All Mountain Tyres

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
i think MWI had a rock razor try kill him...

as he mentioned though, it looks like a tyre you need to ride aggressively. if you're not committed to getting it right over on the side knobs, then you've basically riding an XC tyre... certainly not for the girly riders such as myself!
It certainly did, up until that piont I'd been using schwalbes with 100% reliability for 2-3 years, but more than a few people on here have reported reliability issues with the rock razor inparticular. Perhaps a different tyre may have not blown that day, but it seems a common issue.

Looking forward to trying Maxxis version.

Back to the rock razor, traction is actually pretty good, even climbing, as long as you keep the rear wheel load, hence out of the saddle it will slip, but the soft rubber does grip well. It also rolls really good, obviously as this is its star attribute and is a very confident tyre for aggressive cornering, great match for the magic mary. But becuase it has those big side knobs in hard pack you have to lean it over and make it work for you, otherwise you may as well use a more rounded tyre.

The main non murderous issue I have with the rock razor and this was something I was willing to accept for its awesome rolling resistance is the snake skin version is quite sqirmy, feels a lot like that old nobby nic in that regard, the SG carcass feels completely different with no squirm at all... but 50% heavier. And worse, in straight line emergancy braking, when you really need a tyre to bite before you ride off track into a log or whatever, it has no bite at all and the rear skips around. So if your fast and have 'flow' awesome tyre, but if your cautious and like to brake hard into the corners (in a straight line) perhaps there is better tyres for you.

Still probably the best all round rear I have used, although after one failed on me at the worst possible times, resulting in surgeries and now not being able to work fulltime for the foreseeable future, I'm not sure I would use the snake skin version again.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I really like the performance of the rock razor, but have also had some durability issues in the early stages. Have a few cuts through the side knobs (never had this issue with other tyres while riding the same trails). The worst of which went through the side knob and through the casing. Tyre only had a couple of rides on it. Other than that I have found it is good in most areas except braking grip.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423135326.722832.jpg

Z

Zaf

Similar complaints I've heard, they don't have a lot of life in them, kind of wear down quite quickly then puncture out or just don't offer straight line grip.
I've recently put an Ikon 2.35 3C EXO back in the rear of my Yeti. Admittedly I love the Ikon as a rear tyre but have had issues with its thin casing in the past. Also, coming off a High Roller II, the feeling of sliding on glass when this tyre locks up is a bit of a transition. It's got great grip, but it let's go really quickly, predictable enough, but fast. I kind of want an Ikon with an Ardent's casing, just something I can throw on and not need to ride to preserve as much.
This new maxxis seems to fit that bill rather nicely. I'll likely grab a couple upon release.

DJR

Likes Dirt
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/spotted-prototype-maxxis-minion-semi-slick-tire-2015.html

Think this looks great. I've not tried a Rock Razor yet, but I love the concept of the Tyre. Seen some unfortunate failures on them that have held me off trying it, but I imagine a Maxxis DHF with one of these on the back will be a pretty killer combo.

Looks a little like the specialized slaughter

Minion side knobs though, so its gonna be good when run with low pressure or leaned over

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Similar complaints I've heard, they don't have a lot of life in them, kind of wear down quite quickly then puncture out or just don't offer straight line grip.
I've recently put an Ikon 2.35 3C EXO back in the rear of my Yeti. Admittedly I love the Ikon as a rear tyre but have had issues with its thin casing in the past. Also, coming off a High Roller II, the feeling of sliding on glass when this tyre locks up is a bit of a transition. It's got great grip, but it let's go really quickly, predictable enough, but fast. I kind of want an Ikon with an Ardent's casing, just something I can throw on and not need to ride to preserve as much.
This new maxxis seems to fit that bill rather nicely. I'll likely grab a couple upon release.
have you tried an Ardent Race? it's like an Ikon with Ardent side knobs.

Z

Zaf

You can't get an Ardent Race in anything but a 2.20. And she doesn't blow up very big as one of those.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
That's exactly the tire I've been waiting for from Maxxis! Fingers crossed they make a version around 2.2 - 2.25 with an exo casing that weights about the same as an Ikon for XC/ light trail bikes as all the other semi slicks are to burly and wide for those types of bikes.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love my dhr 2 on the front, I have tried both minion dhf and high roller 2 on the front. High roller 2 was just so draggy, good grip but the rolling resistance is too high for me. DHF was good, good rolling resistance and good grip, but braking traction was desired.

DHR2 great grip, great braking and the rolling resistance really surprised me being lower than what I expected.

make sure you cut the dhr2 if its going on the front, refer to blister gear reviews.
Great info, thanks guys

bgs

Likes Bikes
I posted a while back when I first started using a Rock Razor and after a couple of punctures and torn side knobs, I gave it the flick. And as others have said, they don't stop too quick when you are breaking in a straight line. Since then, I have converted to the Hans Damf Trailstar front and Hans Damf Pacestar Rear and for me personally, they are the best combo I have used.

billymtb

Likes Dirt
Did you get a big difference cutting the dhr2, seems like a lot of work to make it look like the hr2 with minion side knobs (L shaped)
I cut it before the first run ;)

edit: I am 70% sure greg minaar ran uncut dhr2's for a world cup race and won. But I like the peace of mind that my tyres will have the best cornering grip that is available from them.

Heres a general question: If I put a downhill/free ride tube in my foldable tyres will that greatly increase their ability to handle choppy terrain and not pinch flat the tyre itself? Because even at 35 psi I have pinch flatted (the actual tyre) both of my minion dhr2's. But I am asking quite a lot of the tyre and I dont have enough time to order super gravity tyres because I am on a riding trip. Tried higher psi but I hate the feel, feels like I'm skating on loose stuff which is not confidence inspiring.

Also, anyone tried Michelin gripr'2 advanced reinforced?

Last edited:

DJR

Likes Dirt
If you can't go tubeless, the dh/freeride tubes are a lot more pinch flat resistant than the thinner ones. Also this might be an old wives tale but some talc between the tyre and tube may also help avoid flats

billymtb

Likes Dirt
If you can't go tubeless, the dh/freeride tubes are a lot more pinch flat resistant than the thinner ones. Also this might be an old wives tale but some talc between the tyre and tube may also help avoid flats

I was tubeless haha. I pinch flatted my tyre meaning there are now two holes in two of my tyres. I'm asking will a dh tube make the tyre a lot more like a dual ply. :)

beejay

Likes Dirt
Heres a general question: If I put a downhill/free ride tube in my foldable tyres will that greatly increase their ability to handle choppy terrain and not pinch flat the tyre itself? Because even at 35 psi I have pinch flatted (the actual tyre) both of my minion dhr2's. But I am asking quite a lot of the tyre and I dont have enough time to order super gravity tyres because I am on a riding trip. Tried higher psi but I hate the feel, feels like I'm skating on loose stuff which is not confidence inspiring.
I wouldn't think so, as the tyre and tube are still seperate so not really creating a thicker side wall, allthough the tube would pinch flat first I would assume, so you'd save the damage from the tyre at the least.

moorey

call me Mia
I actually saw this on a list of 'busted bike myths'. Might make it worse. Can't remember the reason. :noidea:

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Just ordered a 650b 2.3 set Spec Butcher front and Purgatory rear. This will replace Schwalbe HD front and Maxxis HR2 rear. Should drop almost half a kilo and hopefully still be grippy enough for our tracks. I love the HD front but it is way to tight on my rim.

jrewing

Eats Squid
If you get any moisture in there, it'll turn into glue.
Talc in tubes?

i run it in my mx bikes. it helps stop friction between the tube and the inside of the tyre. My tubes last years, flats never. the little rubber balls inside the tyre.. dont happen. i always do it. its never turned to glue even when i power wash the bikes.

Myth Busters - Dont trust Ranga's.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Just ordered a 650b 2.3 set Spec Butcher front and Purgatory rear. This will replace Schwalbe HD front and Maxxis HR2 rear. Should drop almost half a kilo and hopefully still be grippy enough for our tracks. I love the HD front but it is way to tight on my rim.
Nice choice on the butcher, shoulda gone something faster on the rear though. The new slaughter or even the old captain tyre are a better rear than the purg IMO.

crim 87

Likes Dirt
the slaughter is def a summer only tyre it has zero traction on wet rocks. specialized make some amazing tyres light and super long lasting wouldn't mide trying some maxxis for something different though never used them

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Talc in tubes?

i run it in my mx bikes. it helps stop friction between the tube and the inside of the tyre. My tubes last years, flats never. the little rubber balls inside the tyre.. dont happen. i always do it. its never turned to glue even when i power wash the bikes.

Myth Busters - Dont trust Ranga's.
Try some mouse lube in your MX