All Mountain Tyres

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi guys, can I get some advice on a new rear tyre. I am running a 2.4 ardent up front which I am happy with and a 2.2 ikon exo tr on the rear, both tubeless on 35mm wide carbon rims.

Bike is a 5" travel do it all trail bike and ridden pretty aggressive through rock gardens etc. but I have been getting lots of pinch flats on the rear tyre and want to replace it.

I think the issue is the narrow 2.2 on the wide 35mm rim but its just a guess. I'd prefer to stick with maxxis, what would be a good rear tyre to suit these wide rims?

cheers.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
ikon 2.35 is a much bigger balloon than the 2.2 ikon. I'd chuck one of them on if you believe the bag size is the issue. Make sure you get the one with exo sidewalls.

if you want more tread why not shove another 2.4 ardent on the back? they are cheap and bloody excellent rear tyres!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
If you're happy with the ikon's performance, other than the flats, try an ardent race, or even a bigger ikon. I have 2.35s front and rear on the XC rig, and they suit my girly riding fine.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I never found any problem with grip although this is the only tyre I have run on this bike as its pretty new. The pinch flats have ruined my day 3 times now so this is the main problem to solve. It may just be all the rain we have had lately, there is a lot of exposed sharp rocks where the sand has washed away on my usual trails.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
how are you getting pinch flats with tubeless? if you're pinching and puncturing the tyre casing, then you are probably running too low pressure.

stirk

Burner
I never found any problem with grip although this is the only tyre I have run on this bike as its pretty new. The pinch flats have ruined my day 3 times now so this is the main problem to solve. It may just be all the rain we have had lately, there is a lot of exposed sharp rocks where the sand has washed away on my usual trails.
The trails in my area are very eroded with 10-20cm deep channels in some steep sections just waiting to catch you out if you dropped into them at speed.

Are you running too low a pressure for the new conditions perhaps?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The first time was too low for sure but the last two I had plenty of pressure as I was pretty paranoid.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got myself a Ardent 2.4 EXO TR yesterday for the rear and set it up tubeless. I was a little worried about frame clearance in my 5010cc but it fit no problem. First ride went well and the change in rolling resistance over the Ikon was not noticeable.

rtd

Likes Dirt
I was keen to try out the bigger bag Ikon out back, because I've loved the smaller ones on my pump track bike. I was told however that it was quite a bit bigger than the high roller 2.3 bag, which I'm running up front. At a risk of effecting bike handling, I want to avoid having a bigger rear tire than front.

Anyway, what are people running on the front if they're running the big ikon out back?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running the 2.4 ardent front and rear now, on 35mm rims it gives me a decent size contact patch without too much weight penalty.

teK--

Eats Squid
Update re wider minions

Info received from Maxxis in Taiwan and Australia:

"We do have the plan to release 27.5x2.5 Minion DHF TR with EXO and 26/27.5/29x2.4 Minion DHR II TR with EXO.

Both of the models have 2 compound configurations: 3C MaxxTerra and Dual Compound. Because they are newly released, it may take up to 6 months for them to be available in Australia."

Australia said available to order from LBS around late October. Taiwan was tight lipped about release elsewhere in world but I get impression we would be able to buy from o/s earlier.

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
After reading many reviews in magazines and online, I thought I would share my current favourite pick of tyres and in no particular order:

Front:
Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Specialized Butcher Control, Maxxis High Roller II, Bontrager XR4

Rear:
Schwalbe Rock Razor, Maxxis Ikon, Specialized Slaughter Control, Maxxis Ardent Race

I should note that these are my favourite picks, not necessarily yours. And I'm sure there are many more great tyres out there for a variety of surfaces and riding styles.

I ride a modern six-inch-travel bike, mostly at Mt Stromlo and I'd categorise most of my riding as aggressive trail / all mountain / enduro. Since I have to climb to the top, I like the idea of a faster rolling tyre. If I was riding Thredbo or shuttles all year, I'd get a more aggressive tyre for the rear.

Last edited:

dogboy*

Squid
hans dampf / racing ralph

After reading many reviews in magazines and online, I thought I would share my current favourite pick of tyres and in no particular order:

Front:
Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Specialized Butcher Control, Maxxis High Roller II, Bontrager XR4

Rear:
Schwalbe Rocket Ron, Maxxis Ikon, Specialized Slaughter Control, Maxxis Ardent Race

I should note that these are my favourite picks, not necessarily yours. And I'm sure there are many more great tyres out there for a variety of surfaces and riding styles.

I ride a modern six-inch-travel bike, mostly at Mt Stromlo and I'd categorise most of my riding as aggressive trail / all mountain / enduro. Since I have to climb to the top, I like the idea of a faster rolling tyre. If I was riding Thredbo or shuttles all year, I'd get a more aggressive tyre for the rear.
Been using a HD front and Racing Ralph rear for almost 3 months at Stromlo/Majura/Kowen - HD is great and grip level on the RR was suprisingly good...ignored the warning signs on the RR with little sealant leaks and finally put too big a hole in it last Sunday at Stromlo. Will be looking for something a bit tougher - maybe put a new HD on the front and the current front HD on the back.

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
Been using a HD front and Racing Ralph rear for almost 3 months at Stromlo/Majura/Kowen - HD is great and grip level on the RR was suprisingly good...ignored the warning signs on the RR with little sealant leaks and finally put too big a hole in it last Sunday at Stromlo. Will be looking for something a bit tougher - maybe put a new HD on the front and the current front HD on the back.
I've run the Racing Ralph up front before for XC race training and I like the tyre. Fast, good grip and nice supple side walls which means less cut resistance. I had no issues luckily but after my race I went back to my Specialized Butcher with an Ikon with Exo protection out the back.

For my next tyres I'll be trying the Bontrager XR4 up front and either the Schwalbe Rock Razor or Specialized Slaughter Control

Correction to my previous post, I meant rocket razor not rocket ron.

didly86

Likes Dirt
ATM I'm running a 2.35 rock razor rear and a single ply 2.5 minion front .
I ride more downhill than uphill , I find the two to be a good match in the wet condition , the rock razor rolls really well and slides untill you lean the bike over and it grips and your away again , I also have been using the same bike on a ten k ride to work nearly every day

Last edited:

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
maybe put a new HD on the front and the current front HD on the back.
HD front and rear goes well! I've found the rear gets pretty hammered though, front is still new!

I run Super Gravity HD's and weight penalty is noticable, I've been running my current setup since November and I haven't touched it, sealant is probably cactus, I only add/drop air where necessary! So happy with that!

A couple of guys I ride with run the heavier versions of tyres (DH casing's) and have agreed the weight penalty is worth it as opposed from getting flats from tearing/burping tyres! A bloke that rides with us that still uses tubes flats almost every ride, at least we get a breather whilst he's fixing it! :p

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
I've been running a 2.2" 650b Ikon on the rear for a while now and it's pretty slippery sometimes, but it adds some fun to the rides when it lets go. The 2.35" will be next I think!

Still running the DHR II 2.3 on the front and it's excellent, love it a lot.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the rock razor rolls really well and slides untill you lean the bike over and it grips and your away again
Excellent to hear! I acquired a brand new Rock Razor off a mate who hated it, he didn't like the sliding, he said it'll prob suit me as I don't mind a bit of sideways! Haha! I'll put it on the rear when the HD gives up, it's hanging in there though!