All Mountain Tyres

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
is there any difference in the spacing of the tread blocks in these 2 tyres? one says WT and the other doesn't, but both are 2.5 width

Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 3C Maxx Grip - 2 Ply DH - TR Kevlar Folding Black
and
Maxxis DHF 29 x 2.5 3C Maxx Terra - EXO WT - TR Kevlar FoldingBlack
When you find some of the WT's in stock somewhere can you post up where, I'm looking for a spare.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
^ thanks mate, maybe I'm just a bit blind but I can't see any WT's in that lot, I might just try the standard ones (or hold out until my current stash runs out).

BT180

Max Pfaff
Got a set of Onza Ibex EDC's on he bike last night - keen to see how they go!
I've had one on the rear for a couple of months now and it's been great. Although it's wearing quickly, but that's to be expected in the RC²45a compound.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After much procrastinating I finally got myself some 29id carbon wheels built up and mounted up my hans damph/Nobby nic combo from my old narrow alu wheels. Straight up it was drag central on the rear.. Thought the rotor was rubbing when on the flat trails. On the downs it wasn't as noticeable but this bike (130mm 29er) is my all rounder, it still needs to peddle reasonably efficently on hardpack.. So i pulled off the NN and put on a new rock razor.. That was even worse rolling wise, dunno if the wide rim squared it off too much but it felt like absolute shite..
So, with dread, I mounted up my old 2.25 ardent and surprisingly it was a much better tyre on the wider rim and lower psi.. I fkn hated that tyre front or rear, would have rather used a crossmark but in the dry it did really well..
So now to the point, what sort of decent volume rear tyres that roll reasonably fast are you lot running? The hans damph on the front ain't fast but it does all mountain and xc good enough for me.. The ardent (shudder) is doing the job atm but what else is out there?

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
After much procrastinating I finally got myself some 29id carbon wheels built up and mounted up my hans damph/Nobby nic combo from my old narrow alu wheels. Straight up it was drag central on the rear.. Thought the rotor was rubbing when on the flat trails. On the downs it wasn't as noticeable but this bike (130mm 29er) is my all rounder, it still needs to peddle reasonably efficently on hardpack.. So i pulled off the NN and put on a new rock razor.. That was even worse rolling wise, dunno if the wide rim squared it off too much but it felt like absolute shite..
So, with dread, I mounted up my old 2.25 ardent and surprisingly it was a much better tyre on the wider rim and lower psi.. I fkn hated that tyre front or rear, would have rather used a crossmark but in the dry it did really well..
So now to the point, what sort of decent volume rear tyres that roll reasonably fast are you lot running? The hans damph on the front ain't fast but it does all mountain and xc good enough for me.. The ardent (shudder) is doing the job atm but what else is out there?
Vittoria Saguaro and Mezcal are ridiculously good for the rear in dry conditions. Very fast, good not great grip, but importantly very predictable. Bike24 also have the Mezcal 29x 2.1 on sale at the moment for 18 euros ($27 aud).

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The hans damph on the front ain't fast but it does all mountain and xc good enough for me.. The ardent (shudder) is doing the job atm but what else is out there?
I have Hans up front and an Ardent on the rear for quite a few months now. I like it as a combo. I'm partial to a big puffy grab all front tyre. The Ardent rolls well, has enough bag to be comfy and tractors up hills. Still hasn't worn much.

I think you could do worse but it is always good to be open to better combos. The tread patterns of both just look like they would work well IMHO.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have Hans up front and an Ardent on the rear for quite a few months now. I like it as a combo. I'm partial to a big puffy grab all front tyre. The Ardent rolls well, has enough bag to be comfy and tractors up hills. Still hasn't worn much.
Agree, I'm a big fan of the HD puff bag too, corners great when leaning over half way or right on the side knobs. I am prejudiced against the ardent but re-purposed on wide rims it was acceptable.. Maybe I save myself some bucks till winter ..

Vittoria Saguaro and Mezcal are ridiculously good for the rear in dry conditions. Very fast, good not great grip, but importantly very predictable. Bike24 also have the Mezcal 29x 2.1 on sale at the moment for 18 euros ($27 aud).
Thanks I have heard of the Saguaro not so much the Mezcal will check them out. Saguaro looks great..

To add to the mix, How does the 2.3 ikon,Rocket ron/racing ralph with a big banger tyre upfront roll?

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I like the RRs up front in the dry. They wear too quickly on the back and don't roll as well as the Vittorias.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Big JD

Wheel size expert
I have the same issues at the moment. Hans up front is just fine but NN is tragic. I like the ardent race or I have a Griffin on currently which is doing a great job.
I would stay clear if RR, NN and RR on the rear for general trail riding. Stick with Maxxis up the rear

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've settled for Aggressor on rear for both bikes now. HD front on hardtail, Minion DHF on the big bike.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I have the same issues at the moment. Hans up front is just fine but NN is tragic. I like the ardent race or I have a Griffin on currently which is doing a great job.
I would stay clear if RR, NN and RR on the rear for general trail riding. Stick with Maxxis up the rear
Did you get the SG Hans or the snakeskin?
I've got the SG version coming and going to pair it with a SG rock razor rear on the Banshee Phantom TF29erHFE

Jpez

Down on the left!
I've settled for Aggressor on rear for both bikes now. HD front on hardtail, Minion DHF on the big bike.
Yeah I really like the Aggressor a lot. Its like the Maxxis Goldilocks rear tire for me and my riding. I have run a DHR2 on the rear and didn't love it. Then tried a Minion SS because Morey reckons they are Bonza but didn't get along with that either so went back to my trusty Aggressor and happy days again.
Im looking forward to the 27.5 2.5WT becoming available in OZ this week sometime.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Brief review on the Onza Ibex EDC's.

I've had 4 solid sessions riding (1 x Green Valleys + 3 x Thredbo) and the tyres are great! I've been feeling confident with them on a variety of terrain, and wet/dry dirt! Would def recommend them!

I've had one on the rear for a couple of months now and it's been great. Although it's wearing quickly, but that's to be expected in the RC²45a compound.
The rear tyre is showing a fair bit of wear but expected given the riding I've been doing, on par with soft Schwalbe Hans Dampfs I've run previously at Thredbo.