All Mountain Tyres

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did a couple of laps of Buxton yesterday and tried the following tyre combo's:
Minion DHR II 29x2.4WT max terra front / Forkaster 2.3 exo/tr rear; &
Minion DHF 29x2.3 max terra front / Aggressor 2.3 exo/tr rear.

Raining when we got there but the ground was grippy and pretty good, wet clay in patches but not sloppy. In the first combo the DHRII front felt solid, but felt slower than the DHF which felt just as planted. The Forekaster on the rear felt fast, but I didn't really test it's braking grip that much. The second combo the DHF front which felt real solid and faster than the DHR, but the Aggressor seemed to roll slower on the rear than the Forecaster. Think the Aggressor will have far more braking than the Forekaster, but it seems to run slower. Felt like the DHF front with the Forekaster back would be the best of this combo, or go Aggressor rear for slightly slower but more braking.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Raining when we got there but the ground was grippy and pretty good, wet clay in patches but not sloppy. In the first combo the DHRII front felt solid, but felt slower than the DHF which felt just as planted. The Forekaster on the rear felt fast, but I didn't really test it's braking grip that much. The second combo the DHF front which felt real solid and faster than the DHR, but the Aggressor seemed to roll slower on the rear than the Forecaster. Think the Aggressor will have far more braking than the Forekaster, but it seems to run slower. Felt like the DHF front with the Forekaster back would be the best of this combo, or go Aggressor rear for slightly slower but more braking.
I think you're on par with everyone else in saying the Aggressor is good for braking but a lot of people claim they roll fast. Maybe different rim widths effect how well they roll.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I think you're on par with everyone else in saying the Aggressor is good for braking but a lot of people claim they roll fast. Maybe different rim widths effect how well they roll.
I am one who thinks it rolls great, but I often run MM, HR2, DHF or DHR2 on the rear, so it me its a great compromise tyre over some slow tyres, the aggressor ticks all the boxes for a trail tyre for rolling, braking, corner and just being predictable. If i use anytthing that rolls better than the aggressor, I wish I had a 'meater' tyre for every fun DH section.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt

Did either of the Forkaster or Aggressor blow up big, or were they a touch small? I was actually going to ask what people were running on their 29ers, so your post was timely. I will be pairing it most likely with a Hans Dampf, and the one I have on my 26er is as big as the 2.5 DHF I currently have on my 29er :/

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actual widths on 28mm internal rims:
  • 29x2.3 tr/exo Aggressor = 59mm/2.32"
  • 29x2.35 tr/exo Forkaster = 59.4mm/2.33"

The Forekaster spec is 735g compared to the 900g Aggressor, possibly why it felt like is spun up a little easier. Fast, plenty of grip but not as robust as the Aggressor.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Anyone been using the Maxxis Griffin?
yeah I have
29er 2.3
Really good on the back of my FS,really rails corners well. Ok in the wet but there are better choices.
Now running on the front of my HT with an ardent race out back. Not know as a front tyre but its fine, corners well and relatively fast rolling.
Like many other 2.3 Maxxis tyres- it doesnt blow up a big as Schwalbe.

BT180

Max Pfaff
yeah I have
29er 2.3
Really good on the back of my FS,really rails corners well. Ok in the wet but there are better choices.
Now running on the front of my HT with an ardent race out back. Not know as a front tyre but its fine, corners well and relatively fast rolling.
Like many other 2.3 Maxxis tyres- it doesnt blow up a big as Schwalbe.
Looking at getting one on the rear for dry, rocky conditions. Seen a review where they complained about the wear rate. How is yours holding up?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
currently running Maxxis DHR2 front and minion SS rear on 29er bike.

(Edit - Short travel Banshee 29er used for yarra trails, Lysty, and sometimes the flatter bits of the youies.

I mainly go for grip over fast rolling, at least on the front.)

Thinking of Magic Mary evo snakeskin front and Rock Razor PaceStar Snake Skin rear
or

Hans Dampf Evo SnakeSkin TrailStar front/ Rock Razor PaceStar Snake Skin rear

or Magic Mary front & Hans Dampf rear.

I read in places that HD are good but tend to shred their side blocks??
I have a HD on the front of my trail 29er and ride the same stuff and found it's pretty much bang on for the hardpack/loose over trails. Coming up to 9 months and the side knobs are showing a little bit of wear but certainly not being chewed off.
I rate the HD highly, grips when you lean right over and grips when you are in the transition zone. Not much more you can ask of a tyre for trail riding imo. I'm sure there's bigger knobs tyres for railing stuff but for general riding, it's a jack of all trades master of none tyre... Just like the trail bike it's on.

Last edited:

BT180

Max Pfaff
I came across this as I`m looking to replace a worn tyre on the back . Current is minion DHF / DHR . Has anyone tried this combo and what are your thoughts ? If you go to the end of the test these won easily as a combo and were recommended by Maxxis .

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-enduro-tire-seven-combos-in-comparison/2/
Depends where you ride. Enduro MTB is based in the UK and the Shorty is a wet weather tyre. Not sure if it would be a good option on dry, hard Aussie trails,.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Depends where you ride. Enduro MTB is based in the UK and the short is a wet weather tyre. Not sure if it would be a good option on dry, hard Aussie trails,.
That was my exact thoughts about someone using a Magic Mary up front in Brisbane because most of the trails here are dust over hard pack. There's only some parts of a few parks where you might use it but I did see someone post up a trail that looked soft and loamy in Vic though.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
F: Minion DHF R: Aggressor

Just chiming in with my experience.

I'm running 29" DHF/Aggressor on my Optic, 2.3" for both. Perspective for me as that I also ran this combo on my Reign in 27.5".

The DHF is a known quantity, it just works pretty much everywhere, and when it's struggling it lets you know that it's about to lose it's shit.

The Aggressor is the interesting one. In 27.5" i found it a bit lacking overall from a braking and cornering perspective, but was a good enough climber, cornered well and rolled good enough, so I stuck with it. In 29" though, the climbing traction seems a little lacking, but it seems better everywhere else. Go figure.

Still very happy with the combo, it's just a a solid reliable setup.

Back to the Reign though, I did run a Tomahawk in the rear for a while. Man, what a tyre! STOOPID fast and cornered like nothing else, just don't expect it to have braking traction on anything but hard pack or tarmac... and the WEAR RATE eek! Still might get one for the Optic at some stage.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
, I did run a Tomahawk in the rear for a while. Man, what a tyre! STOOPID fast and cornered like nothing else, just don't expect it to have braking traction on anything but hard pack or tarmac... and the WEAR RATE eek! Still might get one for the Optic at some stage.
Better off going to a minion SS or rock razor, Tomahawks are good tyres but same experience as you with the fast wear rate.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Depends where you ride. Enduro MTB is based in the UK and the Shorty is a wet weather tyre. Not sure if it would be a good option on dry, hard Aussie trails,.
You are spot on.

I love the Shorty, run them in DH and EXO, in the right conditions they are amazing. Loamy, wet, slippery, the front lawn. They also make a really nce BRRRRRRR when riding, probably terrible for KOMs.

However, in the wrong conditions they are horrendously bad, hardpack and loose over hardpack you'll need ambo cover, too squirmy, edges fold over and you go flying off the top of the berm at full speed or loose the front in a full speed flat corner.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Happy to donate the Tomahawk....

I think the Tomahawk is still in the shed.... I don't have a 27.5" bike anymore either....

Happy to donate to an interested party, pick-up or the cost of postage.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
You are spot on.

I love the Shorty, run them in DH and EXO, in the right conditions they are amazing. Loamy, wet, slippery, the front lawn. They also make a really nce BRRRRRRR when riding, probably terrible for KOMs.

However, in the wrong conditions they are horrendously bad, hardpack and loose over hardpack you'll need ambo cover, too squirmy, edges fold over and you go flying off the top of the berm at full speed or loose the front in a full speed flat corner.
This is what I wanted to hear . Going to stick with DHF / DHR .

jimigor

Squid
The Aggressor is the interesting one. In 27.5" i found it a bit lacking overall from a braking and cornering perspective, but was a good enough climber, cornered well and rolled good enough, so I stuck with it.
This pretty much sums up my experience with the 27.5 Aggressor. Rolls and climbs fairly well considering the grip but braking traction isn't the best. Especially now that its worn down a bit.

Also the sidewalls on mine started bleeding sealant once it got a decent amount of km's on it.

I would put it down as a good all-rounder race tyre in the DD version if you are willing to put fresh tyres on. As once its worn in the braking traction goes to shit.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
is there any difference in the spacing of the tread blocks in these 2 tyres? one says WT and the other doesn't, but both are 2.5 width

Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 3C Maxx Grip - 2 Ply DH - TR Kevlar Folding Black
and
Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 3C Maxx Terra - EXO WT - TR Kevlar FoldingBlack

BT180

Max Pfaff
is there any difference in the spacing of the tread blocks in these 2 tyres? one says WT and the other doesn't, but both are 2.5 width

Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 3C Maxx Grip - 2 Ply DH - TR Kevlar Folding Black
and
Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 3C Maxx Terra - EXO WT - TR Kevlar FoldingBlack
Yep, the WTs have a bigger space between the outside knobs and the centre knobs, to help round out the profile a bit on wider rims.