All Mountain Tyres

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The problem is tyres make the largest handling difference on your bike, so it’s an easy way of switching it up so you don’t get bored. Especially on a single bike fleet.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
The 2.3 DHF on my rims is a little small - it rides & grips fine, but I want more volume & width.

So....looking at other options for front only....with similar performance to DHF...?
Does it grip in dry loose-over-hard conditions?
Michelin Wild RockR'2.

Rated best 'summer tyre' in a recent review: http://singletrackworld.com/2017/11/review-michelin-wild-rockr²-gum-27-5x2-35in-tyre/

"Michelin has done a really great job with these tyres. Compared to this tester’s favourite front tyre (Schwalbe Magic Mary), the Michelin Wild Rock’R²s roll faster, corner better and have more grip on roots. They don’t brake quite as well in the damp or on the steeps, but this is really splitting hairs. We’re impressed."

Disclaimer: I have not used the above tyre, but I have used the Force XC/Wild AM. The Wild AM is approaching DHF grip in the corners but is much lighter and rolls much better.

Also the Michelins are a better casing and much higher quality than Maxxis.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Michelin Wild RockR'2.

Rated best 'summer tyre' in a recent review: http://singletrackworld.com/2017/11/review-michelin-wild-rockr²-gum-27-5x2-35in-tyre/

"Michelin has done a really great job with these tyres. Compared to this tester’s favourite front tyre (Schwalbe Magic Mary), the Michelin Wild Rock’R²s roll faster, corner better and have more grip on roots. They don’t brake quite as well in the damp or on the steeps, but this is really splitting hairs. We’re impressed."

Disclaimer: I have not used the above tyre, but I have used the Force XC/Wild AM. The Wild AM is approaching DHF grip in the corners but is much lighter and rolls much better.

Also the Michelins are a better casing and much higher quality than Maxxis.
Nice.
I read a bit about Michelins...'twas mixed.
But I'll shortlist the Wild Rock for sure.
Any idea on volume? Are they a "big" 2.4?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Nice.
I read a bit about Michelins...'twas mixed.
But I'll shortlist the Wild Rock for sure.
Any idea on volume? Are they a "big" 2.4?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk
The michi's I have used were 2.25 and 2.35. They were bigger than the equivalent Maxxis tyres for sure, the 2.35 was probably not quite as large as something like a 2.35 Hans Dampf though.

SDA

Likes Dirt
My new favorite combo is:
  • Front - Maxxis DHF 3C Exo TR 2.5" WT
  • Rear - Bontrager SE4 2.4"
Spent 3 days riding Mystic MTB Park in Bright and didn't think about them once.

Great combo!

Z

Zaf

I just had delivery on some parts for the new bike when I got back from NSW yesterday.
In the box was some new Michelin Gum-X compound rubbers, a 2.35 Wild Grip'R and Race'R. Now I ordered two parcels from the same company, on the same day, to the same address and the wheels/rims etc were in the other package, so I haven't had a chance to build the wheels and then mount them.

In the hand they feel pretty solid though, the 55A on the Grip'R feels pretty tacky. I'll report back if the Frenchies are onto a good thing or not come after the bike is up and running in May.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I've been really impressed recently with Maxxis DHF 2.5 TR EXO on the rear and Maxxis DHR2 2.6 TR EXO on the front. That was on the hardtail.

Due to the recent flat to the front of the dually I'm going to give them a run on that as well for the next ride and will get back with how they go on that.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I just had delivery on some parts for the new bike when I got back from NSW yesterday.
In the box was some new Michelin Gum-X compound rubbers, a 2.35 Wild Grip'R and Race'R. Now I ordered two parcels from the same company, on the same day, to the same address and the wheels/rims etc were in the other package, so I haven't had a chance to build the wheels and then mount them.

In the hand they feel pretty solid though, the 55A on the Grip'R feels pretty tacky. I'll report back if the Frenchies are onto a good thing or not come after the bike is up and running in May.
Will be good to get your thoughts in the grip’r. I ran one for a short time on the front and liked it but felt like the side knobs squirmed a bit and let got a bit easy. It may have been user error and I always thought I should give it another shot

Z

Zaf

Will be good to get your thoughts in the grip’r. I ran one for a short time on the front and liked it but felt like the side knobs squirmed a bit and let got a bit easy. It may have been user error and I always thought I should give it another shot
I ran an old Grip'R way back when I was living in Wangaratta, and it was pretty much a DHR clone and great tyre (if a little heavy). These are the new ones since Jerome went through and had some input on them. Keen to see how they play though.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Been running an 27.5x2.3 exo agressor on rear on a Flow mk3 rim. Neither loved or hated it but it is due for replacement. Anyone run the new hans dampf? Currently considering:

Hans Dampf
DHF
Agressor

Run a Magic Mary 2.35 on the front have been enjoying that on all but super hardpack (currently have busted ribs from high speed crash in hardpack corner...)

Happy to hear opinions.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Been running an 27.5x2.3 exo agressor on rear on a Flow mk3 rim. Neither loved or hated it but it is due for replacement. Anyone run the new hans dampf? Currently considering:

Hans Dampf
DHF
Agressor

Run a Magic Mary 2.35 on the front have been enjoying that on all but super hardpack (currently have busted ribs from high speed crash in hardpack corner...)

Happy to hear opinions.
Kind of depends what you want performance wise?

DHF awesome rear tyre for cornering and all round grip, but feels at least to me to be very draggy.

I like the aggressor as a trail tyre, rolls great compared to a DHF, all round good tyre, but wouldnt use it on on a shuttle day over a DHF.

What about a semi slick? Something like a SG rock razor, same edge knobs as your magic mary, so corners great and rolls great, but just don't mbother trying to stop on something steep and loose.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Hans Dampf
DHF
Agressor

Happy to hear opinions.
I done the same thing with a magic mary on pipeline at gapcreek but minus the broken ribs. They're a seasonal tyre for European conditions when it gets wet. The Hans Damf have transition knobs that are too high and it stops the tyre from biting in, really hard in the corners I've found.

Last edited:

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the responses. Use is enduro racing.

Regarding the rock razor I had that before the agressor and absolutely loved it but it let me down with leaks so often. It wasn't the new version though. Guess I could try a minion SS.

Have been thinking of running 2.3 DHF/ 2.2 ardent combo on my stocko giant carbons. From the feedback looks like maybe 2.35 MM/ 2.3 DHF or agressor on my flows. Possibly a semi slick too.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
A few weeks back I fitted a Michelin Wild AM 2.35 on the front (650B).

I've done a bit of Derby, a shuttle day at Maydena in excessive mud, a few laps at my local trails (which are generally hard-pack + loose shit on top)....and a my first Enduro race on trails I had never seen before.

So far I really like it. Same or better grip than the DHF 2.3 I took off...with slightly more volume.
It is a very square tyre on my 27mm ID rims.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I can highly recommend Onza Ibex or possibly any Onza tyres. Ive had just about every Schwalbe tyre, Maxxis Minion, Ardent and Icon... my current Onza Ibex shit all over them with weight vs grip and more so puncture resistance.

Cost a bit more from online sellers but IMO worth it.
PSA Bike-components.de have Onza tyres on sale from 13 euros.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

BT180

Max Pfaff
Hearing some good things about the Griffin. I'm going to check that out once my 2.5 Aggressor wears out.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
PSA Bike-components.de have Onza tyres on sale from 13 euros.
Well spotted ! I'll put an order together later... 4 x 2.25 Ibex for my boys. Will save the $65 a tyre Conti Racekings that I've just fitted for racing only.
Sadly all my bikes are 29.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Well spotted ! I'll put an order together later... 4 x 2.25 Ibex for my boys. Will save the $65 a tyre Conti Racekings that I've just fitted for racing only.
Sadly all my bikes are 29.
Cyclingdeal have some good deals on 29ers like the s-works fast tracks.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk