All Mountain Tyres

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was running them and thought they were great, but a bit draggy. Then I swapped to Hans Dampf and they were super slow. So I now am running HR2 rear and HD front, but may also swap to an Ardent rear.
Currently using a Hans Dampf front and Ardent rear. Good grip front and rear. Would recommend this setup.. 26 inch BTW.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Anyone running 2.3 HR2's f&r on a 26inch trail bike? Seems sluggish to me. Might go HR2 front ardent rear soon.
I'm running 2.4's front and back, they do seem to have a bit of resistance but great grip.

I've got a Magic Mary and Rock Razor to try out f & r respectively. Rode NN's once and hated them which put me off Schwalbe.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just replaced the 2.35 HD Trailstar Snakeskin with a 2.35 Nobby Nic Pacestar Snakeskin. I loved the HD up front and got great life out of it but just thought I'd try something different with the new NN.

For those interested, the 2.35 HD Snakeskin that came off was 800g and the 2.35 Snakeskin Nobby Nic that has gone on is 690g.
Still lighter than my Gatestar 2.25 NN haha. Will be interesting to see how you rate the NN vs HD. You've gone for a slightly harder compound.

Luco

Likes Dirt
I'm running a 2.5 minion front and 2.25 ardent rear on my current rig. I really like the grip I get from the minion, but it really is a bit heavy for most of my riding. What would be the next best alternative to shave some weight, but not lose too much grip; go 2.3 minion, high roller 2 or Hans dampf??

mitchy_

Llama calmer
2.3 DHF and HR2 are 10 grams apart, i prefer the DHF grip though.
have been running a 3C DHF up front with a HR2 on the rear of late... so much grip. have just changed back to the 2.25 ardent on the rear to see how i like it though.

Shadow Puppet

Likes Dirt
Still lighter than my Gatestar 2.25 NN haha. Will be interesting to see how you rate the NN vs HD. You've gone for a slightly harder compound.
Rode it this arvo, bike definitely feels lighter up front and rolls better. While side by side the NN doesn't look that much narrower than the HD was (they are both rated as 2.35's), on the bike the slightly more rounded profile of the NN makes it look a little narrower. Super happy with its performance today though and didn't feel any less confident in the turns compared to the HD. Only one ride in but so far I'm happy I changed to the Nic.

angrybadger

Likes Dirt
Been running a DHR2 up front with a Speccy Slaughter Grid at the back for a few rides now. The DHR2 is sublime - it grips as well as the Magic Mary it replaced but with better feedback, rolls much better, and braking is unreal. I did like the extra volume of the MM though... if a 3C DHR 2 ever comes out in a 2.4, I'll snap one up. The Slaughter is really nice but at 1Kg a bit heavy for most of the stuff I ride. I'm keen to get my hands on a Minion SS when they get released.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode it this arvo, bike definitely feels lighter up front and rolls better. While side by side the NN doesn't look that much narrower than the HD was (they are both rated as 2.35's), on the bike the slightly more rounded profile of the NN makes it look a little narrower. Super happy with its performance today though and didn't feel any less confident in the turns compared to the HD. Only one ride in but so far I'm happy I changed to the Nic.
Similarly impressed here. I went from a 2.3 DHF to a 2.25 NN and the NN is really holding its own. Super happy with this tyre for what I ride. Schwalbe must have nailed the tread pattern

demodv8

Likes Dirt
Similarly impressed here. I went from a 2.3 DHF to a 2.25 NN and the NN is really holding its own. Super happy with this tyre for what I ride. Schwalbe must have nailed the tread pattern
Are you talking about the new or old NN , I'm having trouble getting the new one

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been running a DHR2 up front with a Speccy Slaughter Grid at the back for a few rides now. The DHR2 is sublime - it grips as well as the Magic Mary it replaced but with better feedback, rolls much better, and braking is unreal. I did like the extra volume of the MM though... if a 3C DHR 2 ever comes out in a 2.4, I'll snap one up. The Slaughter is really nice but at 1Kg a bit heavy for most of the stuff I ride. I'm keen to get my hands on a Minion SS when they get released.
I have a slaughter in a lighter control casing, a tiny bit more sidewall flex but a reasonable compromise as it's much lighter than the grid casing. They don't appear on the website but my Spesh dealer got it in for me. The control casing is OEM on the current lineup.

I run the Slaughter with a HD up front for trail riding. Run a Mary and DHF combo for Endooro.

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Anyone using a set of Maxxis shorty Exos?

Bought DH set for the AM bike to use for shuttle days, absolutely love these tyres and have been riding XC on them (at 1250+g). They're not exactly great for rolling - but also not as bad as I expected either, in slppery condictions, they are at their best, but also loose, loamy and gravelly not bad at all, off camber is awesome, hardpack is a little squrimy, but in a predictable way. I think I may prefer them over the magic mary, although thats a tough call, those are excellent as well. Not the most precise conclusion - they're just a really fun set of tyres to plow through corners with - and durability wise after 2 days of chairlifting at Buller wear on the rear is minimal.

Just kind of wonder if the exo version holds up as well as the dh versions before I buy a second set, so 2.3 vs 2.4, heavy vs moderate casing.

Last edited:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Anyone using a set of Maxxis shorty Exos?
I bought a 2.3 x 29 for the front of the girlfriends bike. Comes up quite narrow, but has very aggressive tread pattern and large knob sizes. She likes it so far for both wet and dry conditions. I like the much larger volume of the magic Mary though.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Thats what I am worried about, the 2.4's have a nice generous volume, thinking the 2.3's won't - same as a HR2 2.4 vs 2.3, the 2.3 is narrow.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Thats what I am worried about, the 2.4's have a nice generous volume, thinking the 2.3's won't - same as a HR2 2.4 vs 2.3, the 2.3 is narrow.
I've got a 26 x 2.3 HR2 and it blows up a little wider than the 29 x 2.3 shorty, but still narrower than I expected. Running the HR2 on the front for xc and happy with the grip though. I can see it being a good aggressive rear tyre for more gravity riding though. If i do a shuttle day I'll probably try it on the rear.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
that would be amazing but i wont believe it till I see it in person or a press release from maxxis.

high volume minions in 3c = many trail riders dream.

that being said they will prob be about 900gm+
My 26 dhf exo st is 920g so close to 1kg in 27.5 no doubt