All Mountain Tyres

mitchy_

Llama calmer

Dodgy ass photo, but as you can see,pretty square on the old 38mm wides.
is that not just the nature of the tyre though? i mean it has huge side knobs and nothing up the guts. my slaughter on 29mm ID rim is squarish, and rock razor on a 21mm Arch Ex wasn't much better, and that's a relatively skinny rim.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah doesn't look much worse than when it's on my hope, which is 25ish I think?

How's it ride on a wide rim?

Z

Zaf

Dunno yet. That's on my 2016 Stumpy frame, and I'm just waiting for a chainring now to finish the build.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Currently running Hans Dampf front and Rock Razor rear, was previously running HD front and rear.

RR on the rear feels a little loose but seems to roll along better than the HD, will keep it on the bike!

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
Currently running Hans Dampf front and Rock Razor rear, was previously running HD front and rear.

RR on the rear feels a little loose but seems to roll along better than the HD, will keep it on the bike!
What's the ID of the rims you running the Rock Razor on?

moman

Likes Dirt
Summer tyres in the snowys?

So planning some extended time in the NSW and Victorian alps to ride all of the big name trails over summer but not sure what tyre combo to ride on my sb95. Will be doing more trail riding/gravity than flat out downhill. Don't really want to buy any new tyres but have a number of maxxis tyres to choose from:

Ardent 2.4
Ardent 2.25
Ardent race
Ikon 2.35
High roller 2
2x dhr2
Minion ss

Any recommendations for a good combo or two as I've never ridden down there?

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
So planning some extended time in the NSW and Victorian alps to ride all of the big name trails over summer but not sure what tyre combo to ride on my sb95. Will be doing more trail riding/gravity than flat out downhill. Don't really want to buy any new tyres but have a number of maxxis tyres to choose from:

Ardent 2.4
Ardent 2.25
Ardent race
Ikon 2.35
High roller 2
2x dhr2
Minion ss

Any recommendations for a good combo or two as I've never ridden down there?
Most places should be dry and dusty in the region. I'd go with either dhr2 or high roller front and either minion ss or ikon rear. Haven't ridden the minion ss or dhr2 though. The high roller worked fairly well for me in dry conditions, but I'm not sure how it would compare to the dhr2. The ikon is a great rear tyre in the dry. I would leave your ardents at home (just a personal preference)

Ultra Lord

Dhf2.3 front, ss 2.3 rear.

2 extended laps out at Appin on that combo yesterday, soooo much fun.

Ride fast, skid long!

Edit: didn't see a dhf on that list. Minion dhr front then.

Last edited:

moman

Likes Dirt
Dhf2.3 front, ss 2.3 rear.

2 extended laps out at Appin on that combo yesterday, soooo much fun.

Ride fast, skid long!

Edit: didn't see a dhf on that list. Minion dhr front then.
How did you find the minion ss? Hooks up well? Doesn't spin out too much on the climbs or lock up too much when braking? Ps I haven't put mine on yet!

Ultra Lord

It did once or twice, but no worse than an ardent out back. And where it spun, there was no chance I'd ride up it anyway.

climbing efficiency aside, holy crap is it a hoot going down.

It also locks up easily, but I don't mind that. You have the grippy front for heavy braking. Rears just for skids

Last edited:

iUDEX_nCr

Likes Dirt
How did you find the minion ss? Hooks up well? Doesn't spin out too much on the climbs or lock up too much when braking? Ps I haven't put mine on yet!
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm running a DHR2 2.3 front, and SS 2.3 rear... on 30mm ID rims.

The SS does spin on loose (over hard) terrain in the climbs. So it's something you'd need to adjust to.
Never had that issue with Mountain Kings 2.4, HR 2 2.3, Shorty 2.3, or DHR 2 2.3 on the rear.

Compared to the HR2 it grips better in the corners, but braking in loose/medium is significantly diminished. Makes up for it in rolling resistance.

Would want to try some of the WT tyres, the IKON, Rock Razors...
Potentially Nobby Nics, only for weight savings... because I'm pretty happy with the DHR2 up front.

teK--

Eats Squid
I know you didn't ask me, but I'm running a DHR2 2.3 front, and SS 2.3 rear... on 30mm ID rims.

The SS does spin on loose (over hard) terrain in the climbs. So it's something you'd need to adjust to.
Never had that issue with Mountain Kings 2.4, HR 2 2.3, Shorty 2.3, or DHR 2 2.3 on the rear.

Compared to the HR2 it grips better in the corners, but braking in loose/medium is significantly diminished. Makes up for it in rolling resistance.

Would want to try some of the WT tyres, the IKON, Rock Razors...
Potentially Nobby Nics, only for weight savings... because I'm pretty happy with the DHR2 up front.

Took minion dhf 2.5 wt out on weekend, 30mm rims. Amazing. Hooks up so well and very controllable slide. Loose and loose over hard it is tones better than the shorty during summer.

slowmick

38-39"
Took minion dhf 2.5 wt out on weekend, 30mm rims. Amazing. Hooks up so well and very controllable slide. Loose and loose over hard it is tones better than the shorty during summer.
sounds like a good choice. where did you try them out?

MrLazy

Likes Bikes
I don't know if my original post went through..

But I'm looking at getting some new tyres for my giant alias 26" XC bike. Have been out of mtb for a while and my tyres are basically gone. Will be looking at heading out to stromlo and Bruce ridge mainly so what would be best atackling this? Slow to medium pace.

Any advice would be great!