All Mountain Tyres

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've done similar damage to UST tires myself. That experience wither every other pinch flat has led me to wonder if some kind of rubber or durable silicon edging on rims would solve much of this problem without adding the weight of Huck Norris and similar kit.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Does anyone have any experience with the Minion DHF/DHRII plus tyres?

Available in 3C Maxxterra. In 27.5 they're only 2.8s so I suspect they could be shoe-horned into a few standard frames/forks.

Love my Magic Mary/Hans Dampf combo, but tempted to experiment with something new. Either running the DHF/DHRII plus combo, or running the DHF plus on the front and a 2.5 DHF WT on the rear.

Only concern is the internal diameter of my rims which is only 29mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I've done similar damage to UST tires myself. That experience wither every other pinch flat has led me to wonder if some kind of rubber or durable silicon edging on rims would solve much of this problem without adding the weight of Huck Norris and similar kit.
The other one is some kind of compound that when mixed creates gaseous bubbles (pumping the tyre up a little) and then setting lightweight and flexible but very tough. That way you get a large-bubble type foam in your tyre that has lots of air pockets where when one or two pop all they do is release the gas into the rest of the tyre or into the next bubble where the pressure equalises between the two chambers. The other approach is that they don't have to be air bubbles to create cushion but the substance that foams up is robust and springy to the point where it doesn't matter if the air moves in and out of the tyre.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Does anyone have any experience with the Minion DHF/DHRII plus tyres?

Available in 3C Maxxterra. In 27.5 they're only 2.8s so I suspect they could be shoe-horned into a few standard frames/forks.

Love my Magic Mary/Hans Dampf combo, but tempted to experiment with something new. Either running the DHF/DHRII plus combo, or running the DHF plus on the front and a 2.5 DHF WT on the rear.

Only concern is the internal diameter of my rims which is only 29mm.

I'm running a 2.3 DHF on the front of my Norco Sight, which 'only' has 29mm rims, and I have no complaints at all. Plenty of grip, and it's a very wide tyre for its size on that rim.

I was running a DHRII on the rear, but swapped it for an SS. It had a ton of grip, but too much rolling resistance. The SS rolls and pedals a lot better.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Anyone had a crack at the newer Michelin AM tyres, or the Schwalbe Addix series yet?
Not the new AM models but I've got a Michelin Force XC I'll be throwing on the rear in a couple of weeks. Looks a decent enough rear trail tyre.

I'll also be trying the Addix as soon as I can get my hands on some. Hoping for better wear than the current Schwalbes

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running a 2.3 DHF on the front of my Norco Sight, which 'only' has 29mm rims, and I have no complaints at all. Plenty of grip, and it's a very wide tyre for its size on that rim.

I was running a DHRII on the rear, but swapped it for an SS. It had a ton of grip, but too much rolling resistance. The SS rolls and pedals a lot better.
Yep, have had a similar experience with standard width minions. More after feedback on the 2.8 plus minions in particular

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
I don't mind additional weight... but wanting to run tubeless preferably.

Lack of availability on 26" though.... oh well

Maybe something like Huck Norris in the Ardent qould have prevented...
Both the double down and super gravity casings are tubeless ready and will help prevent all manner of flats over their standard exo and snakeskin casings.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Both the double down and super gravity casings are tubeless ready and will help prevent all manner of flats over their standard exo and snakeskin casings.

Alright will take a look... significantly more expensive so will probably tear up when i do put a hole in one ha

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Been running tubeless Ardent 2.4 in 26 on my 823 rims... big hole right along ust bead on weekend even running about 32 psi.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good tough tyre that's available in 26" for enduro/dh/allmtn type riding for a guy about 90kgs on a old Nomad?

I seem to either get holes in tread too big to seal up or right along the bead. Have never torn a sidewall in my life!

Tyre options are startimg to get limited.
Aggressor is available in 26, in both exo and DD, great all rounder for the rear.

moorey

call me Mia
Alright will take a look... significantly more expensive so will probably tear up when i do put a hole in one ha
I love the minion SS. They come in the DD too. I mounted mine for NZ, then opted for the lighter EXO casing, which I've never managed to kill on any bike...but I'm 75kg, and don't ride as hard as some.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
I love the minion SS. They come in the DD too. I mounted mine for NZ, then opted for the lighter EXO casing, which I've never managed to kill on any bike...but I'm 75kg, and don't ride as hard as some.
Well Moorey as you saw or may have seen from that collection of tyres i sent your way I'm working my way through some!

moorey

call me Mia
Well Moorey as you saw or may have seen from that collection of tyres i sent your way I'm working my way through some!
This is true...what about silkworm casing? That might only be in the tread. Not sure. I just checked the prices on the DD SS...it is a lot dearer. Thought my lbs was ripping me off when I bought on, seeing it was almost double the EXO versions I had.
What about the DH casing ardent? Do they still do those? Sure it's a bit heavier, but should roll ok...
Maybe it's just time to put the gnarr away...and ride more like me...

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Not the new AM models but I've got a Michelin Force XC I'll be throwing on the rear in a couple of weeks. Looks a decent enough rear trail tyre.

I'll also be trying the Addix as soon as I can get my hands on some. Hoping for better wear than the current Schwalbes
Thanks m80!
Might look around online and see if I can find any user reports on the Michelin AM pair.

I do like that the introduction of Schwalbe's Addix has brought the price down on the old models.
I've never really had issues with wear on Schwalbe tyres, to be honest.

Still running on the same Hans Dampf and Magic Mary combo I bought 2 years ago.
The front still looks great and the rear is only just starting to shred up a bit on the side knobs since moving them to a hardtail.

Also ran the super soft 'Vertstar' compound Magic Mary on the DH bike for 2 years before they needed changing.

Maybe I need to rip into berms harder. :smow:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Can't be arsed reading the whole thread. Need recommendation running
30mm internal Rims. Fairly aggressive rider. Sydney's typical sandstone with loose over hardback.
DHF/DHRII WT or DHF 2.3/ Aggressor combo?
Hate climbing.... currently running HRII/SS on a 150/140mm coil sprung rig.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

SDA

Likes Dirt
30mm internal Rims. Fairly aggressive rider. Sydney's typical sandstone with loose over hardback.

Bontrager SE5 is a great front tyre. RRP is expensive though.

After reading a review of the Rock Razor on Pinkbike by Richard Cunningham (pinkbike and MBAction fame) where he declared it his favourite rear tyre, I asked him what his favourite front tyre was... he said Magic Mary or Bontrager SE5. Considering his access to the amount of different tyres he has, I thought I would give it a crack. Since getting the pressure right (21 psi on 30mm internal rims) I haven't thought about it again - no issues or quirks whatsoever. Great front tyre.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Bontrager SE5 is a great front tyre. RRP is expensive though.

After reading a review of the Rock Razor on Pinkbike by Richard Cunningham (pinkbike and MBAction fame) where he declared it his favourite rear tyre, I asked him what his favourite front tyre was... he said Magic Mary or Bontrager SE5. Considering his access to the amount of different tyres he has, I thought I would give it a crack. Since getting the pressure right (21 psi on 30mm internal rims) I haven't thought about it again - no issues or quirks whatsoever. Great front tyre.
I've thought about an SE5. Met a bloke out last weekend with the new 2018 Remedy and he was raving about the SE5 Team. $100 though makes me uncomfortable..... nearly the same price for a front tyre for my road Moto.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Thanks m80!
Might look around online and see if I can find any user reports on the Michelin AM pair.

I do like that the introduction of Schwalbe's Addix has brought the price down on the old models.
I've never really had issues with wear on Schwalbe tyres, to be honest.

Still running on the same Hans Dampf and Magic Mary combo I bought 2 years ago.
The front still looks great and the rear is only just starting to shred up a bit on the side knobs since moving them to a hardtail.

Also ran the super soft 'Vertstar' compound Magic Mary on the DH bike for 2 years before they needed changing.

Maybe I need to rip into berms harder. :smow:
I've been on the Force XC rear for a few weeks now.

I can only compare it to tyres like the Ardent Race 2.2 and Racing Ralph 2.25.

It spanks the Ardent Race in every way - bigger volume, better casing that sets up tubeless easily (need good tyre levers though), lighter, rolls at least as good if not better, surprisingly good braking traction, corners much better.

There's a still a few areas where the Ralph is better, mainly weight, climbing traction and rolling speed, but based on my experience if I had to choose between something like an Ardent or Aggressor as a rear vs the Force AM (same tread pattern as the XC but much larger knobs), I'd probably give the Force AM a crack first.

EDIT: The Michelin tyres are also fairly well priced on CRC

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

We ride the same trails with the same ID rims.

My new bike came with a DHF 2.5WT/Aggressor combo, coming from a Hans Dampf/NN pairing. I won't be going back to the Schwalbes anytime soon- I've been stock piling the Maxxis' so I have a year or so worth of rubber in the garage.

TL/DR try out the DHF/Aggressor.