
Yeah I went out there on Saturday just gone... took a ton of photos to share with fellow ridebros. We're all pretty sad about it.
Looks like people are still riding the main track, despite the vandalism and signs saying the trail is closed.
Lots of skid marks around steep corners and stuff, also a number of skid marks coming out of the trail exit. Evidence of motos being on the track, too.

The offshoot '#enduflow' trail is mostly covered in leaf litter, was a little hard to follow the start... if I hadn't ridden it a ton I wouldn't have known there was even a trail there.
Further down looked better but a lot of the berms and jumps needed some love.

I did notice all the trail features that are in need of repair (after the vandalism by Captain Cranky at the bottom of the hill), reworking, or will likely require signage once 'official/legal' are now numbered with little yellow markers.

So it seems there's activity behind the scenes, they're just very quiet about it, even to YRMTB members... and suuuuper slow about getting shit done.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
So it seems there's activity behind the scenes, they're just very quiet about it, even to YRMTB members... and suuuuper slow about getting shit done.
Really? I just assumed (like others) that those tracks were dead to me.

To think all this trouble over some road use issues from 2 locals. Shuttles aren't the be all and end all, I wonder if said locals would be cool with riders who are willing/able to ride to the top of the trails?

I'm sure the guys who built all those trails have already built replacements further afield and are enjoying the shit out of them. Why the f*^k is trail building/permissions so backwards in this country? Meanwhile, I'll be forced to ride the 1,100m descent walking tracks ;)

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Really? I just assumed (like others) that those tracks were dead to me.

To think all this trouble over some road use issues from 2 locals. Shuttles aren't the be all and end all, I wonder if said locals would be cool with riders who are willing/able to ride to the top of the trails?

I'm sure the guys who built all those trails have already built replacements further afield and are enjoying the shit out of them. Why the f*^k is trail building/permissions so backwards in this country? Meanwhile, I'll be forced to ride the 1,100m descent walking tracks ;)
Apparently those two tracks, and the Mine (Mind?) Crusher track are in the works to be made legal trails.
Lala appears to be missing out currently.

At least that's all I've really seen mentioned in the YRMTB newsletters so far.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Back on topic, they're a little more XC focused but make sure you check out Anglesea and Forrest.

Anglesea has kilometres of unmarked trails, with some fun albeit not particularly challenging descents. Go see Ari at Trailhead Bikes in town and he can point you in the right direction. Only 1 hour 20 mins from Melbourne.

Forrest is worth a shot too. Again more on the XC side but there are some fun technical runs to be had. Plus you can finish the evening off at the brewery. Probably a bit over 2 hours from Melbourne.

If you get some accommodation could throw in the you Yangs on the way home.

frug

Likes Bikes
****** Warburton Trails Maintenance Days Nov/Dec UPDATE ******

YRMTB are having trail maintenance days on the 19th & 20th (Nov), 26th & 27th (Nov), 3rd & 4th (Dec).

These next 3 weekends we will be concentrating our focus on the trails on Mount Bride/Tugwell.

These trails include Topbot (Tip Top), Pinhead (Top Track) and Warpij (New Flow) Track.

Lots of work to be done rebuilding jumps, fixing brake stutters, reconstructing berms and general trail maintenance.

Dates: 19th & 20th (Nov), 26th & 27th (Nov), 3rd & 4th (Dec).
Time: 9am for a 9:30am start
Meeting Point: Meet on the corner of Mount Bride Rd and Edwardstown Rd, Warburton. (bottom of Warpij)
Google Map: https://goo.gl/maps/nDbFQuQDuH32
What to bring: Shovels, nail rakes, mattocks, picks, chain saw (with qualifications), Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), Rake Hoes, food and water.

Everyone is welcome, so spread the word!!

You can spend as much or as little time out there. More hands make light work.

We all know how rad these trails were, so give something back to the trails and lets get them primed ready for Summer!!

If you've never ridden out here, this is the perfect opportunity to see what all the hype is about and contribute to something special!!

Update info can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/yrmtb/ (Public page, so you don't need to be a FB member to see info!!)

See ya'll there!!
Doug
YRMTB Secretary

frug

Likes Bikes
********* Trail Maintenance Day *********

******** MTB Trail Maintenance this Weekend ******

The third and final in this series of Mount Bride Trail Maintenance weekends is on THIS weekend.

Lunch will be provided Sunday by the very kind ladies at Cog Bike Cafe.

We need all hands on deck for this final weekend (in this series), to finish off trail clearing and feature building so we can get these trails open to ride....and we all want to ride!!!

There are 1614 people that like this page, so why not be more than a "Keyboard Hero" and get those hands dirty!!

I cannot stress how important it is for people to lend a hand!!

You all want to ride out here, so why not really show your support! Huge thanks to the guys that have given up their weekend days to lend a hand!

More details here: https://www.facebook.com/yrmtb/posts/1300758076625155

Weather looks the goods, so get involved!!

See ya'll there!
Doug
YRMTB Secretary.

frug

Likes Bikes
********* February Trail Maintenance Day *********

Hi all.

The next trail maintenance day is on the first weekend in Feb.

Face Book Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/206970626442505/

I know I've said it before, but this weekend should see the last weekend of constructing Hey Hey My My, before it is opened.

Day 1. (Saturday 2nd Feb)
Time: 9:30am
Place: Cnr Crusher Track and Old Warburton Road, Wesburn.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SZpNDhJ2bf92

With only one section of trail to finish, the light is getting brighter!
We've got to bentch out the final section of the desent and that's about it.

With a good showing, this trail will be finished and we can work on getting it officially opened!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 2 (Sunday 3rd Feb)
Time:9:30am
Place: Cnr Crusher Track and Old Warburton Road, Wesburn.
Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/SZpNDhJ2bf92

With any luck Hey Hey My My will be finished and we can work on the other 2 trails. Show up here and we'll go from there.

Non-YRMTB members are more than welcome!!

You don't have to be out for the whole day, even if you can spare a few hours, that's a great help!!

Bring: Shovels, nail rakes, mattocks, picks, chain saw (with qualifications), Personal Protection Equipment, Rake Hoes, FOOD and WATER. YRMTB will supply PPE if you don't have any.

These trails are the most unique trails around and will satisfy any mountain bikers apatite for adrenaline!

The last maintenance day turnout was amazing and we'll need those similar numbers to get this trail ticked off by DELWP so everyone can have a Summer of awesome LEGAL mountain biking here in Warburton!!

Really hope to see you all there!!

Doug
YRMTB Secretary

Olinda trails worth a look?
I know there are now some longer runs through and beyond the pines on the res fence line and you used to be able to link up the boundary track of the golf course down to where the Tchans track now is...........

The Golf course is now closed so maybe an opportunity of something discreet there?.....

dunndog

Eats Squid
Warburton isn't a great option as all but one of the trails has been closed due to [insert very long and boring story]. ..............................Melbourne and there is also Lake Mountain, which is perhaps 1.5 hours. And Granton, which is out that way. There are also some trails out at Mt Dandenong, which might be your closest bet. The C10 track is awesome fun on a trail bike and there is also a fun track with lots of drops on Inverness Rd.
See that dotted out bit? This is how Warby's demise started.. keeping this location as quiet as possible is the only way the local rangers are going to allow things to continue there. They're nazi enough as it is. :mod:
Usage has gone through the roof over the past 18 months, it's certainly no secret any more unfortunately..

Last edited:

Staunch

Eats Squid
See that dotted out bit? This is how Warby's demise started.. keeping this location as quiet as possible is the only way the local rangers are going to allow things to continue there. They're nazi enough as it is. :mod:
Usage has gone through the roof over the past 18 months, it's certainly no secret any more unfortunately..
Exactly this.
Considering we managed to keep it pretty under wraps for 7-ish years, it's ridiculous now days. If people can't keep their mouths shut there'll soon be very few public illegal DH tracks, no point in building something and sharing it when that means its demise.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Exactly this.
Considering we managed to keep it pretty under wraps for 7-ish years, it's ridiculous now days. If people can't keep their mouths shut there'll soon be very few public illegal DH tracks, no point in building something and sharing it when that means its demise.
Yeah Nah. Wasn't it a pissed off local that resulted in the demise of the LaLa trail at Warby? Nothing is secret if you're doing it in public and in daylight.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Good point, I have edited the original post.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Nothing is secret if you're doing it in public and in daylight.

Yes and no. If one was to start building new illegal/unsanctioned trails in certain areas, the starting points of these trails would probably not be visible from any roads. If rangers were to see people building or riding these trails, the unwanted attention could result in them getting shut down completely or legal action threatened. I wouldn't build somewhere if there were signs up expressly forbidding it, citing massive fines if I were to do so.

Staunch

Eats Squid
Yeah Nah. Wasn't it a pissed off local that resulted in the demise of the LaLa trail at Warby? Nothing is secret if you're doing it in public and in daylight.

And what pissed off that local? A huge increase in traffic and apparently disruption to his serenity. From there the council was involved and everything shut down.
Same principle would apply with the previously mentioned location. There are a lot of wealthy people around that area up the mountain, if they take a dislike to the hoards of people riding there now and get onto Parks about it, we don't have a very good chance.

There's a pretty big difference between secret and on the down low. You're right, nothing in public is ever secret but you can't turn a blind eye to something, as they've done, when you're getting complaints from the public.

dunndog

Eats Squid

That was just the straw that broke the camel's back. The huge upturn in usage over the 3 or 4 years' prior due to more public posts, mentions, etc. was the real problem. The locals and parks handled small numbers of riders and shuttle vehicles for a decade, but in the end it got way too busy. Secret doesn't mean ninjas under the cover of darkness, it just means not lighting it up on a public forum..
*Edit* ....and then looks at the post above. Right on.

Last edited: