All Mountain Tyres

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
early days for my new set of tires - Purgatory Control 2.4 2bliss front, Captain Control 2.2 2bliss rear, but have done ~150km so far and am very happy with them. Would rate them at least equal to if not a good chunk better all up than the previous High Roller 2.5/Crossmark 2.25 combo. Time will tell on the wear, durability etc but yeah enjoying the new donuts!

Initial post
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/mtb-tires-mountain-biking/tires-tubes/

100km review
http://digitalhippie.net/mountain-biking/mtb-tires-mountain-biking/spesh-100km-tire-review/

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
I am running Kenda Nevegal 2.35 front and 2.2 Schwalbe Nobby Nic performance on the rear.

I don't care what people say about them I really like the Nevegal. Strong sidewall and good wear resistance. They hook up well when i lean the bike over and are great in the wet.

The Nobby Nic I like in DRY conditions. It slides predicibly on the rear although it doesnt like to be leaned over hard. I also have to run more pressure in the rear due to the thin sidewalls.
( I am a small guy. I run about 33/34 in the Nobby Nic)

In the wet the Nobby Nic is useless. unless you're going in a straight line it is rubbish. Poor braking as well.

If i know it is wet i swap out the rear for another Nevegal.

Nevegal Pros: - Grippy, Good sidewalls, Long Lasting, Corners well Nevegal Cons : - Heavy tyre, Slow rolling on hardpack

Nobby Nic Pros: - reasonably fast rolling, Light weight, predictable in dry conditions Nobby Nic Cons : - Useless in the wet. Period, Soft weak sidewalls, Price

Bike is a 2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT

I am thinking about trying a Maxxis Minion single ply F and High Roller combo............thoughts? too heavy for AM riding?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Anthiron, you must be about the only person in the world who thinks Nevegals have a strong sidewall; if they work for you so be it. I reckon the HR/Minion combo you're contemplating is both too heavy and WAY too slow for AM riding, unless you normally use lead for tyre sealant.

Purgatory is a nice looking AM tyre, hope it does the goods for you Hippie!

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
Just to add my 2 cents. I went for a ride today with a nobby nic 2.4 front and found it great. Riding through mud and leaning it over a few times it actually held up well in the wet. I was also running a nevegal 2.35 rear and found that to be pretty good too.

I generally stick to some combination of these two tyres. I have recently slashed a sidewall in a nobby nic on the rear (not enough to flat) but enough to make the tube bulge out. Can definitely vouch for their sidewalls being thinner. They are a fair bit lighter than the nevegal though.

needaride

Likes Dirt
Currently running a 2.4 Maxxis Advantage EXo 60a up front and High Roller 2.35 60a out back. Works really good. Keen to try the High Roller / Larsen combo at some point.

I also have a 2.35 Maxxis Bling Bling, the old Lopes signature tyre.. its super fun, has minion side walls but small square centre nobs - rolls really well, hooks through corners.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I also have a 2.35 Maxxis Bling Bling, the old Lopes signature tyre.. its super fun, has minion side walls but small square centre nobs - rolls really well, hooks through corners.
They dont make them any more do they? That would be the perfect rear tire for me.

I'm in a prediciment.. I'm running a big betty 2.4 front and ardent 2.4 rear on my hardtail atm. The combo has tonnes of grip, a big bag which I love and really good puncture protection. But, it's a very slow combo. I'm looking to get something a bit quicker/lighter on the rear without sacrificing much puncture resitance/weight. Ill probably grab a 2.3 larsen.. but is there anything out there im missing?

I run my pressures as low as 25psi with tubes - and im not going tubeless anytime soon. I weigh 75kgs and am pretty smooth as I primarily ride bmx/street mtb.. I TRY to glide over bumps (usually not very effectively).

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go a Nobby Nic on the rear. Rolls better than a Big Betty with good grip.
Theyre great tires, but one thing I forgot to add.. I don't like spending a heap on a rear tire because ripping skids is funner than spending lots of money on rear tires.

muvro

Likes Dirt
If that's the case go with a crossmark over a Larsen. I personally prefere the CM as it's a bit better for cornering and general riding, I reckon the Larsen is below average in everything it does.

In saying that, have a look at the Performance range of Schwalbe tyres. I know Northern Beaches cycles has the Racing Ralphs in a 2.25 for 69 bucks. A CM is normally around the 45-50 mark. The Nobby Nics are probably a similar price and the performance benefit will far outweigh any extra cost.

Anthiron

Likes Dirt
Anthiron, you must be about the only person in the world who thinks Nevegals have a strong sidewall; if they work for you so be it. I reckon the HR/Minion combo you're contemplating is both too heavy and WAY too slow for AM riding, unless you normally use lead for tyre sealant.

Purgatory is a nice looking AM tyre, hope it does the goods for you Hippie!

Like i said Wiffle, Im a small guy so I guess i dont need super thick casings ha ha. I havent had a problem with them and have given them a beating.

Have seen a lot of guys on american forums using the DHF single ply minions on AM bikes. Its true though i could do with shaving some weight

needaride

Likes Dirt
Bling Bling..

They dont make them any more do they? That would be the perfect rear tire for me.
Yeah unfortunately they stopped making the Bling Bling.. apparently Gwins mechanic Monk 'found' a few for Gwin to run at the South Africa WC though.. they should keep making them!

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely interested in what you think of the ardents.....have been thinking to pick up a pair
I really like the 2.25" UST version as a front tyre. It grips nicely on pretty much everything so far. I didn't like it so much as a rear tyre. It rolled nicely enough but didn't seem to have any better grip on rocky stuff than a 2.1" UST Small Block 8, which I was very surprised by, and weighs a little more.

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
IME Ardents are quite good as a front tyre, generally good cornering grip (you can lay them over quite a long way) and good braking, but when they let go, they do so with little warning. Not so great if you're pushing the bike hard in turns...

sruge

Likes Dirt
Interesting - my experience with the Ardent has led me to stop using it as a front tyre. It has low rolling resistance for an AM tyre and good grip when it's rolled over onto the edge blocks. However, the transition blocks are fairly low and I found the tyre too drifty when first leaning into the turn. This appears to common experience from reviews I have read. I'm still running one on the rear, as I don't mind the back end drifting about so much. I retreated to the security of a Kenda Nevegal on the front, but the extra weight & rolling resistance is starting to bug me, so I'm on the serach for something lighter/faster. I'm thinking of heading into Schwalbe territory (never been there before) for either a Nobby Nic or the new Hans Dampf, which I've read some good things about.

G-Tek

Likes Bikes
Interesting - my experience with the Ardent has led me to stop using it as a front tyre. It has low rolling resistance for an AM tyre and good grip when it's rolled over onto the edge blocks. However, the transition blocks are fairly low and I found the tyre too drifty when first leaning into the turn. This appears to common experience from reviews I have read. I'm still running one on the rear, as I don't mind the back end drifting about so much. I retreated to the security of a Kenda Nevegal on the front, but the extra weight & rolling resistance is starting to bug me, so I'm on the serach for something lighter/faster. I'm thinking of heading into Schwalbe territory (never been there before) for either a Nobby Nic or the new Hans Dampf, which I've read some good things about.
I love the Nobby Nic 2.4 I run on the front! Cannot fault it at all. Way lighter and faster than the Kenda that came stock. I'd really recommend one, they come in 2.4 or 2.2.

I was running a 2.2 on the rear but would say that if you ride really rocky tracks a lot then go for something else, the side walls are a bit thin and I've slashed mine.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really like the 2.25" UST version as a front tyre. It grips nicely on pretty much everything so far. I didn't like it so much as a rear tyre. It rolled nicely enough but didn't seem to have any better grip on rocky stuff than a 2.1" UST Small Block 8, which I was very surprised by, and weighs a little more.
Hows the sb8 on the back go? Whats the traction like while climbing? And puncture resistance? Can you make a comparison between it and crossmark/racing ralph/etc?

Sorry about the 20 questions. :)

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Tapatalk

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting - my experience with the Ardent has led me to stop using it as a front tyre. It has low rolling resistance for an AM tyre and good grip when it's rolled over onto the edge blocks. However, the transition blocks are fairly low and I found the tyre too drifty when first leaning into the turn. I'm thinking of heading into Schwalbe territory (never been there before) for either a Nobby Nic or the new Hans Dampf, which I've read some good things about.
I had that experience with the NObby Nics when I used them. That was the old tread pattern though. UST sidewalls were extremely weak on the NN too.

Hows the sb8 on the back go? Whats the traction like while climbing? And puncture resistance? Can you make a comparison between it and crossmark/racing ralph/etc?
Climbing traction has been good; at least as good as Crossmarks. However, once the siping wears away from the SB8 the traction is noticably worse. I'm happy to swap between the SB8 and Crossmark because they seem pretty similar to me. Puncture resistance is good on both I've found. Bear in mind I'm running UST versions of each as well. I can't help with the RR sorry. I've only run NN and found them to be extremely overpriced for the performance offered so I've stayed away from Schwalbe tyres. I was going to try the Fat Albert but went for the Conti Rubber Queen instead and knowing how good they are I don't feel like experimenting for the $$$.

Daneel

Likes Dirt
I have a set of the 2.35 nevegals on my '11 Reign: Stick-e front, DTC on the rear, both WITH tubes (don't see the point of tubeless unless you're riding XC), and I have to say, the grip has been amazing at the rear, managed climbs up and over steep wet and/or sandy rock and loose bumf that I never thought anything would grip on - I guess tyres have come a long way since I last rode singletrack. I'm not sold on the front just yet, maybe a few more runs will give me confidence - still testing the grip. Rolling resistance all-round is pretty high and I noticed the effort straight away - the tyres sound 'chunky' over tarmac or rock, but then, I'm using them mainly for downhill, with the odd bit of going up, so for my purpose of light DH they're great.

Overall? They're pretty good. I'm casually looking for a front tyre replacement, but it's not really a concern as yet. As for the rear, while I wish it had lower rolling resistance the massive grip is hard to ignore, so it's staying (for now). I wish they were a shade lighter, but I can live with it for the added durability.