All Mountain Tyres

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Friggen stooges!!!
It's okay, I'll grab some for my Stumpy, but that tyre would be Primo for the Sb66.
the worst part is, even speccy's Slaughter is 27.5/29" only... the only one that does that style in 26" is Schwalbes Rock Razor... i have 2 and hate them both. :(

that said though, the tomahawk looks like my next best option, i think i will purchase one.

Z

Zaf

Yeah the Tomahawk's look good, not sure they've got enough side knob though.
Failing that, I have some High Roller II's that I might just take to with a hot knife.
I've never actually tried the Rock Razor, I've heard they're brilliant performing, but have the Schwalbe shortfall of costing about as much as a new kidney and lasting about the same time in minutes as the dollars you spent on it.
They're doing the same with the Crossmark II's, which look like a really good drive tyre...but then only release in Kool-aid.
Another one might be worth checking out is the WTB Trail Boss.
I've just thrown a WTB Vigilante and Wolverine on my Stumpy, and other than some initial not so grippy plastickyness to the tyre (I suspect residue left by the mould) that needs to be ridden off, pretty happy with them.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i've got a HRII i was going to chuck on the rear. i absolutely love my Ikon on the rear, but it's a death wish on wet rocks. the Tomahawk looks like a good compromise between the two.

i've got both my Rock Razors (standard and super gravity) up for sale on the forums... cheap way to test if you like them or not. from what i've read (and experienced) it's very much a love or hate tyre. i expected it to be like an Ikon with more grip when leaned over, but it's too drifty for me.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
tomahawk looks good as a rear for aussie conditions!

ardent is a great intermediate rear tyre with good volume but those little transition and side knobs are really made to work well in loose damp conditions which arnt common in this brown dry land!

Z

Zaf

Haha, I would. But I'm not buying any 26" tyres for a little bit. I kind of kept grabbing "great deals" and now I've got:
2x2.3 Higher Roller II EXO TR, 2.35 Trailstar Magic Mary, 2.35 Trailstar Hans Dampf, 2.3 Minion DHF 3C EXO TR, 2.3 Minion DHR 3C EXO TR, 2.4 and 2.25 Ardent's in EXO TR, 2.3 Shorty 3C EXO TR etc. etc. etc.

At the moment I'm running a Shorty/Ikon, which is a pretty wicked combo. I like the HRII but having gone to the Ikon, you really notice how much faster the Ikon pedals. We have plenty of rocks out here, we don't have any wetness though. I can understand wanting to move away from the Ikon with wetness, I had one on when I was living in Wangaratta for a few months, little bit of moss and some decent morning dew and it was terrifying how fast that tyre was willing to let go on you!!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i'll swap a rock razor for a shorty. :p
that's another one i wanted to try, but in the same boat having a pile of tyres in the shed, it's hard to justifty a new tyre purchase to the wife!

my current setup is a 2.3 3C EXO Minion up front with 2.3 3C EXO Ikon on the rear, the ikon is an absolute ripper of a tyre.

i also want to try a 2.5 DHF EXO 3C up front with the 2.3 Ikon on the rear, i was a fan of the extra width the 2.3 Hans Dampf had.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
your eyes must be painted on. :shocked:

also, 800g and 2.25" no thanks. you can buy wider, lighter Ardents and HR2's for around $35-40.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
your eyes must be painted on. :shocked:

also, 800g and 2.25" no thanks. you can buy wider, lighter Ardents and HR2's for around $35-40.
I said similar, not exact

and Tomahawk is about that weight for 2.3"

Last edited:
Z

Zaf

i'll swap a rock razor for a shorty. :p
that's another one i wanted to try, but in the same boat having a pile of tyres in the shed, it's hard to justifty a new tyre purchase to the wife!

my current setup is a 2.3 3C EXO Minion up front with 2.3 3C EXO Ikon on the rear, the ikon is an absolute ripper of a tyre.

i also want to try a 2.5 DHF EXO 3C up front with the 2.3 Ikon on the rear, i was a fan of the extra width the 2.3 Hans Dampf had.
Haha, the 2.3 Shorty 3C EXO TR took a sharp rock right through the tyre wall, I couldn't bring myself to bin it, but haven't got around to patching it yet either (the hole is just big enough that a patch might not really do a great job). The Shorty I've got on the Yeti at the moment is a 2.5 Gravity casing one, and it's seen some miles. The thing is, it just keeps going, even though the sidewalls of the casing bleed sealant, the knobs are mottled, it still has so much traction. It feels like a Minion that rolls a little slower, and lets you get away with dumb shit. There are times when I've completely overcooked a corner and expected to come out bleeding, just to have had the Shorty punch through, bite in and whip me through it.
Minion DHF or Shorty on the front and Ikon or Ardent for the rear I think is pretty much THE all-rounder combination to beat.

I only run the 2.35 Ikon's, the volume alone gives you such a great footprint, but just a fast tyre. Not to mention, with the loose on hardpack out here, it's a great combo with a big aggressive front, back end just likes to drift a little.

Having tried some WTB's though, pretty happy so far. I think the Trail Boss would make a killer rear tyre. Failing that a Weirwolf. Wolverine isn't too bad, but it's pretty much just WTB's Ikon with a little bit more side knobage and less volume.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm a Schwalbe man through and through, but that Tomahawk looks interesting.
Very odd tread design, as I'm used to big square/rectangle blocks... looks kinda cool.

Interested to hear how it goes.

As for myself, I'm very much enjoying the Magic Mary front / Hans Dampf rear combo. Far better than the Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic (or Rock Razor) rears I had previously.
Barely notice the increased rolling resistance on the dirt, and the grip is far better.

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm a Schwalbe man through and through, but that Tomahawk looks interesting.
Very odd tread design, as I'm used to big square/rectangle blocks... looks kinda cool.

Interested to hear how it goes.

As for myself, I'm very much enjoying the Magic Mary front / Hans Dampf rear combo. Far better than the Hans Dampf front and Nobby Nic (or Rock Razor) rears I had previously.
Barely notice the increased rolling resistance on the dirt, and the grip is far better.
Same used to be schwalbe man but got sick of having to throw tyres out with 50% or more tread remaining due to chunking. After running only one maxxis tyre I'm sold.

Z

Zaf

How do you afford it!?
I loved the Schwalbe rubbers when I run them, but the cheapest I could get them was out of Germany with an extra €22 worth of postage on top, and even the pacestar compound on the rear barely saw 500km before the lugs were ripped to shreds and the casing bleeding air.
Compare that to an Ikon, which, on my Honzo has seen about 800km and going strong.

I live the Schwalbe rubber, they work really well and are so light... Whilst they work. But don't get very much life from them and they are not the cheapest.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm yet to actually tear any knobs off a Schwalbe tyre!

Only one I've had to replace early was a Nobby Nic I sliced the sidewall on.
Even that wasn't enough to cut through, and may have been pretty much cosmetic - but I replaced it for peace of mind.

Z

Zaf

I'm yet to actually tear any knobs off a Schwalbe tyre!
Choppy? Is that you?!

EDIT: Gosh, that seems so much meaner once written down than it sounded in my head!!

http://i.imgur.com/pt1NcpR.jpg

Here's a pic of my Hans Dampf PaceStar from the rear after 500km of riding. Not that although the siping on the side knobs is still intact, they're completely gouged on the inner side from folding over in corners. Wouldn't hook in like that, just gotta let it slide.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Ouch, that looks bad.
I have a tendency to replace mine before they're 50% worn... perhaps that's my problem.
I don't really like running them into the ground!