All mountain Hardtail - Buildup from scratch

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I have a few bikes, SB66 and a relaxed geometry Van-Nic 29er hardtail which cops a fair hiding on the trails. Love the feel of the hard tail but also really enjoy the playfulness of the SB66 so I thought I would try and build something new combining traits of both. Primarily fun and simple.

What I am doing is designing a frame which I plan to get built overseas. The design process is almost complete. Will result in something along the lines of
  • 29" hardtail in titanium (Nice tough material)
  • 67 degree headangle and 75 degree seattube supporting a 130-140mm 29er fork
  • almost a 600mm effective top tube length
  • 430mm seat tube
  • chainstays adjustable between 425-445
  • Stealth dropper post
  • Only supports a 1 x 10 style drivetrain

Once I have got the frame design locked in I will get it built by a Chinese company. Prices are great and build quality seems solid.

Hopefully will be able to chuck the frame design up over the next day and get some feedback.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Thought I would upload some pics of the two baseline bikes.

YetiMed.jpg
The yeti I love because of the geometry, its durability and strength. This is the basis of the geometry. Angles and reach

Van_Med.jpg
The van I love because it feels so alive on the trail, chuckable and exciting. shorter chainstays make it light in the front for a 29er

Last edited:

aanon

Likes Dirt
I'm gonna be watching this with interest, sounds good.
Regarding the Chinese company you speak of, do they have a minimum order number? also what is a ''great price''
Pretty keen on doing similar if they are happy to make one or just a few.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Still waiting on the final design and price to come through. Price is expected to be around $650 + shipping.

One big question is what to call it. Ideas?

Here are some of the bits I have ready to fit.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
Still waiting on the final design and price to come through. Price is expected to be around $650 + shipping.

One big question is what to call it. Ideas?

Here are some of the bits I have ready to fit.

Thats a super small chain ring your running on those cranks there, 22t??????????

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Ha ha. Me being lazy. Fitted a narrow wide a while ago without taking the cranks off. Had to leave the granny ring on. Stole the narrow wide a few weeks ago for a mates bike. Not even sure they will fit the new bike.

dug8713

Likes Dirt
Will be keeping a keen eye on your thread dusty. Would love to hear which Chinese company you went with & how well it all went with the whole process from initial design to finished product.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Well it took a bit more time than expected but here is the final design.

Price is just under $800 landed here in OZ.

Now the fun part. Will pay the deposit on Monday and then I can start buying all the bits.

Frame.jpg

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Brakes?
Thinking either a set of xt servo wave at around $85 each or zee's at $130 each. Big price gap. Is it worth it?

uglybob

Likes Bikes
Just found this review, almost spot on what I am doing.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tested-REEB-Cycles-All-Mountain-REEB-2013.html

Been hot and cold about the driveline. 1 x 10 or single speed?

The single speed does give it that further carefree factor like a bmx. Think the first iteration will be a belt drive. Not sure of the gearing thou.

Normal single speed like a 32 x 20 ratio or gear it down a little?

Frame is still 4-5 weeks away.
around Perth i can get up everything on the KC running 32-16. the only 2 places i haven't been able to get up are the elevator & WNM (give me a good run one day and i reckon i could)

you need to be realistic that you won't be able to climb everything and still have the gearing to go hell for leather on the downhills as well. i won't be changing from 32-16, but if i did i'd go say 32-18 and thats it. otherwise the moment you come to a fireroad or anything you'll be spinning like crazy.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Nope, picked them up on eBay just recently.

The ones below I got new. 15 years ago when I brought my giant mcm 2 carbon bike. The only part left and I can honestly say I have not had a new bike since. Lots of frames, wheels and bits thou :)

These have well over 20,000km in them. Awesome pedal

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
around Perth i can get up everything on the KC running 32-16. the only 2 places i haven't been able to get up are the elevator & WNM (give me a good run one day and i reckon i could)

you need to be realistic that you won't be able to climb everything and still have the gearing to go hell for leather on the downhills as well. i won't be changing from 32-16, but if i did i'd go say 32-18 and thats it. otherwise the moment you come to a fireroad or anything you'll be spinning like crazy.
Hey ugly, your hearing is for 26 or 29?